Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Difference between LaCie d2 and Porsche + How quiet are they?

Difference between LaCie d2 and Porsche + How quiet are they?
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 08:44 PM

I need to get a 160gb external FW drive for video editing, This will be used with an iMac 17inch 1Ghz.

After a lot of searching on this site, I decided against getting a separate drive and enclosure and assembling. I'd rather go for a complete package. (Less hassles to deal with one mfg if something goes wrong.) I have narrowed it to the following:

LaCie d2 for $189 http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10022
LaCie Porsche design for $169 http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10110
and OWC Mercury Elite for $219 http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...le=&Template=1

Both LaCie are 2mb buffer drives while the OWC is an 8mb (WD I believe). The OWC presents itself as a very quiet drive which is very important to me as the iMac is almost completely silent even when accessing the HD.

I wonder what the difference is between the two LaCie drives as it looks like the drive itself is the same. Is it just looks?

I would also like to know how quiet the LaCie ones are. Expecially compared to the OWC which seems to focus on that aspect. I would imagine that since all 3 uses external power bricks, there would be no need for fans inside the enclosures and therefore they should be similar as far as noise, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 05:08 AM

Hi, I own a LaCie d2 80GB, it is very quiet, I have a 17" PB. I don�t know about the OWC one, but... avoid WD hard disk (8MBcache), I have one, it is incredibely noisy, I had it inside my PowerMac, and finally get it out and place it on a LaCie cdrw case I hav (the previous metallic/blue, not the d2), and it is almost all time off, noisy as hell.

I preffer the d2 design instead of porsche ag design, just my opinion. You can place it horizontally and vertically, don�t know about the porsche one.

Dr.Michael
Mar 24, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Lebodde:

Both LaCie are 2mb buffer drives while the OWC is an 8mb (WD I believe). The OWC presents itself as a very quiet drive which is very important to me as the iMac is almost completely silent even when accessing the HD.

I discussed a similar problem in another thread.

Sarotech or Lacie external case

The decision for a case and a separate hd means you can control what hd you get and buy a quiet one.

With lacie you never know whats inside.

But in the meantime I found out that you can also buy the d2 box without hd (at least here in europe). Maybe thats the best solution.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
But in the meantime I found out that you can also buy the d2 box without hd (at least here in europe). Maybe thats the best solution.
wow!, that surprises me could you give more info, please?, maybe I could put that noise WD inside, at least, the d2 looks pretty nice, thanks in advance.

Dr.Michael
Mar 25, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
wow!, that surprises me could you give more info, please?, maybe I could put that noise WD inside, at least, the d2 looks pretty nice, thanks in advance.
Hi,

I checked this again at cancom.de. But I was indeed fooled. For 149$ they offer a 80 GB hd in the d2 case. So it was the case with the smallest drive inside and not the case alone.

But it might be worth to buy a lacie and, if the drive is too loud, sell the drive at ebay and get a good new drive.

This will cost only a little additional money.
But please read my thread. There was also a tip from a member who found a case without fan that worked well.

Michael

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 05:01 PM

No problem Dr. Michael, I found a site here in Spain that has (I think) great prices on LaCie stuff, check them:

d2 burner dvd+r+rw-r-rw/cd 8x firewire -> 173 �

external hd d2 120 GB 7200 rpm firewire -> 140 �
....................... 160 ..................................... -> 154 �
....................... 200 usb2 / fw 800 ............ -> 204 �
....................... 250 firewire ...................... -> 209 �

external hd porsche 80 GB 7200 rpm firewire -> 107 �
external hd porsche 160 GB 7200 rpm firewire -> 144 �
external hd porsche 250 GB 7200 rpm firewire -> 194 �

I was really looking for AppleCare at a good price for my 17" PowerBook, and found that these guys have it 100 � under the Apple Store�s price tag.

www.todohard.com

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 05:20 PM

OK, I'll answer my own question.

I ended up calling LaCie directly and here is the deal: Both are exactly the same except for the cosmetics of the enclosure. The only difference is that since the d2 is all metal while the Porsche is 50% plastic, the d2 might be a little better at absorbing the noise...

The guy also indicated that they are planning on moving all the FW800 to the d2 enclosures and leaving the FW400 to the Porsche one.

Now we know.

Dr.Michael
Mar 26, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Lebodde:
OK, I'll answer my own question.

I ended up doing this too.
There seem to be only few people around here who use external drives.
Thanks for the info.

Michael

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 01:29 PM

I run Panther from my d2 LaCie, and the start up time is blazing fast !

pgolf
Mar 26, 2004, 04:12 PM

The OWC Elite for $219 uses a 160GB Hitachi DeskStar 7K250. According to the Product Specs under Standard mechanism.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 04:40 PM

As I've always known it, Lacie LOVES IBM/WD/hitachi drives...

I avoid those thigns like the plague. *shrug* Whatever you say though..
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 06:57 PM

We have 2 D2's at work. They are very quite and made totally our of metal. I read a review that said the Porsche ones are made from plastic and feel cheap.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

mmihalik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
As I've always known it, Lacie LOVES IBM/WD/hitachi drives...

I avoid those thigns like the plague. *shrug* Whatever you say though..
LaCie has not used IBM/Hitachi drives for some time now.

LaCie now use Maxtor and WD.

Mike
M2inOR

Forum Links
Forum Rules