Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does Tiger break any major apps?...

Does Tiger break any major apps?... (Page 4)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by rhogue islander
Received my copy Friday. Cloned my main partition (10.3.9) to another disk and upgraded it to Tiger. So far all seems to be smooth sailing.

My machine is a Rev A Dual G5 with 9800 Pro Mac Edition with 1.5gb of ram.

Boot time is a little faster than before at 45 seconds. After your first boot I suggest you let it sit a bit and let spotlight finish its indexing thing before doing any benchmarking.

So far Virtual PC 7 seems to be working fine. I've uninstalled/reinstalled virtual machine additions, run windows update, installed firfox and browsed, even benchmarked with SiSoft Sandra, all without a single crash.

Benchmarking with with Quake 3 reveals only a nominal (~3-4 fps) drop in framerate which I attribute to system overhead from dashboard and spotlight.

Anyone know how to disable these two processes?
Dashboard looks to use 0% CPU in the background.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 08:51 PM

Coooool, thank you, Luke.

...or should I say, Cool Hand Luke

heh, he he heh.
( Last edited by rhogue islander; Apr 24, 2005 at 09:00 PM. )

macrjoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Norm Nager
Thanks very much for sharing that, Charles. I was concerned that DW 3.0.2 might be getting long in the tooth: one year ago today (Apr. 23) was the last update of DW. It's good to hear that it will work when launched from a CD.

When launched from the CD, how does it handle rebuilding a Tiger directory? As smoothly as with Panther?

For those of us who prefer to launch utilities such as DW when booted from a 2nd hard drive rather than undergo the slowness of CD booting, does DW play nice when Tiger is on both drives?

Respectfully, Norm

When I try to run Disk Warrior from a Panther hard drive to rebuild the Tiger Drive Directory - I get an error message telling me to contact Alsoft Technical Support.

Per Alsoft Tech Support -

"We cannot comment on Tiger because we are under a Non-Disclsure Agreement with Apple until its release date."

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2005, 12:49 AM

can anyone who has an advance copy confirm or deny that COD multiplayer is not working?
Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:30 AM

Rumpus (FTP server) is busted. Well, at least it can't be installed. It gives an authentication error.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 03:35 AM

The Minolta Dimage Scan software for my Dimage Elite 5400 scanner has gone nuts as well and using VueScan with my scanner takes aaaaages to scan something, it warms up the lamp before each single scan and takes very long to scan.

This is quite the disaster for me

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
The Minolta Dimage Scan software for my Dimage Elite 5400 scanner has gone nuts as well and using VueScan with my scanner takes aaaaages to scan something, it warms up the lamp before each single scan and takes very long to scan.

What about plug-ins for Photoshop? Can't you scan within it? I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III that works best witin Photoshop with plug-in.

I'm talking about Panther though, as I haven't received Tiger yet, but since I'm reading Photoshop isn't broken, I suppose that would work, although I do not know if all plugins are working.
( Last edited by Appleman; Apr 25, 2005 at 03:47 AM. )

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman
What about plug-ins for Photoshop? Can't you scan within it? I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III that works best witin Photoshop with plug-in.

I'm talking about Panther though, as I haven't received Tiger yet, but since I'm reading Photoshop isn't broken, I suppose that would work, although I do not know if all plugins are working.
When you open up the plug-in or one of the applications it just says that there already is another Dimage application open, rebooting, loggin in and out doesn't work. There just aren't any other Dimage apps open. I tried it with peripherals attached without any other peripherals attached etc. I use Firewire to connect to the scanner. I could try using it with USB but I seriously doubt that it would be usable since my computer has only USB 1.1 and the scanner uses USB2 so that would be dead slow as well.

VueScan works but it just takes aaaaages to scan to the point where it's unusable. Waiting 2minutes for the "lamp to warm up" before every scan is a serious waste of time. It never warmed up in Panther, only after just turning on the scanner but not before every frickin' scan.

Really horrible for me since I really need that scanner.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:04 AM

When you open up the plug-in or one of the applications it just says that there already is another Dimage application open
Is there another app open, can you see it open, does it open automatically when you start your Mac, does it open automatically when you connect your scanner? What if you first close that app, which is supposed to be open?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman
Is there another app open, can you see it open, does it open automatically when you start your Mac, does it open automatically when you connect your scanner? What if you first close that app, which is supposed to be open?
Nope, I don't have anything in my login items and I can't find anything between all the processes (by looking at "top" or Activity monitor) that looks like something that has to do with the scanner. I can't close anything since there isn't anything open that's the weird part. The Dimage software just tells me that there is a second instance of the Dimage software open/using the scanner. But this is simply not true.

I already reinstalled the software. Same problem. Tonight when I'm home I'm going to try to deinstall it manually and reinstall it again and try to connect through USB.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:18 AM

Nope, I don't have anything in my login items and I can't find anything between all the processes (by looking at "top" or Activity monitor) that looks like something that has to do with the scanner. I can't close anything since there isn't anything open that's the weird part. The Dimage software just tells me that there is a second instance of the Dimage software open/using the scanner. But this is simply not true.
In that case it looks like Minolta has never heard of Tiger and it is time to give them a hint

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 04:49 AM

Hi folks,

Just a quick one; does anyone know if Gerben Weider's (sp?) TeX distribution still works under Tiger? Also, do TeXShop and BibDesk have any issues?

Many thanks,

biscuit

badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 05:09 AM

Broken Applications:

BurnOutMenu 2
TransparentDock
cue-splitter
candybar
( Last edited by badtz; Apr 25, 2005 at 05:36 AM. )

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 07:07 AM

Office is fooked for me

Anyone heard anything about it and any possible solutions?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2005, 07:23 AM

Office 2004 is fine for me - what version/update are you running?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by wulf
Office 2004 is fine for me - what version/update are you running?
I'm running Office 2004 but I don't remember if I've updated it.

And trying to open the Office folder crashes the Finder

Is there a way to find out the version using the Terminal?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by rhogue islander
Received my copy Friday.
Which store? Just wondering if you're another PCMaller. The Apple Store ones aren't supposed to arrive until this week, starting today apparently, until the 29th (obviously) or later.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 09:15 AM

So far the only apps for me that seem to be not working are Popcorn and Chicken of the VNC. When you drag a _TS file to it the app just crashes. I guess we'll have to wait til they come out with an update to it. Toast seems to work fine though. Go figure
( Last edited by typoon; Apr 25, 2005 at 09:33 AM. )
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mrcorwin
Apr 25, 2005, 09:41 AM

Bryce 5 has an annoying error! The open, close and save dialogs are hidden under the main window and cannot be seen or totally controlled. You can tab to another application and see the dialog box but then you can't interact with it! Hopefully DAZ will come out with a fix soon.

wackomaco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 12:27 PM

Has anyone tried Now Contact under Tiger? Now Software says it is not compatible, but I was wondering if it would run at all.
http://www.nowsoftware.com/104compat.htm

Has anyone tried Page Sender under Tiger?

Thanks

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 02:51 PM

Just in case anyone else was interested, apparently TeX and TeXShop appear to run OK under Tiger. There's apparently a new version of BibDesk on the way too.

biscuit

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:59 PM

Anyone else have a problem with USB Overdrive? I seem to have a problem opening iTunes with it installed

plamparello
Apr 25, 2005, 05:28 PM

Does Quicken for Mac 2005 work?
plamparello

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
Anyone else have a problem with USB Overdrive? I seem to have a problem opening iTunes with it installed
Yes, problems with USB Overdrive. Installed Tiger and my Logitech MX700 worked till the login screen. Desktop had problems with iChat and SystemUIServer so I did an archive and install. That fixed my iChat and System UI problem and the MX 700 worked but only the basic OS functionality (which, by the way, has been expanded greatly). I installed the most current USB Overdrive (10.3.8), restart and make it to the desktop before the cursor stops working. Now I've uninstalled USB Overdrive and the mouse has been working for a good hour with no problems and the OS sees all the buttons. Sounds great, but I would really like to be able to use all the buttons and assign keystrokes to them so that the can be seen in games.

As always, any information would be greatly appreciated.

so1omon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 07:09 PM

Any idea if ProTools LE 6.4 works under Tiger? If not, I guess I won't be upgrading for a while.

jettyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 07:21 PM

How about CarbonCopyCloner? Use it a lot for backups. Anyone tried it?
`A`ohe pau ka `ike i ka h�lau ho`ok�hi.
All knowledge is not taught in one school.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 07:24 PM

roxio popcorn crashes.

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 07:32 PM

You mean at all or well? Dunno. I use VPC with MS Money.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by atFault
Sounds great, but I would really like to be able to use all the buttons and assign keystrokes to them so that the can be seen in games.

I am using the Logitech software: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14421

And has been working beautifully with my MX700. Mouse seems much smoother under tiger than panther with LCC now :-)

Only thing I needed it for was the 'back' and 'forward' buttons, I have them assigned to apple-[ and apple-] for Safari

Tiger already recognized the scroll buttons, so that was sweet :-)

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 08:36 PM

I am using the Logitech software: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14421

And has been working beautifully with my MX700. Mouse seems much smoother under tiger than panther with LCC now :-)

Only thing I needed it for was the 'back' and 'forward' buttons, I have them assigned to apple-[ and apple-] for Safari

Tiger already recognized the scroll buttons, so that was sweet :-)
Tiger does a much better job at recognizing more mouse buttons. My issue is one that the Logitech software does not address: Assigning unique keystrokes for mouse buttons to individual apps. Many games do not recognize MouseButton8 or similar inputs so USB overdrive is the only way to get MouseButton8 to seem like a 'P' so that pushing it will 'pause' the game. Strange thing is one game will see all the mouse buttons while another won't. The only thing I can figure is that this is a game issue and not an OS issue.

Either way USB Overdrive makes my MX700 stop working when System Profiler still says it is there and USB overdrive still sees the Logitech USB Receiver. Unfortunately the problem is not predictable. I thought I had solved it by deleting all the USBOverdrive Preferences and then reinstalling it, but just as I was coming here to post my success the cursor froze on the screen once again. Back to the MS intellimouse Explorer again.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 08:37 PM

I know someone earlier in the thread said MS Office should work, but has anyone successfully used MS Office v. X on Tiger? Just wondering because I would really rather not fork any more money over to MS if I don't have to. (And I need it for final projects coming up!) Thanks.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by atFault
Either way USB Overdrive makes my MX700 stop working when System Profiler still says it is there and USB overdrive still sees the Logitech USB Receiver. Unfortunately the problem is not predictable. I thought I had solved it by deleting all the USBOverdrive Preferences and then reinstalling it, but just as I was coming here to post my success the cursor froze on the screen once again. Back to the MS intellimouse Explorer again.

USB OD was working with my mouse just fine, it would just crash iTunes and not allow me to print to my HL-1440

For me, Logitech CC is a fine solution to this problem until USB OD is updated, I already paid for it so I would like it to be fixed

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 08:51 PM

Sorry, dual post.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sweatervest
I know someone earlier in the thread said MS Office should work, but has anyone successfully used MS Office v. X on Tiger? Just wondering because I would really rather not fork any more money over to MS if I don't have to. (And I need it for final projects coming up!) Thanks.
I use Excel daily and Word every once in a while and have had no problems.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by plamparello
Yes, the NUE version that came with PB works as well as they designed it :-)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jettyboy
How about CarbonCopyCloner? Use it a lot for backups. Anyone tried it?
It hasn't for me, which is a real bummer. It locks up when I enter the administrative password to clone a volume.

Oedipax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by sweatervest
Office v.X works insofar as I can open, read, change, and save documents, but it won't print on my system. I've verified that the printer works in other apps (Pages, for instance), so I don't think that's the problem. I've checked the printer config in Office and it seems to be correct. One thing I noticed is even the preview function doesn't work right - on a large spreadsheet that spans 30 or 40 pages, using the preview feature under print generates a blank 8-page preview. Then when I print, it sends it to the printer queue, which processes it and declares it complete without ever printing anything.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 10:46 PM

USB OD was working with my mouse just fine, it would just crash iTunes and not allow me to print to my HL-1440

For me, Logitech CC is a fine solution to this problem until USB OD is updated, I already paid for it so I would like it to be fixed

Ugh! No USB OD. No HL-1440. No Citrix VPN. No iTunes.

So, my wife won't be able to use the mouse, but it won't matter because she won't be able to access her job's network or print anything. Oh...and while she is phoning me to complain, she won't be able to listen to her music.

Hmmmm.....Sounds like I won't be updating anytime soon....
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brazuca
Ugh! No USB OD. No HL-1440. No Citrix VPN. No iTunes.

If it helps... once I disables USB Overdrive, Everything is working perfectly! the included brother print drivers even had one for the 1440 and it works the same as the 'official one' so there was nothing to install and after the reboot the printer was installed & ready to go!

I have ZERO complaints with Tiger so-far. Only thing I would like is a working USB OD and Working Popcorn.

I even used ARD from work (from a 10.3 machine) and it worked beautifully and seemed more responsive too.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oedipax
Office v.X works insofar as I can open, read, change, and save documents, but it won't print on my system. I've verified that the printer works in other apps (Pages, for instance), so I don't think that's the problem. I've checked the printer config in Office and it seems to be correct. One thing I noticed is even the preview function doesn't work right - on a large spreadsheet that spans 30 or 40 pages, using the preview feature under print generates a blank 8-page preview. Then when I print, it sends it to the printer queue, which processes it and declares it complete without ever printing anything.
Oh boy, that sucks.

badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
So far the only apps for me that seem to be not working are Popcorn and Chicken of the VNC.

Chicken of the VNC works for me .....

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 03:42 AM

So, CCC does not work,well there goes my backups. I have a stupid newb question but what about anacron, onyx, and programs that are made specifically for jaguar, and panther etc? Will they need a new tiger version, I am just not sure what to install after I install tiger.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ero2
So, CCC does not work,well there goes my backups.
Not necessarily. Check out Apple Software Restore (go to /Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility.app -> select one of your partitions -> Restore). It works fine for backups and does most of what CCC does. I think CCC is no longer being actively developed since ASR was introduced as part of DU with Panther.

And if you like ASR, but would like to script it or automate it, try out its CLI version 'asr'. 'man asr' gives you a lot of information.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 04:08 AM

So, CCC does not work,well there goes my backups. I have a stupid newb question but what about anacron, onyx, and programs that are made specifically for jaguar, and panther etc? Will they need a new tiger version, I am just not sure what to install after I install tiger.
Mike Bombich, creator of CarbonCopyCloner, has said that all his apps are broken under 10.4 (because of an Apple authentication bug, I think). He will be releasing Tiger compatible updates in the near future.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brazuca
Can anyone confirm this? It's a show-stopper for me (I use it for work).
Check out the other thread about this. Word is apple and cisco are working on it.

Michael

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 04:54 AM

So, CCC does not work,well there goes my backups.
There is a workaround for CCC, if you really need it.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 01:46 PM

An update to this: after installing the software for the third time it seems to work.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2005, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by wulf
Don't think anyone's mentioned StickyBrain, which is bust. Just gets stuck trying to open the database.
StickyBrain 3.4.1 is now out and should be Tiger-compatible.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by cc_foo
My list:

1. Bittorrent
2. Bittorrent
3. VLC
Power User!

ambush
Banned
Apr 27, 2005, 06:46 AM

Mail.app shows 0 messages in Inbox after upgrading. WHAT?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules