Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How will this effect the ATT exclusivity?

How will this effect the ATT exclusivity?
macdevil
Oct 28, 2007, 10:28 AM

http://http://www.macnn.com/articles...unlock.phones/

I realize this is a Sprint issue, but it seems to me that sooner or later it will filter down to all carriers, including ATT. That being said, two questions come to mind.
1. What is the time frame until either ATT or Apple has to unlock iPhones for other GSM carriers?

2. Since Apple's agreement with ATT is so heavy on customers staying with ATT (up to $18 per month per customer), what are the possibilities of Apple and ATT changing their agreement and Apple selling a CDMA version?

I am sure #1 will be before the Apple/ATT exclusivity contract ends, but GSM is a crap shoot as far as reliability where I live no matter how much money ATT throws at upgrading their system. Not to mention the EDGE system...
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 10:56 AM

Well if what happens in France is going to happen then a push for unlocked iPhones may come faster than expected. France carriers are required to sell an unlocked version (for a higher price), but no word on what exactly is going to go down.

Also, while Apple has the exclusive with AT&T I do not think they will ever really out right sell a "unlocked" phone in the states or other places the government forces them to. They may charge a 100 (or more) fee in a few years to unlock the phone, but besides the fee I am sure they will put many other rules in place. Such as, time of ownership of phone must have been X months (or years maybe), there are more but are a bit extreme though I would not doubt AT&T trying to force it to happen.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 02:46 PM

Well, AT&T has an exclusive agreement to carry and sell the iPhones. Until we know the exact terms of the agreement, we could assume that the contract could include carrying and selling an unlocked version of the iPhone.

That said, unless Sprint were to switch to GSM-based cellular technologies, them selling unlocked phones means nothing and has no point.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Cold Warrior
Oct 28, 2007, 03:18 PM

Sprint is lucky to still have customers and that their cellular infrastructure works at all after the Nextel integration debacle.

I'm dumping them when my contract is up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules