Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > anyone upgrade PB 15 Aluminum's HDD?

anyone upgrade PB 15 Aluminum's HDD?
phiber_optik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 07:52 PM

I just bought a new PB 15 AL yesterday. I also purchased Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM hdd. I noted that the manual does not cover installation guide on how to perform hdd upgrade for the AL version unlike the Ti. I googled for any guide that pertains to the HDD installation guide for the AL version but to no success. I always found the Ti version guides. Although i found the Al's take-apart guide from the following website: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/P....html#storytop
, it did not outline the steps to specifically upgrade the hard drive.

I am wondering if anyone has upgraded the storage device yourself. I went to apple store today and they said they would not do the upgrade for me, called CompUSA and they told me it costs 140 bucks to do that for me which i think is prohibitively expensive. For an extra 50 bucks i can get myself another of the same HDD.

Any suggestions?

sincerely,
yoha

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 11:27 PM

Apple did not make the HD easy to upgrade. Unless you are comforable taking the unit apart, I'd suggest having a pro do it. One wrong move and you could fry your machine.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 02:32 PM

Also, as of the Aluminums the hard drive is not a customer serviceable part. I believe that this means that it would void your warranty. I work in an Apple-certified tech shop so I think I'm an exception.

I would like to put a new drive in my 15" PB, even it was just a 5400... but I'd love a nice 8 meg cache
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

bighead
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 04:16 PM

Have an Apple-certified shop do the upgrade for you. I'm certified for the work, but 15" AlBooks are just annoying to take apart. They're much better machines than the TiBooks, but for simple things like replacing HDs and optical drives, they're a biatch.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

kastegir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 04:37 PM

I put a 60GB 78MB cache 200rpm (Hitachi, VERY fast) drive in my TiBook myself, but I'm pulling it out and having a service shop put it into my AlBook. I took a look at the install guide and it's a bear. Besides, I don't want to void the warranty...

It made a HUGE difference over the stock 4200rpm drive. The 5400rpm Hitachi is also a good choice, and you can get it in 80GB size...

sinebubble
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 07:50 PM

I'm about to put that very drive into my 15" tonight. Wish me luck! I do have the G4 PB service manual, luckily.
Brian

MacBookPro3,1

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 09:49 PM

you'll need the apple techs to do it, if not you'll void your warranty.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Forum Links
Forum Rules