Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook to K700i sms text

Powerbook to K700i sms text
Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 08:02 AM

Hello I just purchased a Sony Ericsson K700i, what a great phone to go with my 133 Powerbook 10.3.7.
My question is can I type a message on my powerbook and then Bluetooth it to my phone and then SMS that text? my Powerbook is not connected to the net and mobile phone calls from here (Lake Victoria Africa) are USD$7.00 a minute so I do not want to use my phone to connect to the net, I just hate trying to type messages on the phone, any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Aussiemac:
Hello I just purchased a Sony Ericsson K700i, what a great phone to go with my 133 Powerbook 10.3.7.
My question is can I type a message on my powerbook and then Bluetooth it to my phone and then SMS that text? my Powerbook is not connected to the net and mobile phone calls from here (Lake Victoria Africa) are USD$7.00 a minute so I do not want to use my phone to connect to the net, I just hate trying to type messages on the phone, any answers would be greatly appreciated.
I think you can do this natively in Address Book, try clicking a mobile phone number after you've paired the phone and powerbook.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 10:11 AM

You can do this with Address Book:

Open Address Book and click the Bluetooth icon in the toolbar (assuming you have already set up your K700i to pair with Mac). Once the B has turned blue to indicate that discovery has been successful, find the person you want to SMS in the Address Book and click the "mobile" title next to their mobile number. Select the option to "SMS message" from the pop up menu and you will be presented with a text input sheet to write your message in (with a very convenient characters left counter, too). When you have finished click send.

The only drawback to this technique is that the message does not get stored on the phone and, as a result, there is no obvious indication that it has been sent successfully. However, I've never had any trouble with it myself.

Aussiemac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
You can do this with Address Book:

Open Address Book and click the Bluetooth icon in the toolbar (assuming you have already set up your K700i to pair with Mac). Once the B has turned blue to indicate that discovery has been successful, find the person you want to SMS in the Address Book and click the "mobile" title next to their mobile number. Select the option to "SMS message" from the pop up menu and you will be presented with a text input sheet to write your message in (with a very convenient characters left counter, too). When you have finished click send.

The only drawback to this technique is that the message does not get stored on the phone and, as a result, there is no obvious indication that it has been sent successfully. However, I've never had any trouble with it myself.
Thanks mate that works great, very much appreciated
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Forum Links
Forum Rules