Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > my senior ee project...

my senior ee project...
Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 02:52 PM

Senior year is about to begin and it's time to come up with ideas for some project classes I have...the 2 classes I must complete are:
EE91: analog circuit design
EE53: digital circuit design

As for what I'm gonna do, here goes:
EE91: iRock.
Same idea, my own implementation including PCB, so i can figure out why its hard to get a really good signal, etc...

EE53: 802.11b transciver.
Analog stereo from headphone jack goes to a Codec (too bad I can't directly take the MP3 digital output, extra DA/AD convertion must take a toll on quality), which then feeds a CPU that sends the data out to comercially avilable PCMCIA (or possibly CompactFlash Type I) 802.11b cards. (Receiving side flows the opposite direction)
There are a few problems with the 53 project...all originated with the TCP/IP stack needed to supply the 802.11b card. I can possibly program UDP myself, but that also requires me to write 802.11b drivers...so the solution: Linux. Specifically, uCLinux running on ARM7TDMI (@133 Mhz, .13 micron?) with a 2-4MB FlashROM that holds the kernel, Wireless Extensions for Linux and other necessary drivers. The idea seem like it'll fly, but I can't quite figure out how to debug the system...sure it'll have an UI consists of a few buttons and a LCD, but that's not for debugging...Also, I think I have to compile the Linux kernel on a *gasp* PC using gcc...a fellow Mac EE told me it has to be compiled on Linux on x86 (as opposed to Yellow Dog or Darwin) even though ARM is a RISC based chip...

I have a total of 10 weeks to get 91 PCB'd and working, and 18+ weeks to get 53 PCB'd and working...hopefully they'll all go into one simple package that I can just plug into stuff ^_^; We'll see...

If you are an EE buff who like to provide some advice, help, email me ^_^; otherwise, post your thoughts 'n comments here

(Oh yeah, one question...why would I want to use a MMU embedded chip (memory management unit)? if there is any real advantage to do so? ie ARM9/10 w/embedded linux)
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 06:33 PM

wait what????

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 07:35 PM

fu�king sweet as a freshmen EE major at umaine I can't wait until I get to do a project like that, a friend is bulding an amp that will tower over this

does anyone even know what this is

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

cheerios
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 08:42 PM

no.

good luck evanjelly! I know how those damn engineering projects can be...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 10:04 PM

Make sure that you really can't tap into the digital MP3 file

The penguin is your friend. Don't try doing your project with anything else.

Developing an embedded Linux computer and compiling Linux for it sounds pretty challenging. Is that digital circuit design course you mentioned an intro to digital logic, VHDL or computer architecture? If you want to have a good start you already need to know amplifiers and filters (analog design).

I don't know what the scope of your project is but if I had 10 weeks, I would pick a Linux ready embedded micro (google search powerpc linux phone ethernet) or a Compaq iPaq (there's a Linux distro for it). Kinda takes away the electrical part of the EE project and leaves you with a software engineering problem.

But if you say you can complete it in 10 weeks (the finished products) then you must have some spiffy CAD tools and simulators. Tell me tell me!

I don't have experience with PCB design but I would be wary of hardware salesmen because they were the biggest pain in my senior design project Make sure every link of the chain works or think of workarounds!

dav
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:

does anyone even know what this is
um, just a guess, but from the logo on the front, i'd say it's a krell amp.

Evangellydonut  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 12:06 PM

Developing an embedded Linux computer and compiling Linux for it sounds pretty challenging. Is that digital circuit design course you mentioned an intro to digital logic, VHDL or computer architecture? If you want to have a good start you already need to know amplifiers and filters (analog design).
the digital circuit design course is a senior year project course where the student handles everything from idea conception, design, pcb, software, packaging etc...I guess since its only for undergrads, it's not a "high level course".
Otherwise, I've already taken a VLSI class, a VHDL class, played around with audio codecs, made an MP3 player previously. Haven't had any good analog circuit theory class yet, but will by the time i start this 802.11b project

I don't know what the scope of your project is but if I had 10 weeks, I would pick a Linux ready embedded micro (google search powerpc linux phone ethernet) or a Compaq iPaq (there's a Linux distro for it). Kinda takes away the electrical part of the EE project and leaves you with a software engineering problem.

But if you say you can complete it in 10 weeks (the finished products) then you must have some spiffy CAD tools and simulators. Tell me tell me!
Well...that class is not expected to be completed in 10 weeks...since we are on quarters, I really have the 2nd term and most of 3rd term to work on that...if you include vacation time etc, works out to be 'bout 21 weeks...
Software part of it seems like it will be a royal PitA...hardware design however, doesn't seem too hard...PCB routing will take forever...that's mostly handled by Protel with optimization done by hand...I figure PCMCIA won't be that much different than a HD, and I've also done some codec work already...so it should be alrite...i hope.

I don't have experience with PCB design but I would be wary of hardware salesmen because they were the biggest pain in my senior design project Make sure every link of the chain works or think of workarounds!
Yeah...optimizing PCBs will take a LONG time...auto routers provide a good reference, but there's a lot of hand re-routing involved...and since we are only using 2-layer PCB, it's especially complicated...hopefully, the hardware will be hammered out by half-way, the 10 week mark, and rest will somehow fall into place afterwards ^_^;

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Evangellydonut:

the digital circuit design course is a senior year project course where the student handles everything from idea conception, design, pcb, software, packaging etc...I guess since its only for undergrads, it's not a "high level course".
Otherwise, I've already taken a VLSI class, a VHDL class, played around with audio codecs, made an MP3 player previously. Haven't had any good analog circuit theory class yet, but will by the time i start this 802.11b project

If you have made an MP3 player before then it will succeed. Are your project mates as experienced as you? I guess you get to be the whip-man, which can get stressing sometimes.

Well...that class is not expected to be completed in 10 weeks...since we are on quarters, I really have the 2nd term and most of 3rd term to work on that...if you include vacation time etc, works out to be 'bout 21 weeks...
Software part of it seems like it will be a royal PitA...hardware design however, doesn't seem too hard...PCB routing will take forever...that's mostly handled by Protel with optimization done by hand...I figure PCMCIA won't be that much different than a HD, and I've also done some codec work already...so it should be alrite...i hope.
Sounds like you have a GOOD GOOD quality PCB maker. Who is going to solder all those pins? Are you using DIP or Surface-Mount? Make sure your electronic vendors are reliable.
Yeah...optimizing PCBs will take a LONG time...auto routers provide a good reference, but there's a lot of hand re-routing involved...and since we are only using 2-layer PCB, it's especially complicated...hopefully, the hardware will be hammered out by half-way, the 10 week mark, and rest will somehow fall into place afterwards ^_^;
Douglas.com has pretty good PCB software and fabrication services... for Mac

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by dav:

um, just a guess, but from the logo on the front, i'd say it's a krell amp.

well you are kind of right

it is the best amp in the world it weighs in at an amazing 620lbs, its about the size of a coffe tabel, it is only mono so you need two of these to have stereo, its wattage is 1000@8ohms and somthing like 16000@2ohms. if you are a serious audiophile you would have to shell out 120,00 bucks for jsut one, and its only an amp. so a quarter of a million for a stereo system. not to mention some serious speakers to go with it, Krell speakers weigh in at 200lbs a piece and will blow you away.

btw that not me.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Evangellydonut  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:54 AM

Are your project mates as experienced as you? I guess you get to be the whip-man, which can get stressing sometimes.

Sounds like you have a GOOD GOOD quality PCB maker. Who is going to solder all those pins? Are you using DIP or Surface-Mount? Make sure your electronic vendors are reliable.

Douglas.com has pretty good PCB software and fabrication services... for Mac
it's a one man show...i gotta do everything, so i'm doing all the planning now...the project won't be due 'til before my graduation in June...

As for soldering, I'm guessing for test design, I'll be using DIP packages and wire-wrapping...hopefully that's not too bad. On PCB though, it'll probably be the smalest surface-mounts I can find, and the PCBs will be heated 'til the solder pads melt. I think that's the only way this can be done...'course the PCMCIA connector has to be soldered by hand.

I'll check out Douglas.com...I think the PCB maker my school use is some Canadian company...dunno why, but I'm not paying, so...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Evangellydonut  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:57 AM

btw that not me. [/B]
lol if you look like that as a freshman ee in umaine, i'd be scared!

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2002, 01:19 PM

Well thats great. Its a shame none of us could actually own that ever. What about McIntosh (not the computer ).

it is the best amp in the world it weighs in at an amazing 620lbs, its about the size of a coffe tabel, it is only mono so you need two of these to have stereo, its wattage is 1000@8ohms and somthing like 16000@2ohms. if you are a serious audiophile you would have to shell out 120,00 bucks for jsut one, and its only an amp. so a quarter of a million for a stereo system. not to mention some serious speakers to go with it, Krell speakers weigh in at 200lbs a piece and will blow you away.

btw that not me.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2002, 01:52 PM

Just because it's the biggest and most powerful thing on earth, doesn't mean it's the best. For instance, I'd rather die than put that thing in my dorm room or an apartment. A definite waste if you ask me.

turboSPE

btw that not me.

dav
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 02:32 PM

"kind of right" - ok, i'll clarify, it's a big friggin' waste of money krell amp.
i love music, but i'll never be an "audiophile". audiophiles can consider that my loss, i can consider it theirs.

Evangellydonut  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Just because it's the biggest and most powerful thing on earth, doesn't mean it's the best. For instance, I'd rather die than put that thing in my dorm room or an apartment. A definite waste if you ask me.

turboSPE

I can just see it now...a pair of those will probably use more electricity than a central air conditioner....not sure about those in particular, but I know some analog parts are always on (transformers, some transistors, etc), so just plug it in and wait for a $1k electricity bill every month (I'm in S. Cal, electricity is expensive here! @_@)

Forum Links
Forum Rules