Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > blinking question mark of horror!!!!

blinking question mark of horror!!!!
sproutsie
Jun 6, 2002, 09:48 PM

ok, here is my story...

I have a 7500 upgraded with a 500mghz G3 upgrade card, 300-something of ram, a USB PCI card, and OS 9.1

It has two hard drives, the 1 gb one that came with it when I got it and a new Seagate Barracuda, 9 gb.

I set up the new big drive to be the primary drive, stuck all of the software on it that was necessary, and then everything seemed fine, except my fricking modem, but it is all a moot point now because I get the blinking question mark of doom when I try to boot up. When I run it from a startup CD, my old 1 gig drive shows up, but the new one doesn't. I have had only partial luck initializing the old drive with drive setup, since it is not an Apple drive, but it doesn't matter since I don't have the original software. I am waiting for 8.5 to be sent to me so I can reinstall it, but other than that, I am sort of wondering what to do. I can't run the Hard Disk Speed Tools app I have because it no longer exists on my hard drives but only on my ti-book, and I can't use the startup CD I made with HDST on it because my 7500 CD drive doesn't recognize disks burned on my ti-book, apparently.

My plan goes something like this: when I get OS 8.5, take out the G3 processor card and put the old 6.0.4 one back in that the 7500 came with. Install OS 8.5 and then 8.6, and then OS 9, then reinstall the Sonnet software needed to run the new G3 upgrade card, install the card, and cross my fingers.

Is this a viable plan? Did I screw up the scsi chain somehow? Will my Barracuda ever work from a cold boot? I am sort of fuzzy on the terminating stuff, but I thought I did everything ok. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2002, 06:59 AM

Is there an OS installed on the 1GB harddrive? Do the two harddrives have unique SCSI-IDs?
Termination isn't hard, just terminate the very end of the SCSI-chain.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

sproutsie  (op)
Jun 7, 2002, 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, the 1 gig drive was going to be getting a new OS when I re-booted- I had wiped it because I wanted a clean start and the bigger drive was functioning great (or so I thought). Both drives have unique IDs, so that is not the problem- the 9 gig has 0, the 1 gig has 1, the CD drive is 3, etc.

About the termination- I am actually not certain if I did terminate it properly, simply because I am not sure how to do this. I guess I'll look around and see if I can find info on the net. One thing I am wondering about (which will display how totally ignorant I am about hardware)- the big pin connector has the last one connected to the 1 gig drive, but the other connector chain that goes into the back, with the 6 or 8 (?) holes has the last one going into the 9 gig. Does this matter?

I now feel like an idiot showing off my idiocy, but really, I just want this thing to work!

Thanks for the help...
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

xmishx
Jun 8, 2002, 11:42 AM

Go to the Seagate website and punch in the model number. They have great visual tech support and it shows you were to put the jumpers for various termination combinations. it is a very helpful site.

Good luck,

X

superlarry
Senior User
Jun 8, 2002, 11:51 AM

hmm.. you might have to change your 9-gig's SCSI ID from 0 to something else.. if it's like my last SCSI mac, a IIsi ;c), then the motherboard uses ID 0. although that should've been an issue before.. but it's worth a shot.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 01:04 PM

Hi sproutsie,
Did you change the scsi id's of your two hard drives? The reason I ask is that your internal drive isi usually 0 (the mac itself is id 7 by default). If you didn't, and you assigned the 9GB ID 0 as well, then that is a conflict. Another area that can cause conflict is the presence of two different drivers for your hard drivers (driver level conflict), as your HDD driver for each of your drives is competing for control (which also could explain what happens when you boot from a CD, Apple's driver knows how to control the original drive, but can't communicate with the 9GB and vice versa). Also, when checking your termination, make sure it is the last physical device in the chain, not the SCSI id # (remembering that your Apple internal drive is internallu terminated). Also, check your cables, sometimes a bad cable can cause havoc.
Good luck and let us know how it goes,
dave

sproutsie  (op)
Jun 9, 2002, 02:11 PM

Hi- thanks so much for all of the help. To answer a few questions- the drive that came with the 7500 is a Quantum, and its ID was set at 1 from the start, while the Seagate drive is set at 0- I can't even figure out how to change the ID on either, so I was thinking I am lucky they have different numbers. I think I may have figured some of the rest of the stuff out- but I am still waiting for OS 8.5, and then I guess I'll see what happens!

The way I have the scsi chain is with the 1 gig drive at the end. I am going to look at the Seagate site to see about jumpers- and then sit around until next week when I get the old OS....

Thanks again, and I'll keep y'all informed.
-H.S. Thompson

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 02:39 PM

great! Good luck... your findings will be helpful to everyone!
thanks
dave

buchrob
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2002, 12:38 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by sproutsie:
<strong>Hi- thanks so much for all of the help. To answer a few questions- the drive that came with the 7500 is a Quantum, and its ID was set at 1 from the start, while the Seagate drive is set at 0- I can't even figure out how to change the ID on either, so I was thinking I am lucky they have different numbers. I think I may have figured some of the rest of the stuff out- but I am still waiting for OS 8.5, and then I guess I'll see what happens!

The way I have the scsi chain is with the 1 gig drive at the end. I am going to look at the Seagate site to see about jumpers- and then sit around until next week when I get the old OS....

Thanks again, and I'll keep y'all informed.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Also check the drive start jumper setting. For the Seagate to boot the mac, it must spin up at power up. Fortunately, there are only 2 options: either the drive waits for the 'puter to boot before spinning up or vice-versa, which involves just swaping a single jumper connection.

sproutsie  (op)
Jun 11, 2002, 05:43 PM

Well, here is the update. I fiddled around with everything, checked the scsi stuff, and took a jumper off the Seagate that looked suspicious (it had to do with what Buchrob talks about, now that I think about it!), and when I restarted, voila- everything is fine!

But to be safe I am going to start from the ground up, reinstall the OS's and all that....at this point, I have nothing to lose, since I have all of the data I need backed up onto my foolproof external LaCie drive...

Thanks again, everyone- I am not sure what is going to happen next, but I'll prolly be back on here...
-H.S. Thompson

Forum Links
Forum Rules