Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac power supply

iMac power supply
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 05:37 PM

yay mine died!!!! anyway... i got my imac a year ago the first of May so of course right after my warranty expires my power supply fails (or thats what i think it is) it just shuts off randomly

anyway, how much is this gonna cost me and are there any alternatives?

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 10:47 AM

wow thanks for the help guys

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by markb8705
wow thanks for the help guys
Could be the power supply you should be able to get one from Apple, but it may be worth getting the whole machine checked especially if under warranty before forking out any money.
Not a techie but trying to be helpful by stating the obvious... its the english way

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2006, 01:30 PM

Firstly, you sure didn't wait long to get ticked that nobody answered your question. Sometimes things work out that way.

Second, talk to Apple. They often work with customers when a failure happens right after the warranty expires.

Don't expect to find a third-party power supply like you could for a PC. Apple is the only source for new iMac power supplies.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 06:03 PM

aight, ill def call them ASAP

jwoods
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 11:46 PM

Yeah call Apple and see what the can do for you.

As to your second post....

You waited all of 17 hours and 10 minutes for an answer before firing off a smart reply.

First thing you need to realize....we are not PAID to help you. We DON'T have to help you.

Best part: Ask a question that can wait a couple of days, and you will probably get an answer, or some help to point you towards the answer. Sometimes things will be answered within minutes, other times it may take days. (Sometimes, you may never get a reply).

Nature of the beast. However, I politely suggest you have more paitence when asking people you do not know, who are not paid to help you, to help you in the future.

Thanks.

synax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 02:38 AM

First: definately call apple.
Second: You might want to hop onto the apple support forums and do a search there. I have found a lot of answers to past issues there.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 07:07 PM

j woods, stfu

jwoods
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 11:55 PM

Ok, Mark.

So, you are not only an impatient ass, but rude. Anything else you wish to demand of anyone today?
( Last edited by jwoods; May 22, 2006 at 12:01 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by markb8705
j woods, stfu
That behavior is inappropriate and unacceptable. Further outbursts can lead to your being banned. J woods was right in that you were apparently expecting a lot of people to drop everything and answer your question-much like what I said in my response. Calm down and don't take the Internet personally. Do call Apple and see what they can do for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules