Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > really messed up problem with panther...

really messed up problem with panther...
Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 10:22 PM

iMac 500Mhz w/CDRW originally running on 10.1.5

upgraded to panther, rebooted problem free. auto-update ran and d/l all the programs and installed w/o problem. while auto-update was doing that, i put a copy of firebird on the iMac, and force quitted the software-update program. rebooted almost immediately, all that came up was one of those "no smoking signs"... u know, a circle with a \ through it...

popped in panther cd, fixed any problems with disk utilities, and seleted the startup volume to be 10.3.1 on Macintosh HD, still nothing.

Re-installed 10.3 clean with "preserve internet and user settings", and it hangs on "getting local users" during reboot...

So this is my 3rd installation try (no user and internet preservation) just short of re-formatting the HD, which i can't afford to do... *sigh* hopefully, it'll work this time around.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules