Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Having issues with MB right out of the box!

Having issues with MB right out of the box!
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 10:25 PM

In case you missed my other thread, I just got a new (Refurb) MacBook. Right away I'm having a problem where it freezes and the message saying to restart the system by holding down the power button.

At first I thought it may just have become too warm as I was putting it through its paces. But even after letting it cool, it as still happened more the once and even after putting a cooling pad w/fans under it.

I've noticed that I do here a fast clicking sound each time it happens so I now suspect it's aHD issue.

I believe there's a way to look in the system logs to find a reason for crashes. Can anyone remind me what I do to see those? Also if anyone has any hypothesis of what it could be, please share.

As I got such a good deal of this, if it is the HD I might just replace it on my own. If it's something more severe, then AppleCare here I came (Whose knows I might get a new new system out of it)
iGeek

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 10:42 PM

Well you won't get a new system out of it, just whats wrong with it such as the logic board, etc.

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Well you won't get a new system out of it, just whats wrong with it such as the logic board, etc.
Well I'm under the impression this unit is FUBAR'd which means sending it in enough times to maybe warrent a replacement. (Keep in mind that someone probably already get get a new one after this unit because they had so many issues with it)

However, after sleeping on it (Not literally), I've decided to return it. I would rather get my money back, save up a little more, and buy a new unit after MacWorld, then deal with the hassle of sending this in, waiting, and possibly still not having it work properly.

Grant that I bought this just for MacWorld, I figure betweent he convention, and the Apple store just around the corner, I can keep my Mac And internet addiction withdrawl symptoms to a minimum
iGeek

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mac-at-kearsarge View Post
Well I'm under the impression this unit is FUBAR'd which means sending it in enough times to maybe warrent a replacement. (Keep in mind that someone probably already get get a new one after this unit because they had so many issues with it)

However, after sleeping on it (Not literally), I've decided to return it. I would rather get my money back, save up a little more, and buy a new unit after MacWorld, then deal with the hassle of sending this in, waiting, and possibly still not having it work properly.

Grant that I bought this just for MacWorld, I figure betweent he convention, and the Apple store just around the corner, I can keep my Mac And internet addiction withdrawl symptoms to a minimum
UPDATE: I found out that I can't do a quick return. However, I can do an exchange (I realize it'll be for another refurb), which I consider to be be much better then playing the repair game. So I'm happy.
iGeek

agalinfl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 06:14 PM

Sorry to hear that you couldn't just start over... Hope the new unit works out better...

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 08:43 PM

Final Update: Issue fully resolved:

After calling and agreeing to take an exchange, I was told that I'd be contacted by someone from apples sales to arrange the swap within 24 hrs..

As happy as I was knowing Apple was going to try to help me, I had become emotionally attached to this until, despite the frustration it was giving me. So I decided to see if I could figure out what the problem was. After watching it crash a few times, I noticed that the real issue seemed to be pointing to a problem with the RAM. Since my company has good deals on Notebook DDR2 I decided to buy 2 512 s(I was planning on doing this anyway, just not so soon).

After swapping the RAM around, allthe problems disappeared. I ran it through abattery of test and it passed. So I now have the Macbook I wanted! Yay!!!
iGeek

Forum Links
Forum Rules