Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Alfa 159

Alfa 159
Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 11:53 AM

I am going to buy this, because BMW 3 are a dime a dozen and it also looks 1 million times better than any of the competition

YouTube - Alfa Romeo 159 promotional video

Demo coming at the end of the month, the dealer said he will call as soon as it comes, I can't wait

I like the 2.4 diesel Automatic

This Alfa looks reliable, judging on what owners are saying on the net

Sorry Alfa Romeo is not Avalible in the USA until 2009

Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah, Diesel is awesome. Rattling and banging around, belching soot, no speed off the line. And that is when you can get the thing started in the winter, waiting for the glow plugs to warm up. Or find fuel for it!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 12:42 PM

Methinks you haven't driven a diesel in a long time. Diesels have come a long way – ask anyone in western Europe.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 12:51 PM

The Alfa 159 doesn't compare to the Beemer 3 series in any way.

This review sums it up http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...677068,00.html

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Yeah, Diesel is awesome. Rattling and banging around, belching soot, no speed off the line. And that is when you can get the thing started in the winter, waiting for the glow plugs to warm up. Or find fuel for it!
Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Dec 22, 2006, 01:12 PM

A diesel sports car is not equal to a diesel truck.

The torque is flat-out amazing.

US diesels are unfortunately tied to economy VWs and the like which is sad because there are a number of power plants that are spectacular for performance.

Audi R10 anyone?

Anyhow, I look forward to its return. I always wanted a MIlano (155 I think). My dad had a spider and a GTV ('74).

I'd buy a 159 on coolness (assuming it isn't built like those spiders or GTVs ), not because it is better than an M3. That is what an RS4 is for. The 159 is a wonderful design.

T
( Last edited by :dragonflypro:; Dec 22, 2006 at 01:21 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2006, 01:53 PM

Those are sexy! Bring it to America Alfa!

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2006, 02:12 PM

Looks like you haven't driven a modern diesel ever. Unless it's really, really cold, the warm-up time is not noticeable. A friend of mine drives a C320 CDI station wagon and the engine is awesome. It has about the same torque as the 5l 8 cylinder engine. The rattling you talk of is also a thing of the past.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 03:09 PM

Actually, ODDLY ENOUGH, I saw a brand new 159 driving around in downtown milwaukee the other night. I did a double take. It's pretty... not sure why it's here....but it is a flat out ugly duckling compared to this:

Aussiemac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Actually, ODDLY ENOUGH, I saw a brand new 159 driving around in downtown milwaukee the other night. I did a double take. It's pretty... not sure why it's here....but it is a flat out ugly duckling compared to this:

Fair call, but there is a small price difference,

The BMW fans should check this movie out, it is in German but wait for the ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zON4bWsl2Ek
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Aussiemac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
The Alfa 159 doesn't compare to the Beemer 3 series in any way.

This review sums it up Alfa Romeo 159 - New Car Reviews - Times Online
Yes I agree with you that in some respects the BMW 3 is better, but a car is also about how you feel when you drive it, every time I turn around I see a beema, I do not want to follow the crowd, I want to be different, and when you take everything into account, the beema is a touch sharper to drive, but it looks like a beige box & the Alfa looks like a new iMac
Aussiemac

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Looks like you haven't driven a modern diesel ever. Unless it's really, really cold, the warm-up time is not noticeable. A friend of mine drives a C320 CDI station wagon and the engine is awesome. It has about the same torque as the 5l 8 cylinder engine. The rattling you talk of is also a thing of the past.
Maybe a $50,000 M-B, but drive a new Jetta TDI and it's exactly as he described.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 05:17 PM

Yeah, Diesel is awesome. Rattling and banging around, belching soot, no speed off the line.
No speed off the line? You've really no idea what you're talking about.

The only car I've ever pulled a wheelie in was a diesel. Yes, you read that right - a wheelie. In a car.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 05:19 PM

A diesel sports car is not equal to a diesel truck.
Almost equal.
Diesels have come a long way – ask anyone in western Europe.
Why would I do that?
C320 CDI station wagon and the engine is awesome
A what?! No trust fund here.
Goldfinger, your comment is too stoopid to even comment on.
I test drove a VW New Beetle, gasoline. The dealer was trying to get rid of a Diesel. Brand new, February, New England. Took three minutes to start. Three minutes. Sounded like a 12 gauge shot gun at a trap shoot contest. I know that there is a Diesel fuel station eight miles from here. No freakin way. And it isn't Diesel in the winter anyway, it is cut hard with Kerosene. Smoke, noise, expense, inconvenience. What a deal!

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No speed off the line? You've really no idea what you're talking about.

The only car I've ever pulled a wheelie in was a diesel. Yes, you read that right - a wheelie. In a car.
Great, what other arguments do you have? Tell me why I should buy a diesel.

nexus5.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
Great, what other arguments do you have? Tell me why I should buy a diesel.
Torque.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2006, 05:47 PM

Diesels can pull wheelie.... they are incredibly torquey. They get good gas mileage. They are a good choice. Who cares how smooth they are.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 05:57 PM

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 05:58 PM

Almost equal.
Why would I do that?

BS. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Drive any BMW, Mercedes or Audi Diesel and prepare to be blown away. As it stands, you're making a fool out of yourself.

Having said that, diesel fuel in North America is nowhere near the quality of diesel fuel in Europe - it's a lot dirtier for starters.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 06:11 PM

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 06:15 PM

2007 Camaro (I hope.) Hot damn I love what Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are doing. The Mustang, Challenger, and Camaros are just badass! Unfortunately, I think Chevy is going to screw up the Camaro again and use one of the stupid designs that look like a 1978 Block 500.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 06:17 PM

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 06:24 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 06:36 PM

Aussiemac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

2007 Camaro (I hope.) Hot damn I love what Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are doing. The Mustang, Challenger, and Camaros are just badass! Unfortunately, I think Chevy is going to screw up the Camaro again and use one of the stupid designs that look like a 1978 Block 500.
Has this car got a 3 inch fuel delivery line, this car looks thirsty, I suppose if you have money to burn then thats ok.
Aussiemac

Aussiemac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 05:03 AM

Almost equal.
Why would I do that?
A what?! No trust fund here.
I test drove a VW New Beetle, gasoline. The dealer was trying to get rid of a Diesel. Brand new, February, New England. Took three minutes to start. Three minutes. Sounded like a 12 gauge shot gun at a trap shoot contest. I know that there is a Diesel fuel station eight miles from here. No freakin way. And it isn't Diesel in the winter anyway, it is cut hard with Kerosene. Smoke, noise, expense, inconvenience. What a deal!
Diesel in Australia is clean, & I have no snow were I live, here are a few facts

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4-Litre Diesel
Engine: 2387cc in line 5 cylinder, producing 200bhp at 4,000rpm and 295lb/ft of torque at 2,000rpm
Transmission: Driving the front wheels through six-speed manual gearbox
Perfromance: Top speed 142mph, 0-62mph in 8.4sec
Economy: 41.5mpg combined
CO2 emissions: 179g/km
Aussiemac

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 11:41 AM

Alfa has always made gorgeous looking cars (and will look even better where the front No. plate is optional), however there is always a question about there reliability.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 12:34 PM

Their reliability.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Their reliability.
Which is horrid.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 04:21 PM

I'd by a 159 in a second, if I had the money... There are actually two 159s and a 156 sportwaggon parked on my street now -- my neighbours have good taste !

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 06:37 PM

I have a stationwagon 159 for 6 months and am very happy with it, it's very solidly built and goes really well. It doesn't rattle when cold and being euro 4 doesn't smoke at all, in fact the exhaust pipes are light grey on the inside.

At least in Europe cold weather is not really a problem as the diesel fuel sold in the winter is designed for it. Last year while at a skiing resort the temp dropped to -16°c overnight and the diesel car I had at the time started with no problems after only a couple of seconds of turning over.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 07:36 PM

I live in america, Diesels are mostly in trucks and semi's

american people dont know JACK about diesels in cars, we have the Jetta TDi and thats it...

I would LOVE to have one of the diesels that europe has... great gas milage, and DAMN torquey.

they dude who made the comment about the smell and soot is a moron... Diesels will be the future... BIO DIESEL!

Zach

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post

american people dont know JACK about diesels in cars, we have the Jetta TDi and thats it...

Zach
And expensive Mercedes'. It's kind of hard to make diesels in America that can run in all 50 states with our strict regulations in places like California.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
And expensive Mercedes'. It's kind of hard to make diesels in America that can run in all 50 states with our strict regulations in places like California.
I don't think that this is the problem, the problem is just that there isn't the demand for the models. Maybe it will change with time. In most countries in Europe diesel fuel costs less than petrol (10% - 30% last time I looked, UK excepted ) and so the extra costs involved in buying the car are recovered relatively quickly.

If you buy an average 2000cc petrol salone here it will have around 160 - 180hp, An equivalent turbo diesel version of the same car would have around 150 . 170 hp but double the torque which makes it faster in everyday driving and easier to drive. On top of this the diesel consumes a good deal less fuel (which as I said before also costs less).

They are just as easy to start, little noisier and so it's a no contest really. Even sporting coupes come with diesel engines here now.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 08:22 AM

hahaha, man you have no clue about diesels, and not much more about cars...

Yesterday, my brother picked me up on the airport on his new Audi quatro Avant 3.0TDi (V6, 204 bhp)

On third gear we was driving at 135 km/h, there were still 3 gears left (6 speed). Some statcs

3.0 TDI V6 diesel: 0-60 6.9 seconds; top speed 235km/h; 7.5 l/100km (37.7mpg) combined; CO2 203g/km. EU4.

This is a quatro.

Alfas are among some of the best cars in Europe right now, fighting with German autos for the high premium market. In my opinion they beat BMW 3 series (I don't like rear traction, sorry), their JTD engines are solid stuff.

They are way better looking. Good choice

"Sherman Homan" tells why should he ask about those european diesels....I can undestand why, I lived in the States since 97 to 05 and diesels are not popular there at all. Diesels are a european thing. Something to be proud of really, they are in so many regards so much better than a gas engine.... 6.9 sec 0-60, in a car that can do 36 miles/gallon...

My preference about diesel engines: TDi (VW, audis, seats, etc), HDi diesel (citroen, Peugeot), JTD (Alfas, Fiat), DCi (Renault/Nissan)

Of course, Mercedes and BMWs must have very god diesel engines too, but never used them...

European manufacturers sell these diesel engined cars as high premium, even with their best gas engines.

The bigger the car is, the most appropiate the diesel engine gets. This is one of the reason I cannot understand why americans don't consider them.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2006, 08:44 AM

Which is horrid.
You're living in the land of cliches. Jags have bad electrics, Alfas are unreliable. That's simply not true anymore.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 09:28 AM

Italian car? I think not. I'd rather buy french ot german.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2006, 09:54 AM

You wouldn't buy a car just because it is Italian? Why? Alfas, just as an example, are as reliable and well build as their German counterparts. Choose the car by what works for you, not by nationality.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 24, 2006, 12:48 PM

I wouldn't buy an italian or a german car for a daily. Parts are too much money.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 12:53 PM

I assume you're american. I do agree with you foreign cars parts there are expensive. Japanese cars too.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 24, 2006, 01:05 PM

Actually no. Parts for hondas and toyotas and subarus are peanuts in comparison to anything german or italian.

Case in point: I did the brakes in my wife's accord. I paid $26 for a pair of BRAND NEW rotors for it.

Rotors for almost any BMW will cost you over $200.

There is a massive difference in price between parts for anything german, and anything japanese. Plus... I hate to start a flame war.... but you really don't need parts for a japanese car very often. German and italian cars on the other hand....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cenutrio View Post
I assume you're american. I do agree with you foreign cars parts there are expensive. Japanese cars too.
Uh, no. The rear axle in our last Honda, a '94 Accord broke a few years ago. $90 for a brand new axle. Can't beat that in an Alfa!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 24, 2006, 02:40 PM

Um.... ... you have a rear axle in a fwd accord? I think you're thinking of an upper control arm or something.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 03:24 PM

Oh duh I was thinking of the Mustang.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2006, 07:14 PM

Here in Italy parts for Italian cars are cheap, I guess it depends where you are, transport costs and competition keep prices down where the sales volumes are high.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 07:45 PM

Alfas are unreliable...then again, so are alot of french/italian cars!!!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2006, 08:35 PM

That's hilarious, and even better is your lame attempt to "prove" it by talking about diesel Volkswagons in New England. Oh yeah, I'm sure it takes 3 minutes to warm up a diesel in "cold" New England. Such BS is incredible.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
You wouldn't buy a car just because it is Italian? Why? Alfas, just as an example, are as reliable and well build as their German counterparts. Choose the car by what works for you, not by nationality.
Japanese>American>Swedish>Spanish=French=German>UK >Italian=Korean>Russian=Chinese

From left to right, the best to worst. Italian cars are in the lowest category sold in the western world. They just suck, from design to safety.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2006, 07:21 AM

No it isn't. You have no idea what you're talking about.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

OreoCookie
Dec 25, 2006, 08:22 AM

Actually Mercedes and VW will release Diesel-powered cars which will comply with California's strict emission laws in 2007. BMW will follow suit in 2008.

It's not that hard if you really try.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules