Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nuclear War (WWIII) Imminent?

Nuclear War (WWIII) Imminent?
SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 10:19 PM

With all of these ongoing issues between the United States (and rest of the world) and North Korea and Iran, am I the only individual who feels very strongly we will see a breakout of a nuclear war, presumably World War III, in the near future?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 10:39 PM

Frankly right now I don't think the tension is there for a world war. China, US, and Russia get along for the most part, China especially enjoys the benefits of US trade and vice versa.

I think in order to avoid Sino-US tensions from rising, the two countries should us NK as an opportunity to cooperate. Specifically, US should approach China with some tactics to bring down the NK regime, in exchange for some sort of deal on Taiwan. In theory that is making a deal with the devil, but in practice it might make US and China view each other as serious allies.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 11:18 PM

Yes. Yes, you are the only person that thinks that.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 11:52 PM

All out nuclear war requires two things. Nuclear capabilities and an effective delivery system. The countries that possess both of those seem to be getting along rather well right now (except for the Pakistan/India thing, but they seem to have cooled down for the time being). There is only two countries I could see using nukes right now, that would be North Korea (KJI is a mentally disturbed individual) and Israel (They don't say they have them, but I'd put 50:1 odds that they really do in Vegas right now). North Korea should realize that by nuking someone, they would just end up with a country full of green fields, glowing green, that is.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 11:57 PM

What is worrying is that if Korea nukes Japan (or US, like Hawaii) then the US will, according to the rules of engagement, nuke NK. NK is an ally of China and so it could become a full out war between China and America.

The odds of this happening are slim though.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Frankly right now I don't think the tension is there for a world war. China, US, and Russia get along for the most part, China especially enjoys the benefits of US trade and vice versa.

I think in order to avoid Sino-US tensions from rising, the two countries should us NK as an opportunity to cooperate. Specifically, US should approach China with some tactics to bring down the NK regime, in exchange for some sort of deal on Taiwan. In theory that is making a deal with the devil, but in practice it might make US and China view each other as serious allies.
Completely agree, though I wouldn't worry about deals with the devil; the US (and every other Western nation) has already made many deals with the devil/China simply through that mutually beneficial trade you mentioned.

Also, to the OP, "nuclear war" is not necessarily "world war". I see a possibility for nuclear war between the US and NK, and while this would have world wide environmental impacts, I seriously doubt it would become a world war (there aren't many nations that would side with NK).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
There is only two countries I could see using nukes right now, that would be North Korea (KJI is a mentally disturbed individual) and Israel (They don't say they have them, but I'd put 50:1 odds that they really do in Vegas right now).
You think Israel is hiding it's nukes in Vegas?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
You think Israel is hiding it's nukes in Vegas?
That would explain the damn temple.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Jul 8, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpyManiac007
With all of these ongoing issues between the United States (and rest of the world) and North Korea and Iran, am I the only individual who feels very strongly we will see a breakout of a nuclear war, presumably World War III, in the near future?

Not even close.

Now if you were around during the 'Cuban Crisis' that was one second to twelve.

Our city had air raid drills.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2006, 12:49 AM

We've been under the "threat" of nucular™ war since the invention of the bomb.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 01:20 AM

The events that led up to World War II are nothing like what are happening now. The larger concern is internal strife by radicals in western countries and even that is not something that would threaten an end to current governments the way WWII did. As for North Korea, no one would ally themselves with them if they preemptively attack Japan or (haha) the U.S. Kim Jong is pretty delusional but he seems to have his self-preservation instincts intact.

If they do though, expect a draft here in the U.S. if we don't get enough help from the rest of the world. No world war, but it would still be bad.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 11:05 AM

don't worry lad, you will be economically bankrupt and victim of a pandemic disease before WW3 starts

{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2006, 11:10 AM

Actually, keep track:

WWIII was the cold war. Ended without firing much of any shots.

WWIV is what we may well be witnessing the start of.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/08072006/32...st-regime.html

TEHRAN (AFP) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called on Islamic countries to mobilise against Israel and "remove" the "Zionist regime".
"The basic problem in the Islamic world is the existence of the Zionist regime, and the Islamic world and the region must mobilise to remove this problem," the president said in a speech to regional officials.

He was speaking at the opening of a two-day conference in Tehran on security in Iraq.

"Today there is a strong will... to remove the Zionist regime and implement a legal Palestinian regime all over Palestine. The continued survival of this regime (Israel) means nothing but suffering for the region," Ahmadinejad said.

"The biggest threat today for the region is the existence of the fake Zionist regime," he added, before going on to attack Israel's supporters.

"I am reminding them to stop the crimes of this corrupt government before it is too late, and open the way for a government arising from the votes of the indigenous people of Palestine, all over Palestine," the president said.

He also issued an ominous warning to Western powers.

"Nations in the region will be more furious every day, and it will not be long before this intense fury will lead to a huge explosion," Ahmadinejad said.

"The waves of fury of Muslim nations will not be confined within the boundaries of the region, and the people who close their ears to the cries of the Palestinians and blindly support this regime will be responsible for the consequences," he warned.
So, he threatens the nations of the world.

Who was present at the 'security conference' where he said this?

Arab officials from Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Syria were gathered in Tehran Saturday for a two-day conference on security in Iraq.

IF these countries act on Ahmadinejad's words, and do attack western nations, what would prevent that from being World War IV?

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 9, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
don't worry lad, you will be economically bankrupt and victim of a pandemic disease before WW3 starts
Agree

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2006, 12:21 PM

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2006, 01:15 PM

Greetings Professor Falken.

Shall we play a game?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules