Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RANT Cops are pricks

RANT Cops are pricks
Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2007, 12:52 PM

So Im driving into East Lansing yesterday.. cruising down grand river avenue.. it runs right thru MSU campus.. and I get stopped not once but 3 times in a 5 mile stretch for a loud exhaust.. Each time I had to get out and show the officer that the exhaust was new.. One wrote me a fix it ticket.. and told me that i needed to replace it.. Come on now.. shiny exhaust pipes underneath.. it is new.. So how come some cops have to be real pricks about things.. Post your bad experiences with the cops..

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 01:00 PM

So uh how loud is your exhaust?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 01:00 PM

Wow, if they are loud enough to get pulled over three times in five miles I guess I would have to agree with the cops. Get em fixed! I hate loud exhaust pipes.

Some might consider *you* the prick for having such a noisy machine on purpose.

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 01:05 PM

New does NOT imply correct, or properly working. It's a shame you have to resort to something like that to get attention.

Ham Sandwich
May 2, 2007, 01:06 PM

Hmmm...so you have new exhaust but it's loud?

Sounds like you're disturbing the peace and the noise is intentional. I applaud the police for telling you to knock it off. Now, if they would just do it more often to all the people that think I want to hear their subwoofers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 01:09 PM

I find it funny that a loud exhaust is ticket-able but groups of Harley riders can pollute the air with obnoxious exhaust sounds.

Either I can cut my exhaust off after the catalytic converter or Harley riders need to get a real f**kin muffler.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I find it funny that a loud exhaust is ticket-able but groups of Harley riders can pollute the air with obnoxious exhaust sounds.

Either I can cut my exhaust off after the catalytic converter or Harley riders need to get a real f**kin muffler.
All loud exhausts are annoying, no matter the vehicle.

Do any of you like getting your TV shows interrupted, or getting woke up at 3 am by rumbling/pops? No? I thought not.

Rumor
May 2, 2007, 01:19 PM

Not all cops are pricks. They are people just like everyone, trying to do a job. Which isn't a particularly easy job mind you.

So take a minute and think.

You were driving through a college area, with an extremely loud exhaust. Loud enough to be pulled over three times in five miles. Who is the real prick?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 01:20 PM

I get woken up ALLLL the time by motorcycles at 3AM.

Loud car exhaust cannot compete with straitpipes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 01:21 PM

The cops are doing the rest of us a favor.

Do you also have a "system" that rattles cars that are 50 feet away from you? With the windows down, no less...

sek929
Posting Junkie

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Not all cops are pricks. They are people just like everyone, trying to do a job. Which isn't a particularly easy job mind you.

So take a minute and think.

You were driving through a college area, with an extremely loud exhaust. Loud enough to be pulled over three times in five miles. Who is the real prick?

Usually if you are mad at a large group of people for being pricks, you might just want to look at yourself with the same lens.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster

This thread is positively brimming with potential.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I get woken up ALLLL the time by motorcycles at 3AM.
Same here with music from some people's cars. It happens to be some neighbors of mine that are about 20 houses down. Coincidentally (or maybe not so much), they have the exhaust problems as well, which is why I asked earlier.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM

Getting stopped 3 times, sounds like the cops are not being pricks but rather your exhaust IS too loud.
Michael

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 01:39 PM

I don't think this thread went the way the OP intended. And it is nice to see such mature opinions on here.

The area he was driving through is not the kind of place for a loud exhaust either. It is lined with shops on one side and the more tranquil part of Michigan State U. on the other. I'd hate to be walking the shops with my wife and kids, maybe stopping for an ice cream, or browsing the vinyl at FBC, and have some inconsiderate person destroy that pleasant experience with outrageously loud engine noise.

It is an ignorant person who thinks that just because his exhaust pipes are new, that they are legal.

EDIT: and Grand River does NOT run right through campus.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 01:48 PM

Could you get a ticket if you rolled down your window and just kept on yelling, maybe making your voice sound like a loud engine?

Just wondering...

Rumor
May 2, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Could you get a ticket if you rolled down your window and just kept on yelling, maybe making your voice sound like a loud engine?

Just wondering...
Some days I wonder if you forgot your meds...

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 01:58 PM

I am amazed that he has access to teh inratwebs where he is.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 2, 2007, 02:02 PM

I must know what kind of car he has. Please tell me it's a 4 cylinder and he expects to gain 20 horsepower from the exhaust.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 02:03 PM

I hate loud exhausts from any vehicle, but what annoys me the most are the $%#"%$# motorcycles. They are $%"%#"$"% noisy and it seems to be ok.

A car is not allowed to be as noisy as those #"$$%# motos. I'd like to see them banned from the streets. Especially the rice-rockets (light bodies, relatively powerful engines).

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2007, 02:11 PM

its a little 4 banger ford ranger.. I replaced the exhaust from the catalytic converter back.. new muffler tailpipe and everything.. The engine is just loud.. i got a fixit ticket.. I took it back to the sheriffs department and they said everything was fine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 2, 2007, 02:17 PM

Hahahahaha....ranger.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 02:18 PM

Some days I wonder if you forgot your meds...

Well, I do like those Fred Flinstone pills... Maybe I've ODed on them?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 02:20 PM

What you could do is secretly put ear plugs in all of the cops in the area, and hope that they don't notice.

bstone
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 03:05 PM

I agree that cops can be pricks. I was once off roading and a rock ruptured my muffler. It was loud but I as 50 miles from anything civilized, let alone a muffler shop. I got pulled over by Forest Service cops twice in a period of 30 minutes for a loud muffler. I got a written warning by the first and the second seemed upset I had it cause he said he wanted to write me a ticket.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 03:41 PM

I think this is a perfect thread to bring back 'Bubb Rubb' and 'Lil Sis': Woooooooo Wooooooooo

YouTube - Bubb Rubb and Lil' Sis
iGeek

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
its a little 4 banger ford ranger.. I replaced the exhaust from the catalytic converter back.. new muffler tailpipe and everything.. The engine is just loud.. i got a fixit ticket.. I took it back to the sheriffs department and they said everything was fine
I have a friend who has an older 4-cyl. Ranger and his exhaust is pretty quiet.

Why did you go to the sheriff's dept.? Did a county deputy write you the ticket? I have NEVER seen deputies in E. Lansing. And I have spent a LOT of time there. I only live 30 minutes away and it's the best close place to go clubbing. Now I go there a lot for shopping and a lazy afternoon "window shopping" with my wife.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 04:30 PM

A 4 banger Ranger shouldn't be that loud, you sure you didn't throw a valve or something?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 04:37 PM

I think that people in general are sometimes pricks. My experience with cops has never been negative.

It's their job to enforce noise ordinances. Are they supposed to magically know that you were just stopped for a loud muffler? Or is it that they had the audacity to actually try to enforce the law.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 04:46 PM

For the most part I've been pretty fortunate with cops. A few weeks ago I was on my way back from Iowa City at 1:30AM on a Sunday night doing 85 in a 70. He basically checked to make sure I wasn't drunk and sent me on my way. We had a nice chat about ISU, turns out he's a fan.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 04:48 PM

So we all agree cops are pricks then?

Cool, mods can lock now.

Rumor
May 2, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DakarÊ’ View Post

Cool, mods can lock now.
I've always wondered about the hilarity and hijinks that would ensue if you were ever granted mod status.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 04:57 PM

I have a feeling I'd be banned a lot.

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 04:57 PM

Cool, mods can lock now.
No, I think YOU'RE a prick. Just incase any of my local pigs are reading this.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 04:58 PM

I have a bad feeling I'd either tone it way down, or use it so conscientiously as to be practically worthless.

One thing is certain, though, I'd challenge Demonhood for most entertaining locks.

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 04:58 PM

I've always wondered about the hilarity and hijinks that would ensue if you were ever granted mod status.
I think this is actually a VERY good idea. But I am afraid the power would go to his head and he's ban me for calling him a prick.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
No, I think YOU'RE a prick.
How does it feel to be right for once in your life?

Rumor
May 2, 2007, 05:00 PM

No, I think YOU'RE a prick. Just incase any of my local pigs are reading this.
RR busts out the white text.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 05:00 PM

Also, since I keep changing accounts, I'd have a special Mod account, which would require a heroic/arrogant name.

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 05:09 PM

How does it feel to be right for once in your life?
Finally!!! The day has come! I have won an argument!

It doesn't feel as good as I thought it would.

Railroader
Banned
May 2, 2007, 05:09 PM

Also, since I keep changing accounts, I'd have a special Mod account, which would require a heroic/arrogant name.
Yeah, like "peter".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 06:51 PM

Changing accounts all the time is dumb. I'm comfortable who I am so I'm never going to change. I'm going to be besson3c forever and ever!

MM-o4
Senior User
May 2, 2007, 07:19 PM

My motorbike (VTR Firestorm) has custom pipes. They are loud with out being silly, Harley's can be silly. I was pulled over for a random breath test and had on of the cops telling me that the EPA will be after me cause of noise pollution. He didn't push it any further and I left (as quietly as possible) after the breath test.
To be honest the noise has saved me from accidents on more then one occasion. So for me it's not just a nice sound to have rumbling along it's also safety. Trucks are way worse.
Makes me think of how many accidents if the future will happen with electric cars just from people not knowing they are there because they are so quiet.

-MM-

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 07:59 PM

A 4 cylinder Ranger, and the "engine is just loud?" And it's a new exhaust? Either it's not a stock exhaust, you've got some exhaust problems in front of the cat, or you've got a serious engine problem. Those just aren't loud all by themselves; I've owned one.

Sounds like there's something else we're not being told. And all cops are pricks, until you need one; generalizations don't help you make a point.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
So Im driving into East Lansing yesterday.. cruising down grand river avenue.. it runs right thru MSU campus.. and I get stopped not once but 3 times in a 5 mile stretch for a loud exhaust.. Each time I had to get out and show the officer that the exhaust was new.. One wrote me a fix it ticket.. and told me that i needed to replace it.. Come on now.. shiny exhaust pipes underneath.. it is new.. So how come some cops have to be real pricks about things.. Post your bad experiences with the cops..
Well, I don't know the whole story, because I can not hear your loud exhaust. But it sounds to me more like a driver with a loud exhaust trying to drive through a quiet zone who is being an ASSHOLE.

Sorry for being rude and too the point. There's always more than one way to see things.

Get your muffler changed.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Wow, if they are loud enough to get pulled over three times in five miles I guess I would have to agree with the cops. Get em fixed! I hate loud exhaust pipes.

Some might consider *you* the prick for having such a noisy machine on purpose.
Oh damn, someone agreed with me.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4 View Post
My motorbike (VTR Firestorm) has custom pipes. They are loud with out being silly, Harley's can be silly. I was pulled over for a random breath test and had on of the cops telling me that the EPA will be after me cause of noise pollution. He didn't push it any further and I left (as quietly as possible) after the breath test.
To be honest the noise has saved me from accidents on more then one occasion. So for me it's not just a nice sound to have rumbling along it's also safety. Trucks are way worse.
Makes me think of how many accidents if the future will happen with electric cars just from people not knowing they are there because they are so quiet.

-MM-

A lot of cars are quiet as they approach you. They are only loud after they pass, and the danger is already gone.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 08:56 PM

Now I go there a lot for shopping and a lazy afternoon "window shopping" with my wife.
Is Railroader owned?

Is that the correct expression? It's hard to be make fun of people when you don't know the correct terms.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 09:33 PM

I did have one really shitty cop experience this past month...

Background: in Indianapolis, posted school zones are 25mph on school days fropm 7:00am to 4:30 pm. It's a shitty law, and surrounding counties just say "when children present" - the time limit is pretty retarded, but it's been more heavily enforced in the last few years. A ticket for speeding in a school zone is usually close to $200 (this is just last time I checked, at least). If you're going at least 20mph over the speed limit, it's considered reckless driving - so 45mph in a school zone could get you nailed with a $400+ ticket.

I'm driving in one such zone during a work day (had to take my kitty to the vet to get declawed), and I'm making sure to go exactly 25mph - cops love to set up stings in this particular school zone. I see in my mirror two cars gaining on me - a silver Impala with tinted windows and a black Malibu. Both are going, by my rough and uneducated guess, 40mph+. I say to myself "you'd both better watch out...if there's a cop around, you're ****ed".

I proceed on this street through to where the school zone ends, and the limit goes back to 35mph. Not far down the street from this school, the limit drops to 25mph because it runs right through downtown Indianapolis. I'm going maybe 30mph in this 25mph zone, and this Impala is suddenly behind me, tailgating the hell out of me. He's being an aggressive asshole during lunchtime in downtown Indy - a time when there are a hell of a lot of pedestrians around. I'm not interested in killing anyone, so I slow down. He continues to tail me. I hit my brakes...

...and the little fücker flashes his hidden cop lights at me, like I'm doing something wrong because he's tailing me.

I typically have respect for cops. I've got plenty of aquaintances and friends on the police force, and I usually give them plenty of space. This was a dude in an unmarked car (no visible lights, tinted windows, standard Indiana state license plate) who did not appear to be on duty. I've heard about how sometimes cops might drive really fast on a street or on a highway, but they might be trying to stay low and don't want to turn on their lights or sirens. I don't, however, buy that it's permissible for a police officer to aggressively tailgate someone in a low-speed, high-risk area as a way to get through a block of traffic. If he needed to get past me, he should have turned his lights on or momentarily hit his siren to get my attention. He was being a dick.

To the OP - if you have never been to Indianapolis, we have this monument in the middle of downtown Indy. There's a circular street that surrounds it, with four spokes that stick out of it - hence it is called Monument Circle. I used to work at the Starbucks located on this circle. During the summer, little pricks in riceburners and hoopties will cruise around a one-block-diameter circle, going five miles an hour, blaring their ridiculous FittyCent "rap", with their little neon lights turned on and their custom exhaust pipes belching fumes and incredible noise. It gets so bad sometimes that the police have to shut down the circle at night so that others (including people paying good money to see our symphony orchestra at the theatre that is located on the circle) can actually move around without being intimidated and irritated by teenagers with too much money to blow on their stupid cars.

I'm guessing if you were stopped by a police barrier from getting onto said circle to show off your precious vehicular penis, you'd be bitching about that on this thread, too.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

MM-o4
Senior User
May 2, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
A lot of cars are quiet as they approach you. They are only loud after they pass, and the danger is already gone.
ture I understand the science of that also.
But have you seen any videos of how freakishly quite electric sports cars are?

-MM-

Forum Links
Forum Rules