Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > QT Movies Won't Play in Windows

QT Movies Won't Play in Windows
JSterling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2002, 10:43 PM

I downloaded a trailer using QT Pro 5 and burned it onto a CD. It plays fine on my iBook but when I try and open in WIN 98, IE launches, takes me to an Apple site stating that I'm trying to visit a page that doesn't exist, and QT disappears. I downloaded QT 5 for WIN and it still doesn't work. I've tried it on several machines, resaved the file and burned a different CD -- nothin'. Suggestions?

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 07:19 AM

Some movies, especially the full size high-quality trailers require you to have QT5 Pro. I believe one of the Star Wars trailers was like that when originally posted. Perhaps that could be why it won't work...
iMac therefor iAm

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2002, 03:02 AM

That's because it uses Sorenson Video 3 which I think is only in QT 5 and up

jcarr
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by siegzdad:
<STRONG>Some movies, especially the full size high-quality trailers require you to have QT5 Pro. I believe one of the Star Wars trailers was like that when originally posted. Perhaps that could be why it won't work...</STRONG>
The trailers don't actually require that you have QuickTime Pro to view them, only to download them. Apple made some statement about this helping to defray the cost of the bandwidth. Once the file is downloaded, it can be viewed on a computer w/o QT Pro.

Make sure that the Windoze PeeCee has the most recent version of QT Pro, and that the file has the appropriate suffix (i.e. .mov) so that Windoze will know what to do with it.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

JSterling  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by siegzdad:
<STRONG>Some movies, especially the full size high-quality trailers require you to have QT5 Pro. I believe one of the Star Wars trailers was like that when originally posted. Perhaps that could be why it won't work...</STRONG>
You are correct. I saved the medium size and it plays fine in Windows and QT5. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules