Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking With School Newspaper

Networking With School Newspaper
SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 04:17 PM

Hello. I'm trying to connect to my school's server. I've connected to the network successfully, but can't seem to turn on AppleTalk correctly.

I go into my System prefs -> network -> caledonian -> AppleTalk. I select AppleTalk active and click apply now. But it never allows me to choose an AppleTalk Zone, which is how I allow my computer to see the school's server.

Anyone know if this could be hindering somewhere?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 04:30 PM

Does your school's network support AppleTalk? It' a) a Mac specific protocol that b) is obsolescent.

And are you supposed to be able to connect to this network?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SpyManiac007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Does your school's network support AppleTalk? It' a) a Mac specific protocol that b) is obsolescent.

And are you supposed to be able to connect to this network?
Yes it supports AppleTalk. When I try and list all of the available on the network, I only have 137. The teacher has 169. Her panel says AppleTalk on and has a zone selected. We deselected it and hers went to 137. Then she reselected and it went to 169 again. The server I need is one of those 33 folders missing.

Yes, it's for our high school newspaper and I'm the new ads / business manager. I just bought my own 17" MBP so we're trying to configure it correctly.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 08:27 PM

Is there some sort of password for that other zone? Something special in her computer that you don't have configured in yours? It's got to be somehing like that...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules