Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canon Powershot G3

Canon Powershot G3
ink
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 08:10 PM

Well, I want an SLR (Canon EOS D60 or Nikon D100), but I think I can settle for this:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/g3/index.html

What do you think (US$700)?

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2002, 08:24 PM

get the Minolta dimage7i

it's price is dropping to about 600. this is a 5 mega pixel slr-like prosumer.

the new dimage 7hi is going to drop the price down further, remember the 7i is relatively new and a good update tothe original dimage 7.

check it out at www.dpreview.com

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by ink:
Well, I want an SLR (Canon EOS D60 or Nikon D100), but I think I can settle for this:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/g3/index.html

What do you think (US$700)?
Buy the G2. It is a great camera and has most of the same features as the G3. You can pick up a G2 for under $600.

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by skyman:
Buy the G2. It is a great camera and has most of the same features as the G3. You can pick up a G2 for under $600.
Believe me, I would, but I can't find it for under $699 anywhere. For $100 more, I can get the G3, which has at least that much more in options (particularly the new image encoder).

chris_h
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by skyman:

I'm holding out for the G5.

MWSF maybe?

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 12:48 PM

My vote goes to the Sony...5MP, 5x optical zoom...quality wise, it's slightly oversaturated on red, as always, but otherwise a great camera...
Personally though, I has wished that Canon placed a 5MP CCD in the G3 and introduced a S50...guess I'll have to wait another year for that to come around
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Vanquish
Sep 18, 2002, 01:14 PM

Question for Ink: do you have the money for a Canon D60 or Nikon D100 ? If so, you could always buy a body without lenses (if you own Canon or Nikkor lenses that is) performance will be far above those little cameras. Also if you got the money go for the D100, way better than the Canon D60 IMO. Also: did you consider Coolpix camera's ?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 18, 2002, 01:30 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 08:16 PM. )

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Evangellydonut:My vote goes to the Sony...5MP, 5x optical zoom...quality wise, it's slightly oversaturated on red, as always, but otherwise a great camera...
Personally though, I has wished that Canon placed a 5MP CCD in the G3 and introduced a S50...guess I'll have to wait another year for that to come around
It uses memory sticks, though, which is an immediate disqualifier for me. I have quite an investment in compact-flash cards and peripherals, and it would take a least a couple hundred dollars to move formats. And, it doesn't do white balancing (the DSC-F717), though I do like the 5x optical zoom.

5MP vs 4MP isn't a big deal to me, especially considering that all the 5MP cameras have had "issues" with graininess (being a 1st-generation technology).

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
Question for Ink: do you have the money for a Canon D60 or Nikon D100 ? If so, you could always buy a body without lenses (if you own Canon or Nikkor lenses that is) performance will be far above those little cameras. Also if you got the money go for the D100, way better than the Canon D60 IMO. Also: did you consider Coolpix camera's ?
Do I have the money? Yes. Will my wife let me drop 2 grand on a camera? No, unfortunately.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 03:03 PM

I have the G2 and it's a hell of a camera. Easy to use for the novice, yet filled with features if you want to use them. Picture quality is beyond belief. Mind you, I don't use a lot of different cameras, but this one really really impressed the hell out of me.

That said, the G3 doesn't look like it adds much, besides 4X zoom, which would be nice.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
I have the G2 and it's a hell of a camera. Easy to use for the novice, yet filled with features if you want to use them. Picture quality is beyond belief. Mind you, I don't use a lot of different cameras, but this one really really impressed the hell out of me.

That said, the G3 doesn't look like it adds much, besides 4X zoom, which would be nice.
OK OK OK OK

You guys sold me. I'm gonna get a G2 for $564 (new). I've been frightened by all the AF complaints about it and the S40 (which is basically a mini-G2), but if the G2 is "Europe's #1 Camera for 2001" then it can't be all that bad.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 04:54 PM

... Also if you got the money go for the D100, way better than the Canon D60 IMO. Also: did you consider Coolpix camera's ?

Whoa. I have to disagree here. Have you seen side by side samples? The D60's CMOS sensor kicks ass compared to the CCD in the Nikon. Much better quality at the same resolution level, especially in difficult lighting situations.

I have been researching this extensivly lately (Getting a new camera at work for our product photography), and the D60 is a much better camera. This makes me sad because I have an all Nikon setup, and would like to use my existing lenses. I'm a real Nikon zealot.

Anyway, we are going to get a D60 and new lenses in a week or two.
(By the way, have you heard about the new 11 megapixel camera coming out from Canon??? WHOA!)

( Last edited by RAzaRazor; Sep 19, 2002 at 06:18 PM. )

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
I have the G3, and it is well worth the extra money over the G2. I use it when I don't want to lug around the full SLR setup, and I have never been disappointed in it. Just bite the bullet and go for the G3.

How did you get a G3 already?

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 06:17 PM

Oops. I dunno what I was thinking. I have the G2 and was thinking about it compared to the G1. My brain has been somewhere else all day.

Yeah, get the G2. It rocks!

:o

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 09:58 PM

• Canon G2 -- $619.00
  • 5-Year Mack Warranty -- $49.00
  • Addntl. 128MB CF -- $54.00
  • Canon Addntl. Battery -- $55.00
  • Esquire Carry Case -- $25.00 (I hated the Canon one!)

With shipping it came to $825, just $25 more than a new G3 would set me back. I found cheaper G2s out there, but they all wanted much more than $100 for the 5-year warranty (considering all the bits and parts in this camera, I figure it'll break in 5 years' time; plus it's my fourth camera, two of my previous three have busted).

Here's their website (B&H Photo in New York):

http://www.bhphoto.com

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 10:58 PM

good company thats where i got my CF firewire reader from

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Vanquish
Sep 20, 2002, 12:54 PM

Do I have the money? Yes. Will my wife let me drop 2 grand on a camera? No, unfortunately.
Bad luck

Whoa. I have to disagree here. Have you seen side by side samples? The D60's CMOS sensor kicks ass compared to the CCD in the Nikon. Much better quality at the same resolution level, especially in difficult lighting situations.

I have been researching this extensivly lately (Getting a new camera at work for our product photography), and the D60 is a much better camera. This makes me sad because I have an all Nikon setup, and would like to use my existing lenses. I'm a real Nikon zealot.

Anyway, we are going to get a D60 and new lenses in a week or two.
(By the way, have you heard about the new 11 megapixel camera coming out from Canon??? WHOA!)
I was just telling him to look at Nikon because I am a real Nikon zealot too
Actually I never did a comparison between a D100 and D60 (I just used it once and I tought it was REAL good, the D100 that is) I still prefer my D1X

About the 11 Megapixel canon: maybe I will become a Canon-zealot soon.

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 01:16 PM

I've got the G1. You wanna buy it?

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 01:33 PM

Also: did you consider Coolpix camera's ?
Yeah, I actually have a Coolpix 950 at work and I borrowed a Coolpix 885 from a friend for a bit. The 950 has problems with the switch, and the "twist design" kind of puts me off, and the navigational buttons are cumbersome. The 885 just takes bad pictures (of course I didn't say so to my buddy, who dropped like $600 on it a bit ago); they seem to have color problems and just don't look as crisp as the G2. Of course, the 950 is a generation older, and the 885 isn't in the same class, so it wasn't a very fair comparison; more of an emotional one. My local shop loves the 5700; but of course they're sold out, so I couldn't try it.

ink  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
I've got the G1. You wanna buy it?
Too late. I have my FedEx tracking number already. Now it's time to stalk fedex.com like a 12-year-old at Christmas.

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 05:43 PM

Enjoy. You're gunna like it!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules