Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My ancestors gave me the cure for AIDS in a dream.

My ancestors gave me the cure for AIDS in a dream.
Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 04:10 PM

How messed up is it that the president of their country is the one saying this?

CNN

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 04:11 PM

Mind blowing. And very, very sad.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 04:17 PM

Even worse most in africa think that if you have aids having unprotected sex with a virgin cures it.

marden
Baninated
Mar 16, 2007, 04:21 PM

Gambian President Yahya Jammeh

At the only hospital in the capital of this tiny West African nation, a 3-year-old AIDS patient named Suleiman receives his daily dose of medication -- a murky brown concoction of seven herbs and spices served out of a bottle that once contained pancake syrup.
Let's think of him NOT as a dangerous lunatic spreading false hope among the sick and dying with his medical quackery.

Let's call him, UNCLE Jemmeh-Yahya.

Black Americana F & F Die Co Aunt Jemima Syrup given as prizes for saving Aunt Jemima products proof of purchasein the 50s. This one was to hole Aunt Jemma Pancake Syrup. Plastic, painted in cold paints the paint often was washed off even in cold water. One can imagine the syrup was likely washed off with each meal. She is pretty good, she has an average to less amount washed off than most. She is missing paint on her collar, bow, dish, and apron as shown in the photos. No dings. Guaranteed original, there are repros, usually marked on the base, but frequently scratched off. Can still be used. 5 1/2" tall. Black Americana Black Memorabilia
Your Price: $ 90.00
http://www.tias.com/3073/PictPage/1922805605.html
( Last edited by marden; Mar 16, 2007 at 04:29 PM. )

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 10:31 PM

Well, as of right now we can't say that it doesn't work. Perhaps something in the herbs really could stop the progress of AIDS. Though I thought HIV didn't have any symptoms until it developed into AIDS. Anyway... I mean it sounds out landish but.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 10:35 PM

Is it any wonder that man took so long to become a modern being, at least in the west.

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 11:28 PM

Might as well tell them all to pray.

Saetre
Senior User
Mar 17, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Well, as of right now we can't say that it doesn't work. Perhaps something in the herbs really could stop the progress of AIDS. Though I thought HIV didn't have any symptoms until it developed into AIDS. Anyway... I mean it sounds out landish but.
But what? He said it came to him in a dream. In other words, it's BS.
Little children are savages. They are paleolithic creatures.
- E. O. Wilson

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Saetre View Post
But what? He said it came to him in a dream. In other words, it's BS.
Why does something that came from a dream make it BS? Dreams give people all kinds of insight and inspiration. It sounds crazy to a western philosophy which seems determined to crush anything that can't doesn't have a scientifically based origin. Yes it does sound a little odd, and unbeliveable, but just because it came to him in a dream doesn't invalidate it.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2007, 05:08 PM

He could also be saying that it came to him in a dream to give him more prestige and influence among the superstitious and uneducated people in his country when in actuality it was developed by some scientist in his employ or something.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Why does something that came from a dream make it BS? Dreams give people all kinds of insight and inspiration.
Not into advanced science well outside of people's area of expertise, they don't.

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
It sounds crazy to a western philosophy which seems determined to crush anything that can't doesn't have a scientifically based origin. Yes it does sound a little odd, and unbeliveable, but just because it came to him in a dream doesn't invalidate it.
If it came to me in a dream that you're going to assassinate the President and I need to kill you first, would I be reasonable to act on that or would I be a psychopath?

This guy had a dream and because of it, he's telling his people not to take life-saving medications. Same difference.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 07:44 PM

I would actually see nothing wrong with this herbal remedy as long as the patients were also encouraged to continue their anti-retroviral treatments. The placebo effect of this "remedy" seems to be amazing and having hope is half the battle with a terrible disease. However, to take this instead of the traditional scientifically accepted medicine is sure to end in disaster.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I would actually see nothing wrong with this herbal remedy as long as the patients were also encouraged to continue their anti-retroviral treatments.
Continue? I doubt they can afford them in the first place. Herbs is about as good as they're going to get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules