Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > corrupted floppy discs

corrupted floppy discs
petlov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2002, 03:49 AM

Help!!! I need to retrieve some data/files on some floppy discs that've
been corrupted. Downloaded a Norton's Disc Doctor but it was no help.
Have since installed a new hard drive, but can't retrieve the info. so
badly needed. What can I do???
Oh, by the way, my system is a prized 'Performa 180'

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: petlov ]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 11:30 PM

Have you used these floppys in a drive in another computer at any point in time in the past?

If so, it might be possible that the corrpution is really a floppy drive with heads that were out of allignment and the data they wrote to the disks is alligned funny. Therefore a computer with a good floppy drive will not be able to read the data, or the disks for that matter. The only way to get to the data is to return to the culperate computer and get to it from there.

Other than that, assuming the floppys have not been in other computers, and Norton will do nothing for you, you are up a creek.

petlov  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2002, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by jeromep:
<STRONG>Have you used these floppys in a drive in another computer at any point in time in the past?

If so, it might be possible that the corrpution is really a floppy drive with heads that were out of allignment and the data they wrote to the disks is alligned funny. Therefore a computer with a good floppy drive will not be able to read the data, or the disks for that matter. The only way to get to the data is to return to the culperate computer and get to it from there.

Other than that, assuming the floppys have not been in other computers, and Norton will do nothing for you, you are up a creek.</STRONG>
In reply: No, I HAVEN'T used the floppys in ANY OTHER COMPUTER . . .
BEFORE the 'corruption'. I DID however try them in my Dad's 'performa' which had been upgraded and his couldn't read them either. I just put them
in . . . and the computer "refused" to read them. End of story.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2002, 05:13 AM

How old are these floppies? Age and being stored for a great deal of time may have some effect here.

George Orville
Forum Regular
May 25, 2002, 03:31 AM

Have you tried other Utilities such as .............Disk First Aid, Norton, DiskWarrior.........Press command+option prior to insertion of the floppy in order to rebuild it's desktop......

bigbiker
bigbiker

Forum Links
Forum Rules