Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need advice, plus info on transferring settings and data

Need advice, plus info on transferring settings and data
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2005, 11:31 PM

Hi everyone, here's my question: I'm planning a move to Japan in a few months' time, and as a freelance graphic designer, I currently depend on my G4 iMac for my livelihood. If I could, I'd just pack the iMac in its box and take it along, but it's big, and it's heavy, and I'm scared of it getting lost or damaged en route. I could try selling it and buying a new Mac once I arrive, but I'd like to know how easy it is to save all my program settings and data. I figure my options are:

1. Ship my iMac anyway and hope for the best. Fedex from Canada to Japan will cost around $350. Has anyone here ever taken a Mac abroad before?

2. Buy a Mac Mini here in Canada, do the Firewire transfer thing, and keep the Mini in my carry-on baggage. Only trouble is, I want something with more video RAM and a faster HD than the Mini. So I probably won't do that.

3. Sell the iMac here, and buy a new iMac or PowerMac in Japan. Is it possible to transfer all my user and program settings to a Firewire drive, and then have the new machine copy them over with its automatic set-up routine?

Another thing I need to know: can you walk into an Apple store and get a PowerMac with extra RAM and an upgraded video card? There's a new Apple store in Nagoya I'd probably buy a new Mac from if I choose that route.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:

3. Sell the iMac here, and buy a new iMac or PowerMac in Japan. Is it possible to transfer all my user and program settings to a Firewire drive, and then have the new machine copy them over with its automatic set-up routine?

Another thing I need to know: can you walk into an Apple store and get a PowerMac with extra RAM and an upgraded video card? There's a new Apple store in Nagoya I'd probably buy a new Mac from if I choose that route.
You can clone your iMac's hard drive to an external drive and then use the migrate utility that seems to be included with most new macs to bring it over to a new machine. Or just use it as a bootable external for whatever you pickup in Japan.

Don't take the iMac ... just take what it knows

Forum Links
Forum Rules