Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!

Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!! (Page 8)
jonzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 01:23 AM

Had it for nearly 2 months now. No crashes whatsoever! Best investment made.
PB G4 1.33Ghz/2GB Ram/60GB/Combo, ibook G4 800Mhz/640 Ram/30GB/Combo, iMac (purple) 333Mhz/160 Ram, 23" Apple Cinema Display (Alu), G3 20GB Ipod, 4GB Ipod mini (Pink & Silver), Airport Express, iSight & GriffinTech Powermate.

dogbreath2200
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 10:41 PM

Got the 1Gb stick as an early christmas present and it works wonderfully.

skyslushy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by dogbreath2200:
Got the 1Gb stick as an early christmas present and it works wonderfully.
How do you guys recommend the outpost 1 GB stick? Is it worth the investment? Thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by skyslushy:
How do you guys recommend the outpost 1 GB stick? Is it worth the investment? Thanks.
Yes, 1 GB makes a huge difference, and seems was only me having some issue with the module BUT it was something wrong with my PowerBook mother board, not the RAM module. I would say: Go for it.

Leo the 3rd
Dec 20, 2004, 06:07 PM

Well since they are in stock again, I went for it an ordered 1GB. So I'll be up to 1.5GB of glorious RAM.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2004, 07:24 PM

Got my 2 1GB modules today, 1 works fine the other is defective. Now I got to return it from Ireland to USA in order to obtain a refund
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 02:15 AM

just put in my 1 gig stick the other day. i had 768 before, so took the 512 out and popped the 1 gig in. so far havent noticed too much difference... is there any difference?
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Leo the 3rd
Dec 21, 2004, 09:50 PM

Nice speedy turnaround from Outpost.com. Installed just fine. Now running 1.5GB with no issues. Will keep watch on how things go.

actionsnapshots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Leo the 3rd:
Nice speedy turnaround from Outpost.com. Installed just fine. Now running 1.5GB with no issues. Will keep watch on how things go.
Hi, can someone confirm the ram at http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BQcxarM41...58153#detailed will work on new 15" 1.5 GHZ PB? On Apple site, it stated DDR333 SDRAM ram and Outpost's description is "DDR PC2700 128x64 200Pin". I am a little confused. Also, when it comes to installation, is it plug and play that similar to TiBook's ram? TIA. Ben
( Last edited by actionsnapshots; Dec 24, 2004 at 02:28 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 03:41 PM

Price Drop! $149 today, Dec 24, 2004! In stock!

And I though PC2700 was DDR333, isn't it?
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Dec 24, 2004 at 03:47 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tinman831
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2004, 01:36 AM

Has anyone else tried any of the other 1gb modules that outpost.com sells? I saw last week that the Corsair 1gb stick was for 199 (only 50 more than the patriot) and it comes with a lifetime warrantee. Any feedback would be appreciated since I'd feel more at ease knowing I have a lifetime warrantee on the memory.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2004, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by tinman831:
Has anyone else tried any of the other 1gb modules that outpost.com sells? I saw last week that the Corsair 1gb stick was for 199 (only 50 more than the patriot) and it comes with a lifetime warrantee. Any feedback would be appreciated since I'd feel more at ease knowing I have a lifetime warrantee on the memory.
i'm using the corsair right now and i have no problems whatsoever.

Chulo
Dec 25, 2004, 11:53 AM

I just ordered mine this past week. I purchased it before the price drop.
I hope to get it soon and see what performance enhancements it brings to my Powerbook 1.25! I will report on it once I've used it for at least a week or so.

BlingBling 3k12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2004, 02:32 PM

Just ordered mine no more than 10 minutes ago... hopefully I can have it Tuesday (Overnight shipping, but because of the holidays I don't mind if it comes Tuesday).

Will report back when I get it!

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2004, 03:02 PM

I ordered mine earlier this week too and have not received it due to the storms in Ohio.
They said the wahehouse is in Ohio and nothing moved anywhere after the storms hit.
I called when I saw the price drop and they gave me the $10.00 back.
I paid for overnight shipping which will turn out to be more like 1 week but they did match the new price.
Not too shabby!

Grizz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 01:48 AM

Got mine in a few days ago, added it to the existing single stick 512mb and it's working fine. Just make sure when you seat it that it's all the way in the slot. Didn't do this on mine and wouldn't show the RAM until I seated it all the way in.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2004, 04:36 PM

so is it this forum or all mac users whore the ram out =P ? my friends wigged when i told them i had 1.25 gigs of ram on my notebook, oh and its kind of funny my ram number exceeds my processor 1.25gig>1gig lol

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 06:30 PM

Here's the linky again:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153

And, wish my luck on my job bids, so I can afford some of these upgrades!

-i

skyslushy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 10:07 PM

If the RAM module has a problem from outpost is it easy to return it and get a new one? Thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:20 PM

If the RAM module has a problem from outpost is it easy to return it and get a new one? Thanks.
Hi, you have 30 days to send it back and get a new one. For that reason I must to contact with the RAM manufacturer But I am in Europe, so dont worry about it.

vtgts300kw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 08:00 AM

will this ram work in a 12inch PB superdrive? i havnt recieved my laptop yet but want to purchase the ram beforehand jsut to get it out of the way.

it so far seems to be running fine on everyones computers which is always a good thing.

thanx for the reply.

Leo the 3rd
Dec 28, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by vtgts300kw:
will this ram work in a 12inch PB superdrive? i havnt recieved my laptop yet but want to purchase the ram beforehand jsut to get it out of the way.

it so far seems to be running fine on everyones computers which is always a good thing.

thanx for the reply.
Yes this RAM will work in your PowerBook 12". It supports 2700 DDR 200pin SO-DIMMS.

BlingBling 3k12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 07:00 PM

Got it installed... 1.25 GB of RAM... very awesome!

vtgts300kw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Leo the 3rd:
Yes this RAM will work in your PowerBook 12". It supports 2700 DDR 200pin SO-DIMMS.
thanx for the reply,

can someone also tell me what people are reffering to when in their computer specs they say Rev. 12inch Powerbook? what does "rev." stand for? please excuse my ignorance

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 09:34 PM

Ah, the oft-debated "rev." terminology. I'll stick my vote here that using the word "revision" shouldn't apply to the first model, the 867MHz. A revision implies that there was a version prior, and a revision is, well, a revised version.

"Version 1" may be appropriate, or even just naming the specs, like, 12" 1.33GHz.

As far as RAM goes, the specs for the 867MHz version is PC2100, whereas the next two versions (1GHz, 1.33GHz) are PC2700 (which is the subject of this thread). Whether or not they are interchangeable each way, I'll leave someone else to answer, though my guess is either will work, or at least, perhaps the PC2100 spec will not work in the later-versioned 1GHz, 1.33Ghz.

=i

Originally posted by vtgts300kw:
thanx for the reply,

can someone also tell me what people are reffering to when in their computer specs they say Rev. 12inch Powerbook? what does "rev." stand for? please excuse my ignorance

listed wrong specs

( Last edited by iomatic; Dec 29, 2004 at 12:42 AM. )

vtgts300kw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Ah, the oft-debated "rev." terminology. I'll stick my vote here that using the word "revision" shouldn't apply to the first model, the 867MHz. A revision implies that there was a version prior, and a revision is, well, a revised version.

"Version 1" may be appropriate, or even just naming the specs, like, 12" 1.33GHz.

As far as RAM goes, the specs for the 867MHz version is PC2100, whereas the next two versions (1GHz, 1.33GHz) are PC2700 (which is the subject of this thread). Whether or not they are interchangeable each way, I'll leave someone else to answer, though my guess is either will work, or at least, perhaps the PC2100 spec will not work in the later-versioned 1.25GHz, 1.33Ghz.

=i
ahhh huh, cheers for that. i was trying to think about what on earth it could mean. thanx for clearing that up.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 31, 2004, 04:52 AM

I received my Outpost.com 1 gb stick today. Ordered it at 6:20pm EST and got it about 9am this morning. I obviously used overnight shipping. Total price of about $160. It has worked great after about 4 or 5 hours of use. No kernel panics or anything. I say a definite good buy!

As for RAM, the 12" PB will take either 2100 or 2700 RAM, I have never noticed a difference in either of our PBs, one has 512mb of 2100 and the other 512mb of 2700 RAM. The system bus on Rev. A & B is only 133mhz, 167mhz on Rev. C. The 2100 RAM is 266mhz, so it is still faster than the bus. So go cheaper!
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
As for RAM, the 12" PB will take either 2100 or 2700 RAM, I have never noticed a difference in either of our PBs, one has 512mb of 2100 and the other 512mb of 2700 RAM. The system bus on Rev. A & B is only 133mhz, 167mhz on Rev. C. The 2100 RAM is 266mhz, so it is still faster than the bus. So go cheaper!
No. PC2100 isis not faster than the bus. You're right about the bus speeds, but Dual Data Rate (DDR) memory transfers data twice per clock cycle. So the machines with 133 MHz buses transfer data at 266 MHz. That requires DDR 266 RAM, which is PC2100. The Rev C with the 167 MHz bus requires DDR 333 RAM, which is PC2700.

Chris

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 10:28 PM

Thanks, Chris.

So, the 1.33GHz versions have 33% more speed than the first version on the bus plus double rate path between the RAM and CPU? That's great!

Originally posted by chabig:
No. PC2100 isis not faster than the bus. You're right about the bus speeds, but Dual Data Rate (DDR) memory transfers data twice per clock cycle. So the machines with 133 MHz buses transfer data at 266 MHz. That requires DDR 266 RAM, which is PC2100. The Rev C with the 167 MHz bus requires DDR 333 RAM, which is PC2700.

Chris

daiSho
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 09:58 PM

ok, got two sticks of 1GB through Outpost.com yestserday for my 1.5GHz 17" Powerbook... so far so good, no kp's, no problems. hopefully that will last, killer price for this much memory... but...

...can anyone recommend a good memory testing program for osX? i tried the one that comes bundled w/ TechTool Pro and it says 'Passed' for all tests, but the test goes by so fast its hard for me to believe that its very thorough or taxing, like Prime95 on Wintel platofrm... any suggestion would be great, i'd love to put these sticks through their paces..!

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 12:52 PM

I ended up getting the 1 gig stick from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...155-111&depa=0

NOT even 1 hicup after 3 weeks of moderate use!
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

69camaro
Jan 2, 2005, 06:15 PM

I received the 1 gig from outpost back in august, and just last friday my computer froze and would not restart. It would make the boot up sound but nothing after that. Sent it to Apple and they determined it to be the ram stick. So a bad experience here. On the down side, i now hate using the stock amount of ram. You never realize how big of a difference it really made until you have to go without it.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2005, 06:30 PM

Yep:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17156

Originally posted by daiSho:
...can anyone recommend a good memory testing program for osX?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 09:17 PM

Did this screw anything up permanently, like, if you removed the RAM, it was fine, etc.?

This blows, I'm waiting to receive mine tomorrow!

Originally posted by 69camaro:
I received the 1 gig from outpost back in august, and just last friday my computer froze and would not restart. It would make the boot up sound but nothing after that. Sent it to Apple and they determined it to be the ram stick. So a bad experience here. On the down side, i now hate using the stock amount of ram. You never realize how big of a difference it really made until you have to go without it.

skyslushy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by 69camaro:
So do you think it's better to pay an extra $50 and buy the 1 gb module from newegg where there is a lifetime warranty? How could a stick work fine for months and then all of a sudden deteriorate? Thanks.

69camaro
Jan 3, 2005, 01:00 AM

nothing perminant. I talked to the Apple store genius who works on my computer, and he said that it is possible for a ram stick to go bad however unlikely it is. I'm taking it into frys along with the Applecare note saying it was the issue for warrenty replacement.

Fusion
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 03:43 AM

I have been on vacation for the last week. I ordered a stick from outpost before I left so it would be waiting for me when I back. I came home with 2 notices on my door for attempted delivery, but since I wasn't there, they didn't leave it, even though there were 4 other packages on the doorstep for me. When I called the shipping company to schedule a re-delivery, they informed me they sent it back to outpost. I then called outpost for them to tell me that when they receive it, they will just refund the money, they cannot just ship it back to me. I now have to order another one and have it sent out. Bummer.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 04:12 PM

I just ran Rember, a GUI version of the memtest application mentioned earler.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508

All appears well. Snappiness-- maybe? I haven't run it hardcore, as usual.

skyslushy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2005, 07:46 PM

So, ram could just randomly go bad? Fry's is only found in California, right? So, if you live in NY and have a problem with the ram after several months will you be able to exchange it? So, even though the ram from newegg is a bit more expensive there is a lifetime warranty on it, wouldn't that be a better deal? Thanks.

Phossil
Jan 4, 2005, 12:55 AM

Just another testimonial - had mine for about a month in a 12" iBook with no problems whatsoever running all the time - I am very satisfied.

Leo the 3rd
Jan 4, 2005, 11:08 AM

So, ram could just randomly go bad? Fry's is only found in California, right? So, if you live in NY and have a problem with the ram after several months will you be able to exchange it? So, even though the ram from newegg is a bit more expensive there is a lifetime warranty on it, wouldn't that be a better deal? Thanks.
Fry's is also in Georgia.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 01:02 PM

Fry's is all over. They're in TX too.
Apple user since 1987

69camaro
Jan 5, 2005, 03:19 AM

I went in to exchange it yesterday, but they said it has to be online only as outpost.com is not directly connected to frys. Look slike i have to start the contact snail mail style.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 10:57 AM

i bought this chip a while ago (mid december) and brough it back to my country (Taiwan) to use it on my iBook. it didnt work. my iBook only reads half of the chip when it is installed, that is to say it only reads 512mb from this 1g chip.

my question is: what should i do?

return this chip and ask for a new one?

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 05:59 PM

I ordered two 1gb modules to my friends house in NyC. When he came home at Christmas he brought back the modules. 1 worked fine , the other was defective. I contacted Outpost, got an RMA code and sent it back.1 week later the money for the defective module was credited to my credit card. Very impressive.

I now have 1.25GB and to be honest I don't notice much/any of a difference between 1.25GB and 512MB.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 07:13 PM

There is a $30 rebate off the $159 price currently at outpost.com, for those that are interested.

skelotar
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 04:12 PM

Where did you find that rebate? I only see it as being listed for 159..

Thanks

Originally posted by SEkker:
There is a $30 rebate off the $159 price currently at outpost.com, for those that are interested.
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

robbiedigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by skelotar:
Where did you find that rebate? I only see it as being listed for 159..

Thanks
The rebate offer ended 1/13. The price went up to $189, too. I ordered the chip last night and it arrived this morning. Works great and no problems at all so far. $129 after rebate.

ichibod
Jan 13, 2005, 11:44 PM

I ordered it for $159, the rebate link never worked. So i called, they said they never intended to have the rebate, it was their error, so they are crediting my card the $30. so $129!

robbiedigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by ichibod:
I ordered it for $159, the rebate link never worked. So i called, they said they never intended to have the rebate, it was their error, so they are crediting my card the $30. so $129!
I couldn't download the rebate either. I clicked the link that sent a request to have the rebate mailed. Will call customer service first thing in the morning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules