Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Weird Connection Problems

Weird Connection Problems
dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2000, 04:23 PM

I'm experiencing an odd problem with my G4/400 when it comes to connecting to the internet. I use the built in modem to dial my ISP and it connects fine. However, after a few seconds of incativity, I'm no longer to access any remote servers. The connection is still alive, but Netscape, IE, and Emailer both return error messages. Neither program really attempts to access a server. IE, for example, immediately displays an error message about how the server could not be found.
Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't help a bit. I'm still not able to access anything. My ISP wasn't very helpful. I tried trashing TCP/IP prefs, TCPDNR, zapped the pram, and tried reinstalling OT from the OS9 CD. The fact that I suddenly can't access any servers while the connection is still live leads me to believe it's a problem with software. I'm running the latest versions of almost everything (Remote Access/PPP, OT, etc). I have not installed the OT Tuner.
Any help appreciated!!

On a side note, my mac also freezes when I shut it down and the PPP connection is still up. It tried to close the connection, but just locks up. Ideas?

Doerter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2000, 10:52 AM

I don't have a solution for you but I just wanted to say that I have 2 iMacs (rev A and a DV se) and neither one of them like to be shut down with an open PPP connection. You are about guaranteed a lockup. My 7500 (G3 card) and 5400 do not have that problem.

TAGOS
Jan 11, 2000, 01:34 PM

I'm having the same problem. After inactivity on the remote access my browser and email come up with errors stating could not make connection with the server. Network errors. I have re-installed remote access, deleted preferences with no joy. If I restart my computer then my browser and email work fine. If I quit both and disconnect from the ISP and go back on line I have the problem with the browser and email not finding the server. I thought it might be the MS explorer and outlook but it also happens with netscape 4.7. My machine is a 8500/300mhz Newer card using a 56K US Robotics modem.

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2000, 03:10 PM

I also have these same symptoms. OS 9 / 56K modem / Netscape 4.6 / Eudora Pro 4.2 / 603e-250. I began to notice the problems after I upgraded to the newest version of Open Transport. Also, the apps cant connect after sleep. Always requires a restart after losing the connection and freezes on shutdown with open connection - grrrr. Going to try downgrading open transport. Anyone out there know OT well enough to suggest a cause?

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2000, 03:25 PM

I checked around on Apple's tech forum page and we aren't alone. Suggestions included trashing the remote access folder and prefs, installing the newest OT (2.6?) and trashing the audio update files.
It's too bad this many people are having this problem, but I'm glad I'm not alone!

------------------

birdman
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2000, 08:45 PM

Yes, I have the same problem with the iMac DV crashing when Remote Access is connected. Actually, if any application is running and I try to shut down, it freezes (and since Remote Access is an app, it freezes when it tries to disconnect before shutting down). The same problem happens when I try to put it to sleep and any apps are running -- even though you're supposed to be able to leave apps running while it's asleep.

phillyjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2000, 09:41 AM

I HAD the same problem. Coincidentally, it started happening only after 1/1/00. After a period, Netscape would be unable to create a network socket, and Claris Emailer was unable to contact the server.Y2K glitch? Who knows? A restart was the only way to fix. However, after installing the Open Transport update 2.6 recently made available from Apple, the problem has disappeared.

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2000, 12:35 PM

I was able to correct this by turning off some unused extensions (in my case Iomega and Ethernet). Perhaps a clean install of OT 2.6 (as per previous author) will help those of you who need these extensions.

good luck

TAGOS
Jan 13, 2000, 03:34 AM

Conducted clean install of MACOS 9.0 with merger with Conflict Catcher 8 without OT or Remote access from previous system files. Installed OT 2.6 and everything is working fine again. Thank you for the tips. Glad to see a Sumo fan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules