Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does giving OS 9 the axe mean new processors?

Does giving OS 9 the axe mean new processors?
Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:41 AM

If starting in January all new Apple Hardware will only be able to boot OS X, does this mean new processors that will only be able to handle OS X? How else could you make hardware to only boot one operating system?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 19, 2002, 11:47 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 7, 2004 at 03:35 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 11:50 AM

Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't take a new processor to prevent OS9 from booting. Apple is my company!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 11:55 AM

Just Wondering:

For Apple to form a deal with a new Chip Maker other than Motorola...isn't that too big a news to keep secret?

You can't hide this type of info right? IBM is a bigger company than Apple (if it goes that route) and they HAVE to share this info with a lot of people like manufacturing, marketing, publicity, shareholders and etc.....right?

I think when Apple and the future chipmaker strikes a deal, then they will announce it publicly and then we can start to speculate about the partnership and the chip in question...right?

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 12:14 PM

we can always hope

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 01:18 PM

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,543317,00.asp

I highly doubt new processors will be ready before MWNY. Remember, January is 3 months away (less really).

Not enough time.

Will just be minor changes to the ROM or something.

And I'm sure someone will create a patch like a "System Enabler" to get those computers running.

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 01:23 PM

I honestly don't see classic going away for a while (talking years here). If the ability to boot into OS 9.x goes away, that's one thing, but there's still far too many that are running stuff that will only run under classic mode.

Sure, the "big" applications are mostly carbonized, but everyone has some stupid little appy they can only run under classic, inclusing several businesses.

As for processors, I'm not sure why they'd make a move to something else. Of course, if they could move to something faster than the G4 that would be a nice merger.

But again, too many little shareware/freeware and other smaller applications still requiring classic mode. Booting into OS 9.x may not be necessary, but they'll need classic for a while longer.
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 02:05 PM

Short term ( < 1 year ) no.

Long term ( 2-3 years ) maybe.

Jutaro
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 02:12 PM

You just don't know with Apple. Since they already have a relationship with IBM, there is no reason to believe that they would announce it early.

They may disappoint, or blow us away.

That's OK citizens of the world, sit back on your asses and let the Americans make the tough choices for you...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Jutaro:

They may disappoint, or blow us away.
A good blowing erases many disappointments.

Subzero Diesel949
Sep 19, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,543317,00.asp

Arrrggghh! Ye matey beat me to it! Arrgghhh!

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 02:24 PM

Isn't there a rumor that Apple keeps an updated version of OSX under development that will work with Intel processors?

Short answer: Maybe. Go ask motorola.

I'd guess that making the developers recompile and optimize for a different chip would be a huge pain in the ass...a task that would take time and require apple to notify their big developers well in advance of any change.

I'm guessing that if the big developers knew, then something would have leaked by now....so Apple is probably not going to change anytime soon. If processor speed starts to be a big problem (and I don't think that it is, yet) then I'm sure Apple will do whatever they need to so they can stay competitive...even if it is a huge pain in the ass for everyone involved. Getting rid of 9 from boot probably just makes it less of a pain...hope for the best, plan for the worse.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 02:27 PM

The only change to processor I can see happening in that short time frame would be the advent of the 7470 G4 (IIRC) which supports DDR.

I think that is the "model" #, but I can't find moto's roadmap to confirm it. IIRC, it's the next step G4 and is actually overdue.

Luckily Apple pushed ahead and made the rest of the chipset DDR ready in anticipation of the overdue G4.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 04:15 PM

I am sooooo sick of Motorola. There is something seriously wrong with that company. Man!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2002, 04:45 PM

I've always thought the problem wasn't with the chip, but rather the chip maker. IBM has had better chipmaking facilities than Moto for years. More power to them -and to Apple= if they do this. Lets us keep the superior PPC architecture, without being bound by Moto's ancient fabs.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 04:53 PM

I'm past getting my hopes up with Apple, but we shall see. Here's hoping for that IBM thing to come through (Apple announces Power4 in January and it comes out in March/April). *Sigh* Damn it, quit getting your hopes up!

Tigerabbit
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by driven:
A good blowing erases many disappointments.
Gay or straight, they all want to be blown.
If you put a bullseye on yourself, don't be surprised when someone takes a shot at you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I highly doubt new processors will be ready before MWNY. Remember, January is 3 months away (less really).
The other desktop Power4 is ready now. This new one could be reserved for the PowerBooks. Apple could very well announce the chip in MacWorld reserving it for desktops and iMacs. PowerBooks might not see an update for a while.

And I'm sure someone will create a patch like a "System Enabler" to get those computers running.
Man, I hope so. I've been wanting to get MacOS 8.5.1 on a G4 for soooo long.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
How else could you make hardware to only boot one operating system?
Firmware

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 07:41 PM

the problem starts with the chip before the chip maker...Cache problem with the original G4 (745x) is a design bug that can't be fixed 'til a new revision, kinda like the cache problem P4 had/has... Keep in mind ATI 'hand picked transistors' to make 9700 perform the way it did, meaning they hand optimized transistors in the layout, not in the manufacturing process...Layout is also where problem comes in with dye shrink, to my knowledge...so blame the engineers (I will be one...) first, then the fab...

As for new chip that won't support OS 9 period, I wouldn't be surprised...not at MWSF03 though...although it's said that all 32 bit apps will run okay on a 64 bit chip for Apple, the OS isn't your "normal" program...I pity Intel (and AMD)...Itanic is a step in the right direction, the x86 instruction set is soooooo old and soooooo horrible that legacy support will drag down efforts of future development...or a lot higher cost at making bigger dye...I think Intel's approach is the best for the industry, but since it's the worst for software companies and end users, it won't fly Too bad for them...gives Apple a little more time/room to catch in the near future. We'll see...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 07:42 PM

Man, I hope so. I've been wanting to get MacOS 8.5.1 on a G4 for soooo long.
i'm pretty sure my sawtooth came with 8.6...but later firmware flash made it bootable only from OS 9 or above...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 09:16 PM

Never mind schep everyone, he just has some sand in his vagina.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2002, 09:29 PM

It's 90% of the fab, about 10% of the chip. The G4 had some cache problems, but they were able to work around it. Since the cache is no longer an excuse, it's all fab problems. Motorola doesn't give a damn about the desktop market, that's not where they make their money. They couldn't care less if Apple went out of business.

Probably why IBM looks so scrumpcious. They have the manufacturing facilites in place already AND IBM relies on their own processors. So to just sort of not care which way the processors go isn't a reality for IBM. Plus, when their new fab building goes into operation, Apple will be sitting in fat city (so will AMD.)

Originally posted by Millennium:
I've always thought the problem wasn't with the chip, but rather the chip maker. IBM has had better chipmaking facilities than Moto for years. More power to them -and to Apple= if they do this. Lets us keep the superior PPC architecture, without being bound by Moto's ancient fabs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules