Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > how to make an external hard drive

how to make an external hard drive
mac_and_cheez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 09:06 PM

hello all...i have an issue that i need help with...i am a visual effects student so i would like to have an external hard drive to transport files from the labs at school to my home...i've been looking into building my own since it will be cheaper and i think i have the basics down...

the drive will be used between my mac and the pcs at the computer lab...like i said most of the basics i've gotten down but all of the advice i was given came from pc users...i just wanted some input from mac users since thats the kind of system i have...

thanks for all of your help!!
"if ya lookin' for a raw rapper, like marilyn's last name, i'm the man, son...so ATTEN-TION..." - Chamillionaire

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 09:51 PM

What will the max file size be?

If less than 1 meg, email them.
If less than 512 meg, buy a keychain drive.
What kind of interface? firewire? USB?
sam

mac_and_cheez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 09:58 PM

i will be working with large files...maya, photoshop, illustrator, 3dsm...thats why i want to have a portable hard drive
"if ya lookin' for a raw rapper, like marilyn's last name, i'm the man, son...so ATTEN-TION..." - Chamillionaire

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 04:36 AM

get a case with firewire AND usb 2�_many PC users prefer usb (it has to be 2.0 for big files) , Mac prefer fw.

format your drive, that it can be read by BOTH systems (no hfs+ or any other Mac only format). a Mac can read all PC formats, PC can not read any Mac format.-

I think, that's all you should know

wvx
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by mac_and_cheez:
hello all...i have an issue that i need help with...i am a visual effects student so i would like to have an external hard drive to transport files from the labs at school to my home...i've been looking into building my own since it will be cheaper and i think i have the basics down...

the drive will be used between my mac and the pcs at the computer lab...like i said most of the basics i've gotten down but all of the advice i was given came from pc users...i just wanted some input from mac users since thats the kind of system i have...

Get a USB2/FireWire combo enclosure for a 2.5" portable drive. When picking your enclosure, DO NOT get the cheapest one... Cheaper enclosures die faster and also cause you to lose data. Trust me. Get a high quality enclosure. The only point in getting a portable enclosure over a 3.5" enclosure for me is the 2.5" is usually bus powered. Make sure the enclosure will be bus powered over both FireWire and USB2.

Check out NewEgg for your 2.5" drive...
http://www.newegg.com/

wvx
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by mac_and_cheez:

Format the drive FAT32 on a Windows machine and it'll work great on both Mac and Windows.

wvx
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2004, 09:55 AM

Put "2.5" external enclosure" into a NewEgg search and you'll get a ton of enclosures, check out their customer reviews...

I'd check out this MacAlly one. I have the 3.5" MacAlly aluminum and it's been the best enclosure I've ever had... and I've gone through a lot of them...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-604&depa=0

mac_and_cheez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 05:43 PM

thanks for everyones help...i know now what i must do

mac_and_cheez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 05:46 PM

o...one last question...so no drivers need to be installed or anything?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 06:11 PM

no.

You do need to format the drive, obviously.

Forum Links
Forum Rules