Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my 1ghz 15" al ... flawless so far :)

my 1ghz 15" al ... flawless so far :)
flukewurm
Oct 21, 2003, 04:56 PM

just wanted to give another INCREDIBLY positive review... on top of no white spots, no dead pixels (none that i can see so far), and a perfectly functional latch... this is my first mac and while i still have some learning to do (over 10 years on PC) my experience has been pretty lovely

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 06:43 PM

Thats great to hear... I have been planing on buying an 15 for a long time, however with all the news of these white spots it has made me a bit scared. Its great to hear that you are having a great experience...

(",)PB12
Oct 21, 2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by flukewurm:
just wanted to give another INCREDIBLY positive review... on top of no white spots, no dead pixels (none that i can see so far), and a perfectly functional latch... this is my first mac and while i still have some learning to do (over 10 years on PC) my experience has been pretty lovely
Lucky you....
I hope i'm just as satisfied as you when i get mine, if it does arrive at all

javabeans
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 08:59 PM

I've been using my first Mac (17PB) since April 2003 and its been awesome! I'm getting a 12" this Christmas...yippe!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

ltitle
Oct 21, 2003, 09:06 PM

To all 15" owners don't speak too soon.

Tomorrow I will finally get my 1 MHz 17" PB back from the shop to fix it's corrupted screen. (Unfortunately, the shop first thought the problem was the video card, so they replaced the logic board, only to discover the problem still existed. Then, a new display was ordered and after a total of 3 weeks I will be getting it back !) Certainly the problem was different than the white spots, as I had this intermittent problem that developed after a month or so and then became chronic and unfixable a month ago. The screen would be solarized, shimmering, and had this red ghosting effect (esp. noted with text on white background).

Meanwhile, my friends new 15" seemed fine for the first 2 weeks and this week wham ... whats that ... the dreaded white spots. Apple has told him the problem may be related to 4 styrofoam shims between the case and the actual LCD. So his is heading back to Apple.

So, if your display looks uncorrupted, shut up and enjoy it. It may not stay that way for long.
lawrence

(",)PB12
Oct 21, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by ltitle:
To all 15" owners don't speak too soon.

Tomorrow I will finally get my 1 MHz 17" PB back from the shop to fix it's corrupted screen. (Unfortunately, the shop first thought the problem was the video card, so they replaced the logic board, only to discover the problem still existed. Then, a new display was ordered and after a total of 3 weeks I will be getting it back !) Certainly the problem was different than the white spots, as I had this intermittent problem that developed after a month or so and then became chronic and unfixable a month ago. The screen would be solarized, shimmering, and had this red ghosting effect (esp. noted with text on white background).

Meanwhile, my friends new 15" seemed fine for the first 2 weeks and this week wham ... whats that ... the dreaded white spots. Apple has told him the problem may be related to 4 styrofoam shims between the case and the actual LCD. So his is heading back to Apple.

So, if your display looks uncorrupted, shut up and enjoy it. It may not stay that way for long.
Yeah that's true, alot of 15 inch owners are claiming that the white spots will surface after a week or so. Keep your fingers cross!

flukewurm  (op)
Nov 10, 2003, 04:16 PM

just another positive report... still no white spots and only one stuck (red) pixel. its not in the center of the screen so its really not that big of a deal. i hardly ever notice it. i thought id be more anal about stuck/dead pixels but im fine with it

i LOVE my PB

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2003, 05:55 PM

I thought I would report on my experiences too. It's been 14 days since I got my 15 inch AluBook and no problems whatsoever. This thing runs like a dream, at least compared to that 400 MHz Pismo I just unloaded. She served me well, but it was just time to move on.

No white spots, no stuck pixels, nothing but sheer, aluminum bliss.

Now if I could only get my hands on Photoshop CS.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 06:37 PM

I've had my 15" Al PB since September 19 and no white spots. At times my display is a little brighter on the left side when viewing a blank white document in text edit, or against a light grey background, but not a big deal.

Photoshop CS is a nice upgrade btw.

RGray02
Nov 11, 2003, 10:36 PM

well, I thought I'd chime in, yet again, on my flawless 1ghz 15inch albook. Ive had it working everyday since October 11th, and I have yet to find any problem, other then the right palmrest tends to squeak when I put my hand down on it.

Some people have been saying 5 weeks, others one week. Im just keeping my fingers crossed.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

dennis88
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by RGray02:
well, I thought I'd chime in, yet again, on my flawless 1ghz 15inch albook. Ive had it working everyday since October 11th, and I have yet to find any problem, other then the right palmrest tends to squeak when I put my hand down on it.

Some people have been saying 5 weeks, others one week. Im just keeping my fingers crossed.
I have had my 1,25ghz Albook for about 6 weeks, and still no white spots.

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 09:49 AM

Sorry guys, but I've been hearing/readin about this wht spots so long...

What do they look like? Can they come out in a digi shot?? would love to see what these spots are all about. Also worried - and still not a 15" owner yet.

H!
--
En Guarde!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 11:12 AM

All you have to do is run a search for them on this forum, you'll come up with quite a few entries. Let's not try and resurrect this whole discussion.

pptiger
Nov 13, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by (",)PB12:
Yeah that's true, alot of 15 inch owners are claiming that the white spots will surface after a week or so. Keep your fingers cross!
I had my albook 15 on Oct. 7. So far it is perfect. BTW, I gave my qualify talk with this machine, there was a big wow when I pulled out it. The feeling was good

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 06:18 PM

It's to good hear a few positive reports with this computer. I take mine to work everyday and everyone ooohs and aaaaahs at it. I love it so far and no problems to report.

Forum Links
Forum Rules