Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6400 needs hard drive for MP3's

6400 needs hard drive for MP3's
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2001, 07:38 PM

well, the time has come to put my 6400 out to the pasture to make room for my iMac to take it's spot, and a new Duel 533 system (I have a nice all dusted ready for delivery) to take the iMac's spot. I'm now wondering what type of hard drive I should get to make my 6400 a perfect MP3 jukebox. I need something like 60gigs minimum... I think the 6400 has a IDE interface, but I'm not a hardware person...

Could someone help?
I need a price and a location to buy the new drive...

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 19, 2001, 12:55 PM

Just go to your nearest computer warehouse type store and buy a 60 or 80 gig IDE hard drive. The ones for PC's work fine in a 6400. I have had good luck with Maxtor's in particular. Try to get a 7200 rpm drive rather than a 5400.

When you install it, make sure your partition it. Make a small 1 or 2 gig or so partition for the system software and maybe a 500 meg partition for your Virtual memory file. The computer will run much better if it does not have to search a 60 gig drive for system software.

festoons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't recommend getting a 7200rpm for a 6400. It does have IDE by the way. The controller on the mobo of the 6400 is the older ATA/16 protocol so you can't get any faster than 16meg burst transfer speeds. 5400rpms would be just dandy. If you really need the space get the Maxtor 80GB. You should only need a 500meg partition for the startup volume. If you have 128 ram in it you should be fine and not need virtual memory.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2001, 09:32 PM

I've put an 20GB IDE drive in my 6400. I bought one for $100 from comp usa a year ago. I think its a 5400rpm. It's not difficult, but just so you know this means replacing your existing hard drive and not adding a second one. You'll have to figure out a way to get all of your data from one hard drive to the other. I did it by copying everything to my iMac over my network and then copying everything back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules