Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Let's point and laugh at this retard

Let's point and laugh at this retard
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 01:18 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 01:24 AM

I dreamed of going fearlessly to all the sheet music and game sites that are rife with Trojans, spyware and other dangerous bugs.
There are SHEET MUSIC sites that have viruses and trojans? Good lord.

It's a pretty ignorant and baby-ish rant, and I feel dumber having read it, despite being able to offer a helpful explanation or correction to every point of his. If he's so smart, you'd think he could do even the simplest of research to accomplish some of his simplest of tasks. What a maroon.
( Last edited by MindFad; Oct 16, 2006 at 01:30 AM. )

nikon123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 01:26 AM

if that article was turned into a short clip it would go something like this

http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 01:26 AM

Outlook for Mac? Did we just pass through a time warp?

A lot of former Windows users (I was one and know many) don't realize that though the Mac is 'easy to use' you do still have to put some effort into learning to use it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2006, 01:38 AM

Normally, I kind of scoff at these threads.

But wow, that guy is an idiot. There's like a 16:1 ratio of false statements to true statements in that article.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 01:43 AM

OK, going into anger mode:

This guy is a dummy. Plain and simple. He might think he's smart, but he's obviously very very inept.

Either that or he is simply lying:

"I bought a boat anchor that can't view Web sites properly, is not compatible with Microsoft Word and can run only dumbed-down versions of regular software."

Inaccurate. Wrong. Lie.

"I pretended that I liked the one button mouse. I quickly started using click + command keys (and other keyboard shortcuts). I really missed the little scrolling wheel in the center of the mouse."

The guy can't buy a fricking mouse? Any USB-mouse will do. Even a $9 cheapo. My choice is the Logitech MX1000 wireless laser-mouse. I also love the Microsoft *gasp* IntelliMouse explorer. Multi-button mice are not a recent (as in the latest half a decade since OS X came out) development either. I was running a 5-button mouse back in 1994!

"I did like the Finder because it was quick in locating files, but it would turn up a lot of false hits. It was comparable to the Google Desktop searcher on my PC."

Finder? He must mean Spotlight. It doesn't return any false hits, but he might need to learn to narrow his search criterias a bit.

"What drove me nuts was that I would open Word for Mac and couldn't delete files while I was in Word"

No. No. No. Deleting files from open / save dialogs are a recipe for disaster. Use the finder. If you organise your sidebar with your work folders, removing files is just two clicks away.

"Word files transferred from the Mac were missing pictures. PowerPoint files transferred from the Mac would lose their formatting. PCs and Macs are not compatible, regardless of what they say."

And this is who's fault? Last time I checked, Microsoft were making Office, not Apple. If you don't have the fonts you created the PowerPoint in you will lose formatting, regardless if you open it on a Mac or a PC.
"I didn't even bother with the Mac's iCal or Mail, which required me to buy an @mac.com address."

Blatantly false. Enough said.

I use three email accounts with Apple Mail (.Mac, Gmail and my own IMAP account), and it is the best email client I have ever used bar none. And I have used them all having been on the internet since 1995.

"For me the killer was the Web browser. Safari simply cannot read Flash. It is, quite simply, a second-rate browser."

What the hell? Another lie? Flash works fine in Safari and in any other browser for Mac, which there are at least a dozen of.

"I even called Apple headquarters and asked when a better version would be available and was told that Apple is in no hurry to improve it."

Right. Of course they said that. Calling Apple will get you no amount of their future plans whatsoever. However, going to their website you DO get a preview of what's in store for Leopard, including a slew of Safari updates.

What's more you can even download the latest update of WebKit (Safari), updated nightly. With any recent improvements! Gosh!

"On the suggestions of friends, I downloaded Netscape and Firefox, which were no better."

Can't fault him there. Safari is the better browser.

"I scraped along with Internet Explorer 5.0 for Mac, and then discovered in 2006 that Microsoft would no longer support the Mac version. You can't do WSYWIG on Typepad (where many folks create their blogs), which you can on a PC."

You can't do anything with IE5 for Mac. It's a dead browser that was last updated in 2002!

"I run several Web sites, all optimized for IE 5.5 or higher. I couldn't operate my own Web sites with the Mac. That was the straw that broke the camel's back."

Well that's your problem right there. You are a piss poor web developer who can't write a standards based website. You can't "optimize for IE 5.5 and higher" and expect it to work everywhere. You should code for ALL browsers, not some non-standard POS. You suck at web developing, and blame the faults of yourself and "designers" like you who can't code a website if it came with a free template and an HTML for dummies book.

"I let the repaired shiny Mac sit on the floor for weeks, and instead used my reliable IBM ThinkPad, and rediscovered how much I enjoy it. Wish me luck on selling the Mac."

You need more than luck. You are simply NOT smart, you have done no research, and apparently no attempt to improve your general lack of computer skills or even the slightest attempt at adapting to a new environment. That this article was allowed to go to print is beyond me. I would not hire you as a lawyer if my life depended on it. I am simply stunned.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 01:57 AM

That article was extremely biased. He had nothing positive to say about his experience owning a Mac. Clearly, there must have been a lot of things he really liked about the computer and OS from the start, for him to shell out close to $5,000.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2006, 02:01 AM

Nah. He sounds like a lazy rich guy with a lot of cash to burn.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Nah. He sounds like a lazy rich guy with a lot of cash to burn.
Bingo. We had a family friend like this when I was in college. He was interested in getting a Mac and had my father show him how they work before he bought one. Then he buys one with an Apple employee discount from a friend of his, a month later decides he doesn't like it, and wants our help selling it on eBay. He gave me his used pro speakers as a graduation gift

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 02:47 AM

I think he's full of it. Either that he's so wilfully ignorant that it doesn't matter. He's already aware of the reaction to his article (his blog:Larry Bodine's LawMarketing Blog: MAC Aficionados In Flames About Critical Article) .

Instead of conceding a point or two he just goes off on Mac and its users

"These Mac zealots are unusually defensive. They are just realizing that they have bought orphan technology. Macs are the Betamax of the 21st Century. And it's not just me who find Macs less appealing. Apple holds only 4.8 percent of the U.S. market share, according to the July 2006 issue of MacWorld magazine. In other words, 95 out of 100 computer buyers don't buy an Apple computer. There must be a reason, yes?"

Ugh.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 02:54 AM

He has the face that asks for a punch.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 05:23 AM

Wow, that's the most ignorant and ill-informed anti-Apple rant I've heard in a long time.

He's wrong on just about every point he's trying to make, except about Flash, which is, admittedly so, quite a dawg on the Mac.

But even here he erroneously faults Safari, when in fact it's Macrodobe's fault for favoring the PC platform in terms of Flash development and support.

"…I really missed the little scrolling wheel in the center of the mouse."

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 16, 2006, 06:56 AM

Yeah ... I am officially dumber for having read that article.

Thanks.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 16, 2006, 07:37 AM

Yes, that was a seriously amusing but sad "article".

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
He's wrong on just about every point he's trying to make, except about Flash, which is, admittedly so, quite a dawg on the Mac.
Indeed.

But even here he erroneously faults Safari, when in fact it's Macrodobe's fault for favoring the PC platform in terms of Flash development and support.
Well, all my problems with Flash are with Safari. Works fine with Camino.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 08:16 AM

If there's one thing about OS Xs 'ease of use', I think it's seriously curtailed when one gets accustomed to Windows 'ease of use.'

People need to realize this when they make the switch.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Well, all my problems with Flash are with Safari. Works fine with Camino.
It's the same Plug-In for all browsers. Flash sites run a lot smoother and faster in IE and Firefox for the PC compared to all mac browsers.

I jut did a test a few weeks ago with a Flash developer.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 09:03 AM

So, a PC guy hates Macs because he doesn't know how to use them properly?

Sounds about right to me.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

People over thirty shouldn't be allowed near new technology. I know this because I'm over thirty. My toaster confuses me these days.

By Larry Bodine
Law Technology News
Give it up, Larry.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
It's the same Plug-In for all browsers. Flash sites run a lot smoother and faster in IE and Firefox for the PC compared to all mac browsers.

I jut did a test a few weeks ago with a Flash developer.
Perhaps Flash for PC Firefox is better than Flash for Mac Firefox, but nonetheless the significant problems I have with Flash video playback only occur with Safari.

Just because it's the same plug-in with all Mac browsers, doesn't mean it will have the same behaviour.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 16, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache

People over thirty shouldn't be allowed near new technology. I know this because I'm over thirty. My toaster confuses me these days.
*smacks with cane* here it's time to drink your metamucil.

Computers are easy compared to digital rack effects processors.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 09:23 AM

From Idiot-Mac-User-Article

I was encouraged to make the switch by artists, ad agency employees and junior high school kids, even though I don't really create graphics, listen to iTunes or make movies.
He's quite the independent thinker, isn't he?

The scary thing is that he is a lawyer...who represents other people in LEGAL CASES.

Unbelievable!

But you know what?

FUNNY!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 09:28 AM

I just read it again and I have to say thanks - - e r i k - - for this thread because I've had a really great laugh over it.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 09:35 AM

What I truly don't understand is why he simply didn't call Apple for support for both the computer and the operating system? They would have helped him - for free - with both as much as he needed or wanted. Can't get help like that without a) Waiting for hours or b) Paying for it with a Windows system.

Which leads me to the next question which is do you think he's for real? Or do you think he's a troll of some type? Just strange. Poor bastard.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 16, 2006, 09:46 AM

I think he wanted hits to his page.

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I think he wanted hits to his page.
Bingo. No one can be that dumb.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2006, 10:16 AM

Yep. Mission accomplished. It attracted lots of hits.

But OTOH, lots of people are indeed that dumb.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Give it up, Larry.
Well, I know very many people over 30 who are techno- enept. But I also know a good amount (most over 60) who taught me everything I know about macs and pcs, and why macs were better. And, did I mention, fund my mac needs for years to this day.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 11:03 AM

You picked PowerPC = Pwnage for your nick during the intel era? Interesting.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 11:35 AM

"You can't do WSYWIG on Typepad"

Wtf is WSYWIG - I've never heard of it before...

What an idiot!
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 11:43 AM

Anyone email this 'tard' and offer to buy his "useless" Mac yet ?
half price sounds good to me.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by vexborg
"You can't do WSYWIG on Typepad"

Wtf is WSYWIG - I've never heard of it before...

What an idiot!
I think he's talking about 'WYSIWYG'- What You See Is What You Get.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I think he's talking about 'WYSIWYG'- What You See Is What You Get.
I think vexborg knew that

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
I think vexborg knew that
I sure hope so.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
"Apple holds only 4.8 percent of the U.S. market share, according to the July 2006 issue of MacWorld magazine. In other words, 95 out of 100 computer buyers don't buy an Apple computer. There must be a reason, yes?"
God I hate this argument.

999,999 out of 1,000,000 new car buyers buy a domestic car instead of a Ferrari, there must be a reason too then eh?

Dumb

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2006, 05:53 PM

"Doing a simple screen capture was an immense chore. On a PC you just press Alt and tap PrtScr. With the Mac I had to download and launch special programs to accomplish this simple task."

uhh...
no comment

"I run several Web sites, all optimized for IE 5.5 or higher"

at this point my thoughts of this guy as an idiot were realized

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Just because it's the same plug-in with all Mac browsers, doesn't mean it will have the same behaviour.
Which Flash sites run differently for you in Firefox or Camino than in Safari?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
God I hate this argument.

999,999 out of 1,000,000 new car buyers buy a domestic car instead of a Ferrari, there must be a reason too then eh?

Dumb
Domestic? Does my Toyota count?

The reason I don't buy a Ferrari is because they cost way too frickin' much, and they suck as general usage cars anyway.

I hope you're not trying to equate Macs with Ferraris.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I sure hope so.
Yep, this dude knew that - but Larry obviously didn't...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Domestic? Does my Toyota count?

The reason I don't buy a Ferrari is because they cost way too frickin' much, and they suck as general usage cars anyway.

I hope you're not trying to equate Macs with Ferraris.
Dude, I know. it's as bad of a conclusion as "more people use windowz so it's better"

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2006, 10:03 AM

Can we please not paint this loser with the same brush used for the mentally disabled? Larry is a LOSER of the worst kind-the type that thinks he's much smarter than he demonstrably really is. Mentally disabled people can't help their affliction, while Larry IS an affliction.

In seriousness, I doubt Larry could do much with his PC either. I know people who think they are "computer literate" because they can identify a mouse 4 out of 5 times (if it's the same mouse), and they're the group that needs their hard drives reformatted regularly because they consistently fail to protect themselves from their own surfing habits and attract viruses and trojans like old garbage attracts flys. Larry is one of those people.

And Larry, being rich is no excuse for being stupid. I'll give you $100 for that Power Mac right now! Limited time offer!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2006, 10:03 AM

Can we please not paint this loser with the same brush used for the mentally disabled? Larry is a LOSER of the worst kind-the type that thinks he's much smarter than he demonstrably really is. Mentally disabled people can't help their affliction, while Larry IS an affliction.

In seriousness, I doubt Larry could do much with his PC either. I know people who think they are "computer literate" because they can identify a mouse 4 out of 5 times (if it's the same mouse), and they're the group that needs their hard drives reformatted regularly because they consistently fail to protect themselves from their own surfing habits and attract viruses and trojans like old garbage attracts flys. Larry is one of those people.

And Larry, being rich is no excuse for being stupid. I'll give you $100 for that Power Mac right now! Limited time offer!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Oct 17, 2006, 10:33 AM

Agreed with ghporter. You guys are insulting the mentally disabled by comparing them to this guy.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 10:45 AM

"I bought a boat anchor that can't view Web sites properly, is not compatible with Microsoft Word and can run only dumbed-down versions of regular software."

So he bought a PC? Because it's IE that can't display websites properly. It's IE that requires the Box Model Hack, the Holly Hack, and has entire websites dedicated to dealing with it's "inconsistencies."
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 11:21 AM

This guy clearly has a huge ego. He thinks that just because he has an overpriced law degree that he becomes an expert in computer science? Enough to write an article on "legal technology"?

I can't believe this guy thinks he's qualified to give other people technology advice. Law.com needs to be a lot more picky about their writers or they'll begin to lose credibility.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 11:45 AM

What a silly rant.. that 'lawyer' is one of the most computer illiterate persons I've heard of.

Not the least because of him complaining about the 'one button mouse' because his PowerMac came with a mighty-mouse (a two button, scrollwheel mouse) and he never realized it.

I'll be lucky to get half of the $4,552.71 I paid for the Mac on May 21, 2006.
V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2006, 01:10 PM

Is this a parody? No way in hell someone is that stupid.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 01:37 PM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Turias View Post
He gives a good summary:

- Apple's marketing department and fans lured me in with promises of Macs being virus-free and having great service, both of which turned out to be true.
- FireWire is sexy.
- Sometimes I see the spinny cursor on my Mac.
- Microsoft Word doesn't please me on the Mac because the key shortcuts aren't short enough, and because I can't find the compatibility button on the save panel. Also, PowerPoint.
- Microsoft Outlook doesn't please me on the Mac, and I never tried the free alternatives that were bundled with the system.
- AOL(!) doesn't please me on the Mac.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 from 1997 does not please me on the Mac, and I mistakenly believe Safari doesn't support Flash, nor will I use any of the many free alternatives that would work fine.
- One time, my hard drive broke and was replaced for free.

In summary: you are fundamentally only interested in using Microsoft products, and you find that your experience on a Mac using nothing written by Apple and everything by Microsoft is sub-par. Wow! I am SHOCKED! This is as amazing as when I heard that people who love open-source software sometimes prefer Linux to Mac OS X!
I let the repaired shiny Mac sit on the floor for weeks, and instead used my reliable IBM ThinkPad, and rediscovered how much I enjoy it. Wish me luck on selling the Mac.

Good luck! And good riddance! I'd buy it myself but I'm afraid you might have smeared some stupid on it!
V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 02:26 PM

Heh, not bad. I think Wil misunderstood the printing complaint tho. Larry was talking about the Print dialog, not anything in Word, but he was still wrong because he could save his settings as a preset and access them in one click from the preset dropdown.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 03:45 PM

I tried to give the benefit of the doubt to this guy. His problem was that he bought a Mac expecting it to be Windows without all the Windows problems.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules