Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro on ebay

MacBook Pro on ebay
DoGoodDrugs
Jan 23, 2006, 01:38 PM

macnn's news headline (or whatever) has this link
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Apple-MacBook-Pro...QQcmdZViewItem

what are everyones thoughts on this? is this a stolen macbookpro? will apple take action? who is gonna buy this, since i heard that the ones displayed at macworld were prototypes and not the final release. and how much do you think this will go for? to get one a month before everyone else.

~DGD

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 01:46 PM

Does the auction claim to have one in stock? Or they will ship when the Macbook becomes available? I can't read french.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 01:55 PM

Its either one of two things,
Fraud or selling something he doesn't have yet,i.e., not in stock. Just look at the image, you don't see the computer in a real world setting but just the stock photograph.

The seller is trying to bank on the eagerness of people wanting to get their hands on the mactels.

Mike

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 01:57 PM

SCAM!

Don't have to read French to know that Apple hasn't SHIPPED them yet...

NyssaG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 01:57 PM

I don't think it is mentioned anywhere....

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 23, 2006, 02:37 PM

yeah, those guys can be sneaky. i recently bid on some powerbooks, and i got a "fisher" email trying to tell me that i had a second chance offer (where the winning bidder backs out and you have a 2nd chance to get the item). it looked so authentic.

Luckily, hotmail.com (and yes, microsoft) has a little box on the screen that says that it can not verify the id of the sender of the email. it never did that for my previous ebay emails. i hope microsoft's standard catches on elsewhere.

also, i won an ebay powerbook auction and the seller tried to send me a spoofed email saying that ebay "verified" him to be authentic so it is ok to send him money via Western Union to the UK despite the seller being in NJ.

Luckily, i've been around the (ebay) block so i know these are huge no-no's. scum bags.

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 08:23 PM

Be extremely careful of buying Powerbooks on Ebay (or anything, for that matter). I believe there was a thread (maybe a few years ago) detailing people's experiences. I think Powerbooks are particularly bad because they are so popular and have "dense" value (relatively small, easily shipped item worth a lot of money).

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 08:39 PM

The address the seller gives isn't even valid. "Paris, Poitou-Charentes" is not physically possible; Paris is not in Poitou-Charentes, which is in fact something like 300 miles southwest of Paris.

The rest of it is just the specs; with the couple of lines in bold at the top the usual marketing mumbo-jumbo about two processors in one.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 08:56 PM

That's the strangest eBay listing I've ever seen. Besides the fact the address isn't possible (Paris is not only not in the region of Poitou-Charentes, it is nowhere near it), there are to all intents and purposes no payment instructions other than the usual eBay boilerplate about contacting the vendor. The description simply notes that the item is "new", and then lists the specifications. There is simply no indication at all as to when the item might ship. But the vendor (eBay member since 9th January 2006) claims to ship worldwide without even exceptions for places like Indonesia.

This is so flagrant someone ought to report it. But to whom?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by photoeditor
That's the strangest eBay listing I've ever seen. Besides the fact the address isn't possible (Paris is not only not in the region of Poitou-Charentes, it is nowhere near it), there are to all intents and purposes no payment instructions other than the usual eBay boilerplate about contacting the vendor. The description simply notes that the item is "new", and then lists the specifications. There is simply no indication at all as to when the item might ship. But the vendor (eBay member since 9th January 2006) claims to ship worldwide without even exceptions for places like Indonesia.

This is so flagrant someone ought to report it. But to whom?
How about *gasp* eBay?? Whodathunkit?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 08:49 AM

If the price isn't within 10% of retail, then it is a scam. Besides, he has a feedback level of 1. That's really trustworthy!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 11:47 AM

Looks like you might wind up with one of these:

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

Scroll down this link page for pics. The BT mouse idea at the bottom is interesting...

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
yeah, those guys can be sneaky. i recently bid on some powerbooks, and i got a "fisher" email trying to tell me that i had a second chance offer (where the winning bidder backs out and you have a 2nd chance to get the item). it looked so authentic.

Luckily, hotmail.com (and yes, microsoft) has a little box on the screen that says that it can not verify the id of the sender of the email. it never did that for my previous ebay emails. i hope microsoft's standard catches on elsewhere.
I can say nothing regarding your seller or the item you bid on, but actually the "Second Chance Offer" is probably legitimate. Any time you sell on eBay and the winning bidder can't pay you, as a seller you can initiate an official second chance offer.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by urrl78
Looks like you might wind up with one of these:

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

Scroll down this link page for pics. The BT mouse idea at the bottom is interesting...
I just spent the last half hour reading that story and laughing my butt off.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 24, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stecchino
I can say nothing regarding your seller or the item you bid on, but actually the "Second Chance Offer" is probably legitimate. Any time you sell on eBay and the winning bidder can't pay you, as a seller you can initiate an official second chance offer.
I know it was completely fake. Here's what tipped me off

1. the rules on 2nd chance offers and they said that they would have a message in my "my messages" section. There were no such emails
2. the email did not list my full name. All official ebay emails has a "security zone" in the upper corner of the email that lists your ebay id and your full name (first and last). My email account only gives my first name and last initial.
3. I forwarded the email to [email protected] and they sent me an email back, confirming that it was spoofed.

When ebaying for powerbooks, it seems like these scammers are ruthless. i had 3 or 4 spoofed emails (relating specifically to powerbooks) in one weekend. and i had never had someone try to scam me on ebay (besides the standard "phishing" emails) before this weekend
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules