Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Speakers for a TiBook

External Speakers for a TiBook
maxed-out
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 04:42 PM

Don't suppose anyone can give any recommendations for external speakers for my new TiBook Superdrive?

I would like the Apple Pro Speakers but the connection seems to be different than the socket on my TiBook, can I get a socket converter?

Thanks in advance.

Ge4-ce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 04:56 PM

Depends on what you want.. Is it for on the road? Then I have NO idea.. Just ordinary speakers will do fine..

On the other hand.. If it is for a location.. I highly recommend the Harman/kardon Soundsticks (with subwoofer) !!!! their sound really blazes you away.. Very.. Very good speakerset..

Only keep in mind => they are USB and desire additional powersupply so they are not good for "on the road"

greetings

Ge4-ce
No wonder Eve was seduced by an
Apple....

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2002, 05:05 PM

I think you'd be happy with some Logitech Z-680's if you're into 5.1 audio. It comes with a decoder that turns a stereo source into 5.1 audio for DVD movies and the like. They're awesome speakers. Then again, Klipsch ProMedia's are amazing, too. They're just extremely pricey.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 05:25 PM

I have a pair of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s... yes, they're expensive, but they're also probably the best darn 2.1 speakers you can get for a computer. They'd work wonderfully as "bookshelf" speakers for anyone who wanted to get a minijack-to-RCA adapter... then again, Klipsch also has bookshelf speakers of their own.

If you wanted to maintain the whole minimalist look with your speakers, you could also get some Monsoon speakers. The PlanarMedia 14 series was just announced, and is supposed to have good specs for its $149 price; you can't find them on the Monsoon website yet, but they exist.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2002, 05:53 PM

Tannoy Reveal (Passive)
or
Tannoy Reveal (Active)

Sure as hell not portable but boy are they good. I own the Passive pair. You'll also need a good pair of sturdy wall brackets.

Probably not what you're after, but you never know.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2002, 01:07 AM

Been using these monsoon audio speakers for 2.5 years with my tower - they rock, great sound, look great. Just got a Tibook - they work perfect, plug into the headphone jack - though they are not portable...

Monsoon MM-1000

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

maxed-out  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 04:39 AM

mmmm....thanks everyone, as I'm not using them on the road, will look at all your suggestions and see

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2002, 10:43 AM

Another vote for Monsoon!

iMan
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 12:09 PM

Yet another vote for Monsoon!
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Cargen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 12:56 PM

I've used the Cambridge SoundWorks_Model Twelve Transportable Music System with my PowerBooks in my office for 4 years. Currently costs $350.00 <http://cambridgesoundworks.com>

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2002, 01:10 PM

I have the Harman Kardon SoundSticks. They came with my cube but work just as well with my Powerbook. I've not heard any 'computer speakers' that sound better, but they don't really match a proper amp & a good set of speakers.

-mrwalker

Robe
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I think you'd be happy with some Logitech Z-680's if you're into 5.1 audio. It comes with a decoder that turns a stereo source into 5.1 audio for DVD movies and the like. They're awesome speakers. Then again, Klipsch ProMedia's are amazing, too. They're just extremely pricey.
I am looking for good speakers as well; what is 5.1 Audio? I am looking for the best sound I can get. I have the Soundsticks and I like them - will the Z-680 with 5.1 Audio be an improvement?

Robe

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Robe:
I am looking for good speakers as well; what is 5.1 Audio? I am looking for the best sound I can get. I have the Soundsticks and I like them - will the Z-680 with 5.1 Audio be an improvement?

Robe
5.1 Audio is the name for a sound rendition system. The two norms that do 5.1 audio are Dolby Digital and DTS. 5.1 means that you have 6 distinct audio channels : two channels for front speakers (left and right), one for central front, two for rear speakers (left and right) and one for the subwoofer. All DVDs (except for really old films whose audio hasn't been remastered) come with 5.1 tracks.
However, if you're really in 5.1 audio, converting a stereo source in 5.1 is non-sense. It's like having multiple speakers all around you that output the same thing.
To get true 5.1 audio on your mac, you'll most likely need an external USB interface, like M-Audio's Sonica, that comes with an optical out to plug in an external amplifier. However, note that the DVD player bundled with OS X does not support 5.1 output, so you'll have to use VideoLan Client (the best video player on Earth, www.videolan.org) to watch your DVDs with 5.1 sound.
( Last edited by Axel; Nov 30, 2002 at 09:01 PM. )

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 01:14 PM

I use these.

http://www.eosone.com/rsf1000a.htm

wolfen

(tongue planted firmly in cheek...although I DO use them.)
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 12:23 AM

I ended getting the JBL Creatures...

I like them a lot, especially since it looks cool next to the silver powerbook

They are around 90 bucks online, I got them @ Tech Depot, and didn't have to pay shipping. (I think you still have to pay tax, depending on what state you live in.)

Goodluck.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
I ended getting the JBL Creatures...

I like them a lot, especially since it looks cool next to the silver powerbook

They are around 90 bucks online, I got them @ Tech Depot, and didn't have to pay shipping. (I think you still have to pay tax, depending on what state you live in.)

Goodluck.
Now that you have had time to play with your new JBL's, how do you like them? Would you buy them again if you had to do it all over again?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:22 AM

Yeah, I think I would.

I am pretty sure you could find better deals online right now as well.

I like the sound of them, some people think they sound too small, I don't think so. The sound is sharp and the bass is nice. The bass isn't really that great, but it will do for me. Watching movies and listening to MP3s is mainly what do I. (I really like the look especially next to my Powerbook.)

Especially since I haven't seen anything that is better in that price range (there might be, but I just haven't seen them.)

Ummm...I suggest you should go down to the Apple Store and check them out.

Goodluck.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yeah, I think I would.

I am pretty sure you could find better deals online right now as well.

I like the sound of them, some people think they sound too small, I don't think so. The sound is sharp and the bass is nice. The bass isn't really that great, but it will do for me. Watching movies and listening to MP3s is mainly what do I. (I really like the look especially next to my Powerbook.)

Especially since I haven't seen anything that is better in that price range (there might be, but I just haven't seen them.)

Ummm...I suggest you should go down to the Apple Store and check them out.

Goodluck.
Good idea. I will do that tomorrow.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 02:26 AM

Monsoon all the way. Awsome flat panel speakers, that will not take up lot of room, have pretty darn good quality, and will shake up your neighbors!
I have had mine for about two years, and they still sound great!

Awsome all around speakers!

t

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by t_hah:
Monsoon all the way. Awsome flat panel speakers, that will not take up lot of room, have pretty darn good quality, and will shake up your neighbors!
I have had mine for about two years, and they still sound great!

Awsome all around speakers!

t

Yeah, the new Planar Media 14's are great! Actually true competition for Klipsch, and most people think the Monsoon wins hands down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules