Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > One nation? or many?

One nation? or many?
mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2002, 12:50 PM

OK, I don't know what I think about this, but what do you people think? Would it be better for the world if the US, China, and Russia all split up into smaller entities? Should we include India and Indonesia in the list?(no larger than France/Germany/UK/Italy, population-wise?)

Arguments for/against? I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

MarkT

(edited typo)

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: mrtaber ]
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

bobette
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by mrtaber:
<STRONG>OK, I don't know what I think about this, but what do you people think? Would it be better for the world if the US, China, and Russia all split up into smaller entities? Should we include India and Indonesia in the list?(no larger than France/Germany/UK/Italy, population-wise?)

Arguments for/against? I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

MarkT

(edited typo)

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: mrtaber ]</STRONG>
What?!? It's like thinking you can break up a house in a bunch of stray bricks, a loose bathtub, toilet hanging from a tree, and keep all those morsels functionning as they were before as a whole. Many territories (as a few american states) would become third world countries without the infrastructure a larger state offers.

Then again, some territories would be better off left alone, like Tibet, or Kashmir. You can't generalize something like that. It has to be considered on a one-on-one basis.

In many cases, just a bit of democracy would do fine...

Hail the King of the Rogue state of Vermont! haaarrrrr....

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by bobette:
<STRONG>

What?!? It's like thinking you can break up a house in a bunch of stray bricks, a loose bathtub, toilet hanging from a tree, and keep all those morsels functionning as they were before as a whole. Many territories (as a few american states) would become third world countries without the infrastructure a larger state offers.

Then again, some territories would be better off left alone, like Tibet, or Kashmir. You can't generalize something like that. It has to be considered on a one-on-one basis.

In many cases, just a bit of democracy would do fine...

Hail the King of the Rogue state of Vermont! haaarrrrr....

</STRONG>
And then you have places that WERE split that never should have been ....
(Korea)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mrtaber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2002, 01:19 PM

Good points. I was just thinking in terms of economic and military hegemony...and from the point of view of their neighbors (and, often, "victims").

MarkT

sproutsie
Feb 14, 2002, 01:36 PM

so are you suggesting that they need to be split up to limit their power? what about japan? even if you factor in their recent economic dive, they are still huge- geographical strength is, especially in this newest stage of capitalist expansion, not really an issue. actually, thinking backwards, great britain is pretty puny, too- they just expanded outward financially.

um...tangent....what was i thinking....oh, yes- um, i think that some places may be better off splitting, but if you look at the india-pakistan split, that caused untold death and destruction because of the way it was done. rarely do you have an easy way to split a territory- people whose parents may have come from one area may themselves now live somewhere else and still have ties with the original place- so citizenship and employment mobility are issues. nigeria is split (recently quite viciously) between various religions and major ethnic groups, but that doesn't mean that muslims all live in the north and christians or animists all live in the southeast and southwest- nigeria is a big bag of problems, but splitting it now into different countries is going to create some really nasty repercussions for christians employed and living in the north and muslims in the south....

my point isn't that these things aren't possible solutions to stratification within the state, but that it is not a simple geographic divide. and if you say that splitting up states for purposes of controlling hegemony, well, considering that most states in the west are increasingly exporting their manufacturing to the developing world, it won't have the same effect as it would have in the days before multi-national corporate power.

is that valid, or no?
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

mrtaber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2002, 02:33 PM

I was/am fishing for ideas...I was just sipping my first cup o'joe this morning, wondering how it would be. So far, as usual, my fellow 'NNers are bringing up good points.

And, as usual, reality is messy, resisting simple solutions...

MarkT

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2002, 02:37 PM

<STRONG>

MarkT </STRONG>

Reality is for those who can't face drugs!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

sproutsie
Feb 16, 2002, 06:21 PM

<STRONG>I was/am fishing for ideas...I was just sipping my first cup o'joe this morning, wondering how it would be. So far, as usual, my fellow 'NNers are bringing up good points.

MarkT </STRONG>
actually, i thought this was one of the only discussions that wasn't plugged up with ignorant crap yet. it doesn't look like it will be, either because it isn't sound-bite-ish enough. as in, "gore says terrorism is caused by poverty" to which i think: well, yeah- a person isn't angry for no reason, and this is prolly one of 'em. and the bulk of the responses i see say something to the effect that of course it isn't because bin laden is rich and just hates us. to which i think: wow, yer dum.

anyway, i think i have had enough of la lounge- intelligent conversation is sort of hit or miss here, and that's fine but what i have trouble with is what sometimes looks like deliberate, aggressive ignorance. there is enough of that in the real world without voluntarily subjecting oneself to it electronically.

-sprout
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

Forum Links
Forum Rules