Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > AppleTalk..Filesharing

AppleTalk..Filesharing
George Orville
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2002, 02:11 PM

Here is my problem.......I want to use file sharing between my 7300 & 6116 computor..... The 7300 is no problem because it has a Ethernet RJ45 port....... The 6116 has to have a AAUI to 10Base-T adapter ...and of course a Category 5 Ethernet crossover cable.......(At least that is what I was told on a previous post)....I was told go to the Appletalk control panel and select Ethernet or Ethernet built-in, telling the computer to look for the network through the Ethernet port.......at the Connect via I only have a choice of...
�Printer port
�Modem port
�AOL Link Enhanced

Is this because the crossover cable & (AAUI to 10Base-T adapter) is not attached to the two computors ??????

or do I have another problem ????

bigbiker
p/s....I posted on other forums & I'm getting six different answers.....
bigbiker

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 02:20 PM

Is yur ethernet driver enabled?

George Orville  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by jay999:
<STRONG>Is yur ethernet driver enabled?</STRONG>
Everything that has Ethernet in its title is enabled in the extension folder and the extension Mgr...........

bigbiker
bigbiker

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 11:58 AM

I had this happen on an 8100, and after a restart when the other computer was on, allowed the computer to recognize the ethernet connection. It seemed like it was just not recognizing it without a signal.

Most adapters (external ones) like your aaui-&gt;rj45 have a signal light that lets you know its active and has power. If the lights are not on, then its the adapter, and power to the adapter or motherboard ethernet that's bad.

If you startup the 7300 and *then* start the older machine up, watch the lights on the adapter and see if they light up.

If not, which version of the OS do you have on each? I would next suggest installing the OS again. Other than that the last option is to switch cables (sounds like you are confident that it *is* a crossover cable. If it isn't a true crossover then you'll never get a connection. Did the packaging you got the cable from clearly say 'crossover'?

George Orville  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2002, 02:12 AM

Bluedog,
Both of my computors are running 8.6....I was advised by a few people on other forums that I need a CAT5 Crossover cable and 10BT AAUI Transciever (AAUI-to-10BaseT Adapter) ......I have not purchased the hardware yet......But I finally got AppleTalk and File Sharing setup the way I was told on the 7300..But on the 6116 I think I have to have the cable and adapter connected, because when I try to select Ethernet in the AppleTalk control panel, I get the following dialog...............

"An error ocurred attempting to use Ethernet... Make sur your Network connections are correct "

I finally got it to go this far, because since my original post I enabled a few more extensions........

My next step is to go out and buy the hardware ..........

bigbiker
bigbiker

Forum Links
Forum Rules