Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point

Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point
tobster
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 09:16 PM

Will this work with the Airport Admin Utility?

link: Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point at Amazon

I did a search for "Linksys" but it didn't give me any matches so please don't flame me.

- tobs

-Q-
Sep 11, 2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by tobster:
Will this work with the Airport Admin Utility?

link: Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point at Amazon

I did a search for "Linksys" but it didn't give me any matches so please don't flame me.

- tobs
Airport Admin Utility? Nope. That will only modify the settings of the Airport Base Station. But the Linksys routers are pretty easy to set up. You just need to use a web browser...

But the Linksys wireless router will work with Macs and Airport cards...

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2002, 06:13 PM

i think linksys setup is better than Airport...'cuz all you have to do is type in 192.168.1.1 (default) in a webbrowser and off you go...with airport, i now have the problem of admin utility not detecting the basestation while i have 4 bars of signal and can access the internet fine (so it's not a subnet mask issue...since both are dhcp'd by another router)...as long as it works i guess...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2002, 10:54 AM

The Linksys access point should get better range than an AirPort Base Station, due to the twin antennas on the WAP11. I've been using one for about 18 months, and it's great.

One note, which applies to all wireless access points (including the ABS): if you can, place the access point on a high shelf. I got greatly improved range by putting mine on a shelf about 5 feet above the floor. Most impediments to the signal, like furniture, bookcases, appliances, etc., seem to be fairly low-about desk level or a bit higher. By putting your access point above that level, your signal should get through much more easily.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules