Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B85 (GM) posted on ADC

Panther 7B85 (GM) posted on ADC (Page 2)
wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
debug code
...and there I was thinking how splendidly well-behaved everyone had been, to get almost a whole page into a thread about Panther GM without a single reference to debug code.

Oh well. At least no-one mentioned "snappy".

oops

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
sorry, can't do that.
Alternatively:

a) obtain loaded firearm.

b) point firearm at computer

c) pull trigger repeatedly until no further traces of debug code are to be found.

-s*

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 12:44 PM

Any MD5 checksums of the disk images? Can be done with

openssl md5 file

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
That's completely wrong. There is only one build of 7B85. That's the whole *purpose* of build numbers. There are NEVER two builds with the same number. It would violate every principle and means of quality control and software design. Controlled, automatic build numbering and version control are minimal requirements for certifications from industry groups such as ISO.

Also, there is not one person that any end customer can currently call at Apple that will discuss build numbers of Panther, or would even say anything like that. Nice try though. C+ for effort, F for creativity.

To repeat: there is one, and only one, build of 7B85. Anyone with a non-corrupted CD of 7B85 that has not been tampered with has exactly the same OS that will come in boxes on the 24th.

That said, again, this shouldn't be an issue since everyone is buying Mac OS X 10.3...correct?

(And one more important note: the ADC 7B85 seed will identify itself as a "prerelease" version. ALL ADC Mac OS X seeds are identified in this fashion - it does not mean that 7B85 isn't GM.)
The GM version of Panther and what shipped was different if you remember piracy...
There was the damn readme

De Luca
Oct 15, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
if i was pedantic, i'd ask why an ADC build of 7B85 would identify itself as a "prerelease" version, but the 7B85 that's in the shrinkwrapped box wouldn't, if there was only one version of 7B85?

but then again, i might just be yankin' yer chain for amusement value before i put this mac to sleep for the night
True, if you REALLY were pedantic, you might have noticed your grammar error.

"If I was pedantic..." should be "If I *were* pedantic"

INCORRECT USE OF THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD.... minus 2 points :-)

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 05:21 PM

All I'm gonna say is everyone keeps bitching about what the *real* GM is because they want to go on Carracho, Hotline, Direct Connect, FTP or whatever so they all can go download it weeks before it comes out. That way they can be on their high horse and save themselves $100 that Apple needs to keep pumping out wicked software.

... Just my $0.02

Almost forgot something! If this post locks the thread, oh well, we got enough threads like this anyways!

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2003, 11:35 PM

Finally got around to installing 7B85. Already there's an update for iSync 1.2.1 . VERY fast. I'm liking it so far.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2003, 11:40 PM

EDIT: Nevermind...working now. Had to set it up under Bluetooth first.

On the "cool" side, when you start an app, the icon sort of zooms at you and fades out.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules