Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook and Amazon.com... When?

MacBook and Amazon.com... When? (Page 3)
spacecataz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 10:01 AM

Ugh, I am getting so tired of waiting. Especially after hearing that people have cancelled and reordered with Amazon Prime one day shipping in the past couple of days and are now getting their orders shipped almost immediately. I changed my shipping to one day shipping through Amazon Prime on May 24 (originally ordered on May 17) and am still showing a ship date of July 25. I ordered the low end 1.83 model. This seems like an incredibly long time to wait for a product...

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by seek
Ugh, I am getting so tired of waiting. Especially after hearing that people have cancelled and reordered with Amazon Prime one day shipping in the past couple of days and are now getting their orders shipped almost immediately. I changed my shipping to one day shipping through Amazon Prime on May 24 (originally ordered on May 17) and am still showing a ship date of July 25. I ordered the low end 1.83 model. This seems like an incredibly long time to wait for a product...
Well you should be getting a shipping notice within a week. However if you want to be ballsy either cancel your order or order another one using Amazon Prime. I originally ordered mine, signed up for Prime and then changed my shipping option. Strangely it was charging me for shipping with Prime So I canceled my order and started from scratch...got a shipping notice within 24 hours.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 01:14 PM

Now J & R is "temporarily out of stock" after you click on their "In stock with free shipping" link. Bastards!!!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 03:31 PM

FWIW, I placed an order for the 1.83 on Amazon at 11PM last night and I just got notification that it shipped.

flukewurm
Jun 2, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by aristobrat
FWIW, I placed an order for the 1.83 on Amazon at 11PM last night and I just got notification that it shipped.
... seriously?

bvz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 04:36 PM

hmmm. Mine is still sitting on shipping soon. And my credit card has not been charged even though I recieved that automated call from my bank asking about the $1300 charge.

Ok. Ok... get a life here. Gotta get a life...

sbsmac
Jun 2, 2006, 05:11 PM

If it makes any of you feel better, my MacBook's right speaker failed and I'm sending it back to Amazon for a replacement. Hopefully, the return process is as painless as people have said in the past.

spacecataz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sardines
If it makes any of you feel better, my MacBook's right speaker failed and I'm sending it back to Amazon for a replacement. Hopefully, the return process is as painless as people have said in the past.

Why should that make us feel any better? You have just added to the potential of a machine that could have gone to me now going to you...

(kinda, maybe, a little...)

bvz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 07:42 PM

Ok, it shipped. Should be here Monday. Thanks again for the tip mathew_m

bvz

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 09:08 PM

Ordered May 30th, shipped yesterday and received today. I missed the UPS guy this afternoon but was able to pick it up at the UPS center. It's lovely and I'm typing this message on it right now. For all you still waiting, be patient. You will get yours soon enough. It's worth the wait.
( Last edited by kikkoman; Jun 2, 2006 at 09:32 PM. )

mwoods1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 09:23 PM

I ordered a base model last friday but canceled that order and placed one for a 2.0 monday with Prime one-day shipping. They changed the estimated shipping date to today this morning and now its 6:30pm with no updates . I'm sad, haha

edolecki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 03:23 PM

I must have lucked out.

I placed an order this morning for a black MacBook with 1-day delivery and received an email with an estimated delivery of tomorrow. Was that a fluke (a good one)?

spacecataz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 05:53 PM

i have emailed amazon a few times now to question why people who ordered a few days ago have already received their order while others of us who ordered two or more weeks ago have not. their response is that i am confused and that they have not started shipping this laptop yet. they also have changed the date they expect to get the laptops in. originally, i was told that they would receive their shipment on june 15. the last email i received states june 19.

it is odd, normally i wouldn't mind waiting. however, amazon's poor policies and customer service have rubbed me the wrong way. this is no way to encourage customer loyalty. i am considering cancelling my order and waiting for a deal somewhere else.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 07:08 PM

The blackbook is in stock... It is not the case of the white ones... Still waiting...

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 07:25 PM

the blackbook IS in stock, but you are ordering from jandr.com, NOT amazon.com, so you are not eligible for the $100 rebate.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

mwoods1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 08:20 PM

Sweet, my 2.0 whitebook has shipped, I'll have to sometime tommorow. No work for me tommorow, yay. Now if only my car parts would come today so i can install those while waiting...

vandelay
Jun 5, 2006, 09:10 PM

About the rebate, am i the only one having problems with the Amazon rebate page?

I keep getting the message: Your rebate is unavailable for submission at this time due to one
or more of the following reasons...

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 10:53 PM

vandelay, I had the same problem with a MacBook Pro update. When I emailed them, they said that they were aware of the issue and their developers were looking at it. It took them 2-3 days to get it working.

drbrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by vandelay
About the rebate, am i the only one having problems with the Amazon rebate page?

I keep getting the message: Your rebate is unavailable for submission at this time due to one
or more of the following reasons...
About the rebate, make sure you dont have a space at the end of your order number. Made it work for me!

vandelay
Jun 6, 2006, 07:30 AM

vandelay, I had the same problem with a MacBook Pro update. When I emailed them, they said that they were aware of the issue and their developers were looking at it. It took them 2-3 days to get it working.
Yeah, i now got the same e-mail.

vandelay
Jun 6, 2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ankit
About the rebate, make sure you dont have a space at the end of your order number. Made it work for me!
No, that's not it.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by vandelay
No, that's not it.

BEWARE OF AMAZON REBATES

We ordered a second Black MacBook after calling and verifying we could get the rebate on the 2nd order, BEFORE placing the 2nd order.
After applying for the rebate online with the order number, it was denied; after an hour on the phone (make sure to call daytime weekdays only to get a north American call center for any help) we were OK'd with an override only to receive a subsequent denial emall from Amazon later in the day (Hey left hand, this is right hand....Do you know what we're doing? I don't). It was not stated anywhere initially for 1 to a Household (Amazon also confirmed this) but promptly updated their website. (I have before and after screen prints to substantiate) Now they finally conceded OK, but I'll wait and see or file a credit card dispute.
Rebates are not worth the aggrevation and 3 months wait.
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jun 6, 2006 at 03:05 PM. )

flukewurm
Jun 6, 2006, 01:29 PM

f0rk amazon. im going today to pickup my macbook from the apple store in nashville. with the edu discount and their back to school promotion it should come out to about the same $$. seee yaaa. wouldnt wanna beee yaaa.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by flukewurm
f0rk amazon. im going today to pickup my macbook from the apple store in nashville. with the edu discount and their back to school promotion it should come out to about the same $$. seee yaaa. wouldnt wanna beee yaaa.
but for people who already have an ipod, it isn't a great deal. And if you're considering ebaying the ipod, even new sealed-in-box ipods are going for very low prices. Figure in ebay and paypal fees, and then you might be worse off.

also figure it this way:

Apple store (even with edu) - $1400 + $100 (tax on macbook) + $180 (minimum for ipod) + $10 (tax for ipod) = Roughly $1690 out of pocket while waiting for $180 rebate

Amazon.com - $1500 + free shipping = $1500 out of pocket while waiting for a $100 rebate
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
BEWARE OF AMAZON REBATES
It was not stated anywhere initially for 1 to a Household (Amazon also confirmed this) but promptly updated their website. (I have before and after screen prints to substantiate) Now they finally conceded OK, but I'll wait and see or file a credit card dispute.
I'm wondering about this stipulation myself. If you bought one MacBook during the last rebate period (requiring a purchase by 5/30/06) and another one during the next period (requiring purchase by 6/20/06) would the "one per household" thing be a problem? What if the two models of MacBook were different (e.g. one white and one black)? I bought one on behalf of my sister and now I'm sort of thinking of getting one for myself, but if I can't get the rebate it would affect my decision.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 05:57 PM

Ordered BlackBook on 5/24 from Amazon choosing Super Saver Shipping (the freebie).

Applied $100 in Amazon certificates toward cost.

[EDIT] The original Amazon estimated shipping date was August 1-2. Talk about SWAGing it! [/EDIT]

It shipped today from Lexington, KY (not far from Columbus) with an anticipated delivery date of 6/8.

Received my BlackBook at 1:00pm today, 6/8.

WOW!
( Last edited by msuper69; Jun 8, 2006 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add original shipping date estimate)

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I'm wondering about this stipulation myself. If you bought one MacBook during the last rebate period (requiring a purchase by 5/30/06) and another one during the next period (requiring purchase by 6/20/06) would the "one per household" thing be a problem? What if the two models of MacBook were different (e.g. one white and one black)? I bought one on behalf of my sister and now I'm sort of thinking of getting one for myself, but if I can't get the rebate it would affect my decision.
I learned the key is different house hold address and different email address.

A son or daughter could buy on your credit card (with permission of course) and ship to another address than the original order.

YMMV

If you get a ruling opinion, have it emailed to you to back up a possible later rejection. Even then, a supervisor may over rule a customer service phone person. All in all, go to an Apple Store, if geographically possible for better service, should an issue arise. Not worth $100 and 3 month wait and phone conflicts. Removes some of the joy of the computer.

flukewurm
Jun 6, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
but for people who already have an ipod, it isn't a great deal. And if you're considering ebaying the ipod, even new sealed-in-box ipods are going for very low prices. Figure in ebay and paypal fees, and then you might be worse off.
UUUGH>. yeah... im dumb. i thought the rebate was either for the ipod OR $180 cash back.. DUM DUM DUM DUM. oh well. back to square 1.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 08:40 PM

Canceled my order, didn't really want the computer anyway..

mwoods1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 12:04 AM

Got my white 2.0 today around 2pm today, I've been useing it pretty much non-stop since, this computer is so awesome. Now I just need to get a sleeve and more ram and I will be a happy camper.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 03:40 AM

I got the more RAM, still need a sleeve. I'm thinking that Booq one. Its pretty pricey though for some cloth.

This is a great little machine, and very fast. I'm extremely happy with it. I've heard the moo, and it can be annoying, but I'm sure its fixable. Its just the fan coming on and then going off very quickly.

spacecataz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:56 AM

As a bit of an experiment, I ordered a second 1.83 laptop yesterday. I ordered the first on May 24 and received a ship date of July 25. The new order I placed yesterday says that it will ship next week. I didn't cancel my first order until I called Amazon yesterday to question why the order I placed almost three weeks says that it will ship more than a month after the order i placed yesterday.

The official Amazon response was that they really weren't sure but that the order might have gotten stuck in the shipping process. There wasn't an explanation as to why orders might get "stuck". I recommended that they have someone look into that since it seems that a lot of people's orders have gotten "stuck" in the shipping process.

Overall, this has not been a good ordering experience. Yet, I am still ordering because it is such a good deal. This experience will make me reevaluate purchases where Amazon would have normally been my first stop.

mactest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

I just tried exactly what seek did, and he's right.

I first placed my order for a MacBook 2.0ghz White this Saturday, June 3rd, and received a shipping estimate of August 4th.

Based on what seek posted, I threw another MacBook into my cart and checked out not 10 minutes ago...and lo and behold, the shipping estimate is tomorrow. Cancelled old order, crossing my fingers that it really does ship out tomorrow.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

As a bit of an experiment, I ordered a second 1.83 laptop yesterday. I ordered the first on May 24 and received a ship date of July 25. The new order I placed yesterday says that it will ship next week. I didn't cancel my first order until I called Amazon yesterday to question why the order I placed almost three weeks says that it will ship more than a month after the order i placed yesterday.

The official Amazon response was that they really weren't sure but that the order might have gotten stuck in the shipping process. There wasn't an explanation as to why orders might get "stuck". I recommended that they have someone look into that since it seems that a lot of people's orders have gotten "stuck" in the shipping process.

Overall, this has not been a good ordering experience. Yet, I am still ordering because it is such a good deal. This experience will make me reevaluate purchases where Amazon would have normally been my first stop.
Call customer service? at 800.201.7575 during M-F, 8-8pm to get a North American call center.
Ask them to upgrade to overnite shipping at no charge to you on the most distant ship date order, for the mis information you received.
Be aware unless your ship to address (Street name and zip code) is different on both orders, you will be unable to apply for a 2nd $100 rebate on your subsequent order. Been there, done to.
They now bury the disclosure, one to a household, on the rebate application page, not on the order page.
Good luck.

Better experience is the Apple Store. There's a reason Apple is opening so many new stores. I shudder when Best Buy begins selling MacBooks. Their sales people are rarely, if ever educated to the merits of a Mac. although, I must say, I occasionally encountered an employee there that was a Mac owner also.

YMMV

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Better experience is the Apple Store.
Maybe, but for a $175 difference on a $1000-class computer, I'll take Amazon. And I haven't had any problems with them at all, for the record.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 04:14 PM

You gotta ask yourself what your time is worth. Is $100 worth the aggro Vs. just going to the Apple store - or buying fromJ&R / waiting as well???

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2006, 05:30 PM

First of all, I have no Apple Store that I can go to, so we're talking about ordering online in either case. Secondly, I've already been through the rebate process with my iMac and it was the most painless rebate experience I've ever been through. About 2 minutes to fill out the online rebate form, and then you just have to wait for the check. I get paid fairly well, but $175 (actually closer to $200, since I have an Amazon visa) for 2 minutes of my time is worth it.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 05:58 PM

Sounds like you are in the minority iCruise. Others are talking a lot more than 2 minutes. You must be special. :-)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 06:03 PM

Alright, since Amazon won't ship me my laptop, I went ahead and placed another order. This time for the mid-range 2GHz white MacBook and 1 day shipping. Instead of a delivery estimate of Aug. 2 for my previous order, I now have an estimate of July 7-July 21. Hoping I'll have it closer to June 7, not July.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 06:06 PM

I've upgraded my shipping for the 1.83 GHz MacBook too. Same estimated delivery date as my new order.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Sounds like you are in the minority iCruise. Others are talking a lot more than 2 minutes. You must be special. :-)
I can only speak for myself. I ordered on the 18th and it arrived on the 30. It would have come sooner but it was Memorial Day weekend. Looking at the threads from people who ordered from the Apple Store, it doesn't seem like there was a huge difference in the amount of time involved. Perhaps now that has changed. I don't know. You don't have to be a smart-ass about it.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I can only speak for myself. I ordered on the 18th and it arrived on the 30. It would have come sooner but it was Memorial Day weekend. Looking at the threads from people who ordered from the Apple Store, it doesn't seem like there was a huge difference in the amount of time involved. Perhaps now that has changed. I don't know. You don't have to be a smart-ass about it.
Right. It would be pretty unheard of to be a smart-ass on this forum.

Seriously...It just seemed to me that there were more issues with Amazon - but glad you managed unhassled savings / had a good experience. I buy a ton of stuff from Jeff Bezos as well.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 10:15 PM

Finally received my Macbook from Amazon.

So far excellent. Beautiful machine (base model) and I believe the best deal at $999. Stick with Amazon, it's worth it.

So far only a miniscule whine (it's a machine so it makes noise), perfect screen and just really nice all around. Apple really got it right with the design of this model.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2006, 01:06 PM

Hmm... I guess I'm the only one still waiting for my MacBook from Amazon.

maggknot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 02:41 PM

Does Amazon ship apple's box or Amazon's box? Thanks

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2006, 03:00 PM

The MB and MBP I received from Amazon each came in a rather large Amazon box that contained Apple's shipping box (surrounded by some of those air pillow things).

maggknot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 03:36 PM

The MB and MBP I received from Amazon each came in a rather large Amazon box that contained Apple's shipping box (surrounded by some of those air pillow things).

Thanks aristobrat.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 14, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Hmm... I guess I'm the only one still waiting for my MacBook from Amazon.

There is an upside to waiting and being patient.

Amazon's volume sales works favorably.

Between our 1st and 2nd MacBook orders were about 10 days from receiving both.
The build dates ( 4H19 and 4H20) were a week apart.
Those receiving theirs now are at least 2 or more weeks later.
Any subtle, undocumented production changes/improvements are being implemented.( ie: removing the overlooked plastic film possibly blocking cooling vents)

So patience is more than a virtue; it may mean a slightly newer healthier MacBook with less wrinkles.

Well worth waiting for...................

flukewurm
Jun 14, 2006, 01:16 PM

my debit card was rejected... so i had to change form of payment. probably delayed my order. in any case. UPS tracking says i will get it (low end macbook) today.

jemm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 06:41 AM

I ordered a MB 2.0Ghz white from amazon on the 9th of June and it arrived on the 13th. Lovely machine... no problems with mooing or heat.

Unfortunately the hard drive has died after 5 days. I am currently trying to get a replacement from Apple. JR / Amazon will not replace the HD itslef, I don't want to return the MB, lest I get back one with issues!

DJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules