Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Trying to get a "switcher" for Digital video.. recommendations?

Trying to get a "switcher" for Digital video.. recommendations?
BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2002, 09:47 AM

I have a "user" lets call him "Dad" who was a long time Mac user till about ten years ago. He fell to the dark side with cheap prices and build your own boxes. He is a certified Novell and Microsft software guy (but does not work in the field). He wants to get into Digital Video and was very impressed with a TiG4 that could encode broadcast quality video through firewire.

I am a VERY long time Mac user and have been trying to get him to switch back for years. He is thinking about buying a new "powerful" computer to do DV stuff and so the timing is great but I don't know DV stuff on the Mac that well. Could someone help me with the following?

- What real world advantages are there in the DV world for OSX users?
- What are the hidden costs in the Intel world that I can tell him about to justify the Mac (probably new powermac released in August)?
- What are the things that keep (or switched you) to using OSX for DV?
- Any good links / articles you can point me to?

TIA.

BZ

tr
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2002, 11:51 AM

i've always done DV editing on my G4 450, and i love it. recently at work, we needed to do some light editing (i.e. iMovie) of various sources (LD's, VHS, 1/2"), and transfer to DVD to archive, so my boss asked me my opinions, and to spec out a machine. first, i spec-ed out a G4 iMac 800. my boss didn't think that was 'fast' enough. he wanted the fastest mac, so I spec-ed out a dual gig G4 with superdrive, and said we should get a canopus ADVC-100 analog/firewire convertor. to make a long story short, i am now using a generic, pieced together 1.8gHz Pentium 4 with the canopus ADVC-100, all of which cost '1/2 as much, and almost twice as fast' as the mac.

but i guess 'using' this setup is stretching the truth. i can't get this thing to work consistently. i'm using XP with Pinnacle Studio DV software (cheesy, home movie software, no where near as usable as iMovie). when we got the computer, i spent a week trying to figure out why our 80 gb hd was only formatting as 10 gb. when i finally got it to format to 80 gb, XP didn't like the drive, and said i had none. after i got that fixed, i loaded up the software, ran the software, but always dropped 300+ frames on capture. then machine crashed. re-install XP. machine worked, but there is a 10 second lag between pressing the 'capture' button, and the video actually being captured. program crashed. had to reinstall program.

my boss thought that our ADVC-100 was buggy, so he asked me to take it home to see if it worked on my mac. worked flawlessly with iMovie and FCP. no lag, no dropped frames, nothing.

so here i am, trying to work with the machine. here i am, having to reboot after rendering/compressing a few files. one good thing i can say about this setup is that it's fast. it renders files in no time...it's faster than my 450 (but i've never used a dual gig, so don't know how render times are with newer G4's).

so what am i saying here? you can do DV editing on a PC, if you want to put up with crap: stuff may not work right off the bat, you may need certain software patches, drivers may need updating, software isn't that great. what i really like about doing DV on my mac in X (even with my lowly G4 450 running iMovie) is the fact that IT WORKS! no hardware drivers to update, no rebooting, just plug it in. i don't have to mess with any settings, or tweak the OS. this stuff just works. i'm really frustrated at work, i spent the last 2 1/2 weeks trying to debug a computer so it could perform just like my G4 at home.

you can do DV editing on the PC, for less money, but you may be paying with wasted time in the end. with iMovie or FCP on X, you know it's going to work with the hardware, it's the same damn company! sure, PC's are cheaper, but as other people have stated, when you buy a mac, you're not just buying cool looking hardware, or a cool looking OS, you're buying the whole experience...something that just works, and makes you more productive.

okay, sorry for the rant, and sorry if i didn't answer any questions you had, but this topic just set me off. (sigh) now i'm off to do some crappy editing on my generic-cased P4...

tr

<small>[ 07-29-2002, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: tr ]</small>

BZ  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2002, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. That really helps. I would like to know what the difference in speed between your set up and the dual gigger.

BZ

nitram_at_work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2002, 07:33 PM

try here
<a href="http://www.barefeats.com/fcp03.html" target="_blank">http://www.barefeats.com/fcp03.html</a>

and here
<a href="http://www.barefeats.com/pm04.html" target="_blank">http://www.barefeats.com/pm04.html</a>

and here
<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/29.macs.php" target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/29.macs.php</a>
_ _ _______ _ _
is this where the signature goes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules