Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New in 2005

New in 2005
Win2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 12:22 PM

I bought a copy of MacAddict magazine yesterday at B&N and the magazine says that there is 2 possible roads the PowerBook can go. One, is that the PB will go to G5 but at slower speeds than the PowerMac; or two, that Motorola will be coming out with a dual core G4 with an increase in speed.

What do you all think?
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

dede
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 12:26 PM

i think that the real possibilietes is the second.
I hope that this happend in January...

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 12:39 PM

I think this has been discussed thoroughly in other threads..

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 01:17 PM

I think Apple has been behind in the speed race way too long. PC laptops now have 256 MB VRAM and mega big bus speeds. Apple should finally try more powerful upgrades instead of keeping their priority on continually minor upgrades just to keep customers spending money. I won't buy the next revision even if it is a G5 because all the improvements will probably be a series of just more baby steps. If what we have now does the job fine I say let's band together and refuse to buy any more laptops with these pathetic micro improvements. Who's with me?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2004, 02:28 PM

Um... only a very small selection of pc laptops have 256mb of vram on 9800 chipsets. The r9800 mobile just came out like a month or 2 ago... I mean I mean I have a 128mb 9700 pro and that was the best thing you could get when I bought my PB this summer. Usually apple is pretty good about upgrades other than just the processor speed.

Anyway this has been talked about to death... go read the 5 other posts on this page about the subject...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Um... only a very small selection of pc laptops have 256mb of vram on 9800 chipsets. The r9800 mobile just came out like a month or 2 ago...
True. And this concerns high end laptops. However, the Powerbooks are the high end ones on the Apple side. But with the update cycles Apple has (6-9 months), they only can play catch up with the progress the other side makes.

And it is doubtful if the mobile 9800 chip can go into a slim Powerbook without "modifications". I even doubt if the weak G4 processor is able to let any difference (with respect to the 9700 chip) to become perceivable.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Win2Mac:
One, is that the PB will go to G5 but at slower speeds than the PowerMac;
This is a very real possibility, if IBM manages to produce a low voltage (and low power) G5 in time with a roadmap at hand, to ensure future updates.

or two, that Motorola will be coming out with a dual core G4 with an increase in speed.

What do you all think?
If they mean beginning 2005, then they are completely out of reality. The dual core e600 chips will go into sampling and testing in a year from now, so they won't ship before beginning 2006.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
I think Apple has been behind in the speed race way too long. PC laptops now have 256 MB VRAM and mega big bus speeds. Apple should finally try more powerful upgrades instead of keeping their priority on continually minor upgrades just to keep customers spending money. I won't buy the next revision even if it is a G5 because all the improvements will probably be a series of just more baby steps. If what we have now does the job fine I say let's band together and refuse to buy any more laptops with these pathetic micro improvements. Who's with me?

It's a shame, two years ago Apple laptops were the envy of the portable computing world. Not today. Having said that, if I was in the market for a laptop today, I would still buy Apple.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 01:04 PM

I can't blame all of it to Apple. They are doing excellent in other areas besides speed. Their new innovations are only followed sparsely in PC world, namely firewire 800, wide screen, light weight, thin size, to name a few. Motorola I feel is part to blame. Anyway, as before stated I will sooner buy a new HD than upgrade the whole laptop:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/...1,2169,00.html

I think that HD will be well worth the wait.

Forum Links
Forum Rules