Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Brand new 60GB 5G, Pics inside

Brand new 60GB 5G, Pics inside
dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 09:45 PM

Ran down to the Apple store today and picked up a brand new 60GB 5G iPod to replace my old B/W 20GB 4G. Also picked up a black 30GB for girlfriend. Here are some quick pics of my 60, which is loading my music as I type. More pics to come, along with 30GB black iPod pics when she opens her's.

Click here for iPod pics

Let me know what else you want to see.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 18, 2005, 09:53 PM

Sweet, That does look like a mighty fine screen there on it, download some video and give it a whirl and let us know how it is...
- Eric

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 10:03 PM

please check about the audio recording "feature" ......

is it in "extras"?

Jakeypooh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 10:03 PM

I like it, does the screen look natural? I mean, the screen looks unaturally big...

dracoleb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 10:18 PM

Can't seem to find any audio recording features, must be unlocked by a peripheral. The screen is great, though I kind of wish they hadn't made the wheel smaller, center button doesn't feel quite as solid, twists a little, but that's minor. Videos look great, I'll post a pic in a bit, but that really doesn't do it justice, you have to see it in motion. One other oddity i've noticed is when I have it on shuffle and I'm skipping songs the next song will start playing before it displays the name of the next song, kind of annoying, but not much of an issue.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 10:55 PM

Extras > Voice memos

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 03:36 AM

Voice memos! hmmm .... please try and use this, and plug in your own mic

Jakeypooh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2005, 08:40 PM

Why do you people care soo much about the voice recording?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 09:15 PM

Because they are forgetful?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 09:20 PM

Get a case for it ASAP. your other one looks messed up.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 09:29 PM

got mine today and its NICE! I bought a video and exported it out to the TV and it looks perfect. The screen on my 60 is VERY bright and the "action" is much faster than my 40 gig photo pod. I likey!

took about 3 hours to transfer 6000 songs and 9000 photos (including optimizing the photos)

screen is huge!! A+++++

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jakeypooh
Why do you people care soo much about the voice recording?
To record interviews, and for Podcasting.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

powerbook911
Oct 20, 2005, 01:48 AM

In those pictures, it looks like the 60 gig video is bigger. I thought the dimensions show it being smaller than any full size ipod, except the new 30 gig. What's up?
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 01:56 AM

It may look a bit bigger because the previous generation had rounded edges on the front.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 01:18 PM

I got my 60 Gig Today! Woot and it was scheduled for a tomarrow, Firday, delivery, but I'm not gona compain. Love the new design. This is just a tab wider than my old 1g 10 gig unit, but about half the thickness, and a bit heavier. The screen is just awesome, can't wait to play some vids here shortly on it. Loading it all up now as I type.
- Eric

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 01:45 PM

Kudos to Apple, this thing is awesome! All my videos that I have made with FCP, then converted last week over to iPod format and they look stunning on the display, can't see any real loss of quality, will hook it up to the TV over the weekend and let it rip!

<--- One very satisifed Customer!
- Eric

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 02:13 PM

Why'd they have to ruin the box with Bono...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 10:02 PM

Here's my new 60GB iPod, compared with my 20GB 3G iPod (which now belongs to my wife ).
Nearly the same dimensions... the new one is just a hair thinner. Weight is roughly the same. Storage capacity is 3x my old one! Lots of room for pics and video, since I'm using only about 12GB for music at the moment. And 2.5x the battery capacity!

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 02:46 PM

Can someone with an iPod give these a try? I wasn't too bothered about quality, I'm just wondering if they'll play on the iPod at all. They were converted with Videora on Windows (really need to grab that 20" iMac). One's a 4:3 clip and the other is a 16:9 clip (well, 2.35:1 with borders).

Links Removed
( Last edited by dazzla; Oct 21, 2005 at 04:43 PM. )

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 03:54 PM

Will know in one second...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 03:55 PM

Would not allow import to ipod...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by bwatson009
Would not allow import to ipod...
I kind of expected as much, would you be able to test these 2? Another normal and widescreen clip. I've got a pile of DVDs sat here waiting for me to convert ready for my iPod so I don't wanna waste my time.

I've got a feeling the widescreen clip won't work:
Links removed
( Last edited by dazzla; Oct 22, 2005 at 08:26 AM. )

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 04:48 PM

after running the Scrubs clip thru Quicktime Pro, it imports and plays just fine...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 04:52 PM

Fight Club imported without a hitch, plays just fine!
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 04:53 PM

slightly pixely, buts plays fine. You did mention that you weren't concerned with quality right now, so it doesn't matter. Looks like you have the winning combo.
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 05:39 PM

Yeah, wasn't concerned about quality, I just wanted to get the right settings before I went on an encoding spree Did fight club have the correct ratio?

stevenind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 06:04 PM

Question: Do you get a dock with the new color v-iPod? From reading the info on Apple's site, it seems like it is optional now. TIA

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 06:11 PM

It is optional.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla
It is optional.
...and not yet shipping. The Apple store where I bought my iPod didn't have any yet.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 10:21 PM

"...and not yet shipping. The Apple store where I bought my iPod didn't have any yet."

Just like how they had zero options for Nano cases when it came out, including their own nanotubes or whatever they're called. They still have no case offerings in their retail stores...
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

frankbooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by dracoleb
Ran down to the Apple store today and picked up a brand new 60GB 5G iPod to replace my old B/W 20GB 4G. Also picked up a black 30GB for girlfriend. Here are some quick pics of my 60, which is loading my music as I type. More pics to come, along with 30GB black iPod pics when she opens her's.

Click here for iPod pics

dracoleb,

Which store did you get your IPod from? I see that you're located in Santa Clarita. I'm in Woodland Hills. Is there a store local to you that has them on the shelf? My black 60GB is scheduled to ship on or before the 27th but I would cancel in a heartbeat if I could grab one off the shelf right now.

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 08:32 AM

A guy over at the macrumors forums claims 640*360 in MPEG4 is working fine on the iPod video. It's based on 480*480 being 230400 pixels and that being the limit of MPEG4 playback on the iPod. As such 640*360 should be fine. A few on the thread have tested it and say it works. 640*360 videos that can be played on the iPod would be much better for a) running on TV via TV Out and b) viewing video via Front Row. If you could give it a test bwatson009, I also encoded one myself:

640*360 Sample

video at that res seems a whole lot more useful, it's not just limited to the iPod, it's watchable on other devices which is cool.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
A guy over at the macrumors forums claims 640*360 in MPEG4 is working fine on the iPod video. It's based on 480*480 being 230400 pixels and that being the limit of MPEG4 playback on the iPod. As such 640*360 should be fine. A few on the thread have tested it and say it works. 640*360 videos that can be played on the iPod would be much better for a) running on TV via TV Out and b) viewing video via Front Row. If you could give it a test bwatson009, I also encoded one myself:

640*360 Sample

video at that res seems a whole lot more useful, it's not just limited to the iPod, it's watchable on other devices which is cool.
New clip plays just fine on the ipod and looks better!

Sorry for the delay in testing...

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 01:16 PM

No problem thanks for testing. Glad to know it works!

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 05:58 PM

Might as well show you my cookies and cream

myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dracoleb

Click here for iPod pics

What kind of camera do you have quality is great.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules