Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Swapping to a larger HD

Swapping to a larger HD
absolut78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 12:57 PM

The actual swapping is not a problem it is the transfer of data and programs.
I am moving to Germany in a few weeks and all my system disks have been packed up and sent away. So all I have is my CD for OS X and thats it. Is there a way to copy what is on my HD to a DVD and then when I load my new HD and load OS X I can reinstall all my old programs?

Joe

dwood
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2005, 01:13 PM

Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 01:38 PM

Yes, place the new drive into an external firewire case like the one noted in the prior posting. Attach via firewire.

Format the new drive as a Mac OSX volume using Disk Utility.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your existing drive onto the new drive. Be sure to set Carbon Copy Cloner to make the clone bootable! Otherwise the Darwin links won't be created to make the new drive bootable.

Try booting off the new drive. If successful, shut down and swap the drives.

Once the new drive is in your PB, rename it to exactly the same as your old drive and everything should be as it once was except now you have more capacity.

BTW, I've installed both the Seagate Momentus and Fujitsu 100 GB drives in our powerbooks. The extra space is great!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Guy Kuo:
BTW, I've installed both the Seagate Momentus and Fujitsu 100 GB drives in our powerbooks. The extra space is great!
Indeed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules