Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can only see background on hdtv with MacBook using VGA help!

Can only see background on hdtv with MacBook using VGA help!
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2008, 12:49 PM

Hi All

Was hoping you could all help me!

I'm about 2 or 3 weeks into my MacBook life and I love every minute I get to spend with my Mac!

But I am struggling with finding a way to use my Mac with my Samsung 26" HDTV.

I have all the right cables and I am completely connected the only problem is my tv only shows my desktop background, it doesn't show the dock it doesn't show safari as it is now opened. It just looks like a background picture on a tele and it does nothing!

Is there a key I need to press to transfer my screen to my tv? Or something???

I'm completely lost, it looks like it should work but like I say all I see is the desktop background, no icons no dock no finder no nothing! nada! Please help!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2008, 01:03 PM

Hi Kenna

What you have experienced is normal - your Mac is extending your desktop to the HDTV, instead of mirroring window contents on both monitors.

To change your settings, open System Preferences > Display. You will see resolution, orientation (which one is to the left/right) and rotation options for both displays

If you don't want to mirror the displays, you can simply click and drag the window over to the external display.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks a lot Naphtali!

Does anyone know if I can use the Media Center on my HDTV and operate it via the apple remote?

If not does anyone know if I can do similar with quick time and know a way to full screen quick time without it going back to my laptop? Doesn't necessarily have to be filling the whole screen i'd settle for black edges with no toolbar hazard so to speak.

Thanks for the rapid response!

It looks amazing!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 10:34 PM

VGA?

You're not going to get HDTV resolution with that!

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2008, 01:57 PM

I have a Mac book Pro connected to my F81 Samsung 40" using the Apple supplied DVI to VGA connector and the VGA to the TV, the audio is a 3.5mm jack from the macbook Pro headphone jack to the 3.5mm inlet next to the VGA in on the TV (Mirroring is set to on).
The display drop down menu on the Macbook Pro says Samsung 1920 x 1080
Samsung technical service told me that DVI TO HDMI was not recommended to connect a computer & LCD TV together.
Samsung recommend VGA & he did say VGA will do 1920 X 1080
He also said the LCD would look great through a Macbook pro as it had a 256 video card.
Cheers
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2008, 02:03 PM

Forgot to mention that the resolution is AWESOME on my Samsung LA40F81BDX
I just wish I had a blue ray player in my Mac book Pro.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

ibook_steve
Jul 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

Why did Samsung tell to to not do DVI to HDMI? It's all digital. The only problem is you still need a second cable for audio. You'll get a better picture with HDMI.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules