Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac mini ... not a good time to buy?

imac mini ... not a good time to buy?
hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 10:13 PM

So, what do folks think about this: buying the imac mini right now is not a good deal if you are going to use it as a second mac. Here's my reasoning

ilife '05 = $79
OS X tiger = $??? but probably $129 when released

imac mini bought when tiger is released = $499 but includes ilife '05 and OS X tiger
thoughts?

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:22 PM

It is a great deal no matter what. If you need a computer right now, the mini is a great one to get. It has enough juice for most of the stuff and is priced really well. I am thinking about picking one of thse puppies up for myself soon.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2005, 10:34 PM

It already includes iLife 05.

But yeah, if it were me, I'd wait for Tiger if I didn't need the machine urgently.

tooki

P.S. It's "Mac mini", not "iMac mini" -- no "i".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
P.S. It's "Mac mini", not "iMac mini" -- no "i".
Mac mn ?

Looks weird

-t

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 10:42 PM

I agree - if you're in the know, wait until Tiger is at least announced for a date - usually after that its a free upgrade. But, if you need a new computer now - this is SWEET, has iLife 05 - and panther pretty much rocks...not like days we complained about 10.1 and jag-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2005, 10:42 PM

Tiger aside, given that the mini mac is such a significant design departure, I would wait until the reviews start to pour in before buying. Apple Rev A's are usually subject to some growing pains.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 10:48 PM

Darn it, double post...

-t

dws
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 01:22 AM

Given the fact that Steve Jobs again referred to Tiger in vague "first half of 2005" terms; I think that this pretty much guarantees that it won't be coming out any time soon. I honestly don't expect a release date earlier than the end of April.

It all depends how long you are willing to wait for this sweet little computer & iLife '05!

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 01:45 AM

I wouldn't wait for Tiger to be preinstalled unless you're really not anxious for a new computer. Look at it this way: Tiger won't be released for 5-6 months from now. Apple usually continues shipping their previous OS on systems for about a month (they did with the Jaguar/Panther transition, anyhow). At that time, you'll tell yourself that the first Mac Mini revision can't be too far off, and you'll end up waiting another month or more. And by that time, Macworld San Francisco 2006 will be mere weeks away, and you'll want to hold off just in case some new gotta have Apple product is announced.

In other words, if you don't buy a Mac Mini now, we'll be having this discussion again this time next year

And I wouldn't worry too much about this being a revision A product for two reasons. First being that my last two computers have been revision A products and I've had no problems, and second being that the Mac Mini is built on tried and true hardware that Apple's been using for years. There's nothing in that Mac Mini that's really gone untested.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 02:02 AM

My guess is that OS X Tiger was not announced is because it is coming SOONER not later. If SJ had said it was shipping in March (my guess is march 8), just think how many people would hold off ordering an iMac mini until then just to get Tiger for "free." Anybody buying a mini now may well be shocked to learn that they have to pay $129.99 for Tiger in 8 weeks or so. I am interested in one of these but won7t buy until I know when Tiger is shipping.
The other upside is that I hope the $499 price tag will push down prices of Sonnet's and Giga's G4 upgrades. Getting pretty hard to charge $368 here in Japan for a 1.2 GHz G4 upgrade when I can buy a whole new iMac mini for $131 more (HOPE YOU READ THIS SONNET!)

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 10:01 AM

I notice that the Mac mini is currently listed as shipping with AppleWorks in the software bundle... wonder how long it will be (if at all) until iWork is bundled instead...?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by rocky2:
My guess is that OS X Tiger was not announced is because it is coming SOONER not later. If SJ had said it was shipping in March (my guess is march 8), just think how many people would hold off ordering an iMac mini until then just to get Tiger for "free."
Interesting thought. You might be right...

-t

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Paco Loco:
I notice that the Mac mini is currently listed as shipping with AppleWorks in the software bundle... wonder how long it will be (if at all) until iWork is bundled instead...?
Probably not until it is as full-featured as Appleworks. At least not until it has a spreadsheet.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by hamiltondj:
imac mini bought when tiger is released = $499 but includes ilife '05 and OS X tiger
thoughts?
Good call. I was just trying to justify a purchase of one.. was totally overlooking Tiger.

I'll wait. I just hope Tiger comes on a seperate install disc so that I can upgrade my other 2 macs as well.

Of course, the $499 starting point is just that. The larger HD,bluetooth and airport, a gig of memory, and another monitor... all of a sudden, I'm well over a grand.

I will wait until Tiger. Thanks for the input.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Equally, don't forget the resale value of a Tiger retail box. If you buy Tiger separately and subsequently upgrade your main Mac, you will get some money back - well over half the purchase price - if you sell the box.

And also remember that Tiger won't come preinstalled on Mac minis for a month of two AFTER Tiger's retail launch; alternatively you'll have to pay $20 or so to get the CDs mailed to you, which will be slow.

And as an earlier poster has said, by that time a Mini upgrade will be just around the corner.

I'd buy it now. For the sake of saving less than �100, you're forsaking six months' use. If the machine is actually important to you, surely it's worth that?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by rocky2:
My guess is that OS X Tiger was not announced is because it is coming SOONER not later.
My guess is that we'll see Tiger on June 30 (which is just barely in the first half of 2005)

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 02:15 PM

I'll wait. I just hope Tiger comes on a seperate install disc so that I can upgrade my other 2 macs as well.
[/B]
If I were you I do the honest thing and buy now. When Tiger is released, buy the OS Family Pack $199 for 5 legal copies of Tiger.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 10:29 PM

the observation if tiger shipping sooner rather than later is interesting. i mean - he DID spend quite a bit of time on it in the keynote address.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 11:10 PM

If you wait until the Mac mini comes bundled with 10.4, then you will be kicking yourself for not waiting 2 more months for the mini rev B.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 11:35 PM

My 2cents:

Wait until Tiger's ship date is announced. Once that happens, computers purchased afterwards are eligible for up-to-date. So you get:

A mini sooner
You only have to pay $20 for Tiger and you get the retail box version which is preferable to the software restore disc, IMHO.
It'll probably be announced within a coupla months .. enough time for any mac mini "issues" to surface.

Balance young grasshopper ... balance

Scarpad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 12:40 AM

Good call. I was just trying to justify a purchase of one.. was totally overlooking Tiger.

Of course, the $499 starting point is just that. The larger HD,bluetooth and airport, a gig of memory, and another monitor... all of a sudden, I'm well over a grand.

Well I just did it, Actually I probably overdid it.

I Ordered from Apple

Mac mini 1.42
512mb Ram
Airport Extreme Card
80GB HD
Superdrive (I'm not sure why I did this just figured I would regret not getting this later)

Total $853

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 01:15 PM

One of the Reasons I wouldn't wait til 10.4 is released is because of the Upgrade to 10.4 it's NOT bootable. The last few OS X updages have not been bootable. It comes with iLIfe 05 so that would save you at least 79 bucks.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
One of the Reasons I wouldn't wait til 10.4 is released is because of the Upgrade to 10.4 it's NOT bootable. The last few OS X updages have not been bootable.
Uhm, I don't understand what you're saying.
Could ou please elaborate. Thx.

-t

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
What I'm saying is that with the retail version of 10.4 you can hold down the "C" Key and boot from the CD. so that if you want you can install the system fresh without having to install an older system first then upgrade. Apple switched to this a couple of years ago which kind of sucks.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
What I'm saying is that with the retail version of 10.4 you can hold down the "C" Key and boot from the CD. so that if you want you can install the system fresh without having to install an older system first then upgrade. Apple switched to this a couple of years ago which kind of sucks.
Yeah, but you can understand why they did it. Someone buys a new computer then gives the OS X installer disk to all their friends and family members instead of buying at least one boxed copy. It's kind of a gray piracy thing.

You could Apple's say had a hardware sale so they should be happy, but their gross margins are actually higher on software than hardware (true of all manufacturers actually - look at Microsoft's).

I'm sure this has more to do with a small attempt to prevent cases where 1 hardware purchase = 5 lost OS X sales, especially with something as cheap as the Mac mini (and low margin - Apple's making about $90-$100 per mini sale according to their financial briefing).

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
Babel fish
i look in your general direction

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2005, 07:12 PM

Technically, NOW is the best time to buy the iMac mini. Sure you may have to buy a $129 upgrade, but by the time it ships, you might be in the middle of the Mac mini life cycle.

Consider the eMac time between upgrades are between 5 - 9 months apart... if you wait until April, you may buy (saving $129) only to find that there is a new computer 5 months later.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 08:02 PM

Does the Mac mini have a microphone jack? Also, does it only owrk with USB mice and keyboards? I am asking because there are only 2 usb ports and when I looked at the pictures, I didn't see any kind of spaces that looked like they were particulary for a mouse and keyboard.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Mr Heliums:
I'd buy it now. For the sake of saving less than �100, you're forsaking six months' use. If the machine is actually important to you, surely it's worth that?
I should have disclosed that I am up to my neck in Macs. I definitely don't need to buy now.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by HazelGirl:
Does the Mac mini have a microphone jack? Also, does it only owrk with USB mice and keyboards? I am asking because there are only 2 usb ports and when I looked at the pictures, I didn't see any kind of spaces that looked like they were particulary for a mouse and keyboard.
You plug the USB keyboard into one of the USB ports in the back. then the mouse into the USB port on the keyboard. I don't believe there is an audio in but that can be taken care of by 3rd party stuff

billtorino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by hamiltondj:
So, what do folks think about this: buying the imac mini right now is not a good deal if you are going to use it as a second mac. Here's my reasoning

ilife '05 = $79
OS X tiger = $??? but probably $129 when released

thoughts?
Thoughts? Life is too short.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by billtorino:
Thoughts? Life is too short.
Sure. I'd like a beer now.

-t

robco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 09:07 PM

"Don't buy a Rev/A product" and "don't by a x.0 version of software." Sure, Tiger will ship in the early half of 2005, but I would wait until the first point release before taking the plunge.
TAFKADB

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by robco:
"Don't buy a Rev/A product" and "don't by a x.0 version of software." Sure, Tiger will ship in the early half of 2005, but I would wait until the first point release before taking the plunge.
These two things don't compare.

The Rev. A hardware is not upradable for free, the x.0 OS version will come with free updates to x.y

-t

robco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 09:01 PM

The Rev. A hardware is not upradable for free, the x.0 OS version will come with free updates to x.y
My point is that people are waiting until Tiger is available and shipping. However, there are occasionally bugs in the first release, as was the case with Panther, that can cause problems. I would wait until after 10.4.1 is available before upgrading.
TAFKADB

dwood
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 12:21 AM

wait til you see it, it's sooooooo freakin cool, absolutely silent. I can't wait til i get mine!
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

Forum Links
Forum Rules