Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Overclocked my Powerbook to 500mhz!

Overclocked my Powerbook to 500mhz!
pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 12:01 PM

I have had my Powerbook G4/400 for over a year now and I thought it was time to try and upgrade it. I first looked into overclocking and by using the tips found on XLR8.com site, I was able to do it! I used the method of removing the tiny jumper and soldering the bridge. It is a challenge, and I didn't have alot of experience, but I was extrememly careful and very patient.

After screwing everything back together, I rebooted and voila! 500 MHZ! So far so good, doesn't seem to run too hot either. I'll see how it goes over the next few months.

I plan on upgrading the ram from 384 to 768 and possibly getting a 5400RPM 40 gig IBM HD. That should keep my Powerbook very useable!

bstieritz
May 18, 2003, 12:31 AM

Sounds great....I'm actually interestedto see how things are holding up from the overclocking. Any noticable changes (other than the increased peformance). Make sure and post again with updates.

macman247
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2003, 07:11 PM

Wow, someone is as crazy as I am! I overclocked my Lombard 20% faster well over a year ago and am still chugging along. I did notice it ran a few degrees hotter (via GaugePro).

I didn't have the best equipment at the time, but I was able to pull it off! If I would have sneezed or breathed too hard, I would have lost that tiny resistor forever. I used some poorly translated Japanese site. Where did you get your information? Has anyone tried to change the bus speed? Anywho, congrats!
( Last edited by macman247; May 31, 2003 at 03:00 PM. )

zeekyhbomb44875
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2003, 11:22 AM

thread ressurection maybe, but could anyone give me any links or info on OCin my G3 powerbook its a 233 mhz. soldering skills arent anything i need to worry about. i just wanna get a lil bit more performance outta this thing. is there also somewhere i could buy a faster CPU that will go right in? whats the difference between lombard and the other ones? i've seen them on ebay, and dunno what the diff is. thanks for the help!

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 12:57 PM

For excellent info on "old" Macs:

www.lowendmac.com

For all the info on overclocking you macs:

http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/mhz.html

Good Luck

Souljah
Sep 3, 2003, 10:26 AM

You can get 1gig ram chips for that baby now forget 512!
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 03:07 PM

I overclocked my G3/400 Pismo to 500 MHz about a year and a half ago. I haven't had any problems with it -- it works great!
iMac therefor iAm

zeekyhbomb44875
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2003, 03:48 PM

bus speed is in here. hope this is the right link and it helps lol http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/g3be1.html

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by siegzdad:
I overclocked my G3/400 Pismo to 500 MHz about a year and a half ago. I haven't had any problems with it -- it works great!
Hi!

Where did you find a good (english) "overclocking manual" for the Pismo?

Regards,
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

zeekyhbomb44875
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2003, 10:30 PM

think this might help a bit more... i got the wrong link up there hehe http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/maine.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules