Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bookmark filing still poorly implemented in Safari

Bookmark filing still poorly implemented in Safari
bikeboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 01:31 PM

The best mechanism I've ever used was built into an older version of Netscape (PC version). To file a bookmark, all you had to do was grab the address, drag it up to the bookmarks menu, the menu would then drop down and give you access to all your bookmark folders and sub-folders. Without letting go of the address, you simply had to navigate to the desired folder and drop. Total number of clicks 1.

Simple, fast, elegant. Why can't this be implemented in Safari?

Your thoughts?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by bikeboy:
Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that I can take the extra one or two clicks the "Safari way" seeing that I add Bookmarks once every few months, if even that. The more commonly used bookmarks in the "Bookmarks Bar" are indeed as you described above...

I don't see any problem and hesitate calling the whole Bookmark filing system within Safari "poor" as you aptly did.

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 01:55 PM

I agree with MoS, because I rarely add bookmarks and those I do use often are in my Bookmarks Bar. You can press Command-D and select the folder to put the bookmarks in - probably the quickest way in Safari.

Submit feedback to Apple and it might get considered...
http://www.apple.com/feedback/
There's no Safari option so I would suggest the Mac OS X route.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 02:40 PM

Safari is not meant to be a high-end browser. It gets the job done, of course, but power-user features are left to other browsers like Shiira, Opera, and Firefox.

Most users don't add bookmarks very often. Plenty do, of course -myself included- but even most of these don't seem to mind Safari's method. You can, of course, ask Apple to include it, but I wouldn't expect it to be added in. You might have more luck with the Shiira developers.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

bikeboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
My thoughts are that I can take the extra one or two clicks the "Safari way" seeing that I add Bookmarks once every few months, if even that.
Fair enough, although adding bookmarks once every few months seems atypical. I might add dozens a day when researching a topic. I measure efficiency of a process by the number of clicks I need to use to get the job done, and done well.

The more commonly used bookmarks in the "Bookmarks Bar" are indeed as you described above...
Safari only allows you to drag and drop a bookmark to the upper level folder in the bookmark bar, not to any of the sub-folders. If most people are like me, they have multiple folders within folders. Being able to drag and drop a URL to any sub-folder of the heirarchy with a single click seems to me the ideal method of filing. This feature (lack of feature) is at the heart of my gripe(s).

I don't see any problem and hesitate calling the whole Bookmark filing system within Safari "poor" as you aptly did.
Ok, I guess we disagree. I still think it's poorly implemented compared to *my* ideal system.

bikeboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Safari is not meant to be a high-end browser. It gets the job done, of course, but power-user features are left to other browsers like Shiira, Opera, and Firefox.

Most users don't add bookmarks very often. Plenty do, of course -myself included- but even most of these don't seem to mind Safari's method. You can, of course, ask Apple to include it, but I wouldn't expect it to be added in. You might have more luck with the Shiira developers.
Actually I'm rather surprised to read most users don't add bookmarks very often. I always thought I was a fairly typical user. In any case thanks for the suggestion Millennium - I'll send the idea to Apple.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:18 PM

if you want to try something a bit different.

click over to http://www.simpy.com

it's web based bookmarks. check it out. it works with safari and a lot of others.

I've been trying it out and have been impressed with the bookmark searching and I enjoy having select bookmarks RSS enabled so I show them on my website.

sorry if it sounds like advertisement, I just think the service is pretty cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules