Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > 200x50 vs. four lines of text

200x50 vs. four lines of text (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 04:28 PM

It looks like a bunch of boxes falling into a bunch of line the Dreamer. And some very tiny text which looks like it was obviously resized smaller.

That lady in your sig looks just like a lady I know Dakar.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 04:30 PM

The text was blurred out a bit so as not to be able to be read.
It is just the title of the image written on top, but you see something I do not or visualize it differently than I do which is what the point is.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 04:31 PM

I grew up way, way after the Beatles too.

But yeah, if you don't know the Beatles, I don't expect you to be able to figure it out. Just think its clean cut and dapper.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
The text was blurred out a bit so as not to be able to be read.
It is just the title of the image written on top, but you see something I do not or visualize it differently than I do which is what the point is.
So, you blurred two point text?

EDIT: upon closer inspection it is 3 point text. Still, why? And you can clearly read the word symphony in it.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer

I know the Beatles at my current age, when I was younger they were not an "it" thing I listened to. I have come to like them more and more over the past few years, along with a bunch of other groups from a similar time period.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
So, you blurred two point text?
Yeah so?
Should I have used a different filter on the text?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I grew up way, way after the Beatles too.

But yeah, if you don't know the Beatles, I don't expect you to be able to figure it out. Just think its clean cut and dapper.
The Beatles are pretty ageless. To not know about the White Album is just simple ignorance and a lack of knowledge of American Culture.

Side Note: I named my daughter after a Beatles White Album song. Hint: it's not Rocky Raccoon.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 04:38 PM

Yeah so?
Should I have used a different filter on the text?
I guess your sense of art and creativity is way beyond mine. i'll bow out of this discussion where I am clearly out of my league.

Good day sir.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 04:39 PM

The Beatles are pretty ageless. To not know about the White Album is just simple ignorance and a lack of knowledge of American Culture.

Side Note: I named my daughter after a Beatles White Album song. Hint: it's not Rocky Raccoon.
Umm....wow.
No offense, but I grew up liking classical music and while the Beatles was something I enjoyed I never bought, learned, or was to in depth in them so not everyone must know about the Beatles, or know everything about them (or specific things).

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 04:41 PM

American Culture? lulz, I say

Let me guess, you named her after her conception. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? seems like an awfully long name though.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 04:58 PM

American Culture? lulz, I say

Let me guess, you named her after her conception. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? seems like an awfully long name though.
I'll bet they had more fans in America than they did in England. (I am more than prepared to lose that bet though)

Close, and another hint, it's not Dear Prudence.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 05:00 PM

Umm....wow.
No offense, but I grew up liking classical music and while the Beatles was something I enjoyed I never bought, learned, or was to in depth in them so not everyone must know about the Beatles, or know everything about them (or specific things).
No offense taken. It's your ignorance.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 05:02 PM

I'll bet they had more fans in America than they did in England. (I am more than prepared to lose that bet though)
Is this really about pure numbers though? They're a British band.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 05:06 PM

No offense taken. It's your ignorance.
Excuse me?
Just because a band changed your life or something does not mean it did the same for others. I know the Beatles were a great band, I know they changed music, I listen to them currently for inspiration and to enjoy, but just because I am not 100% aware (as it seems you are) of every little thing about them does not give you the right to say "It's your ignorance."

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 05:23 PM

And David Hasslehoff is a major part of German Culture. I'm not saying the Beatles are exclusively American, but they are a major part of our culture.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 05:33 PM

Excuse me?
Just because a band changed your life or something does not mean it did the same for others. I know the Beatles were a great band, I know they changed music, I listen to them currently for inspiration and to enjoy, but just because I am not 100% aware (as it seems you are) of every little thing about them does not give you the right to say "It's your ignorance."
I have the right to say just about anything that is not against the rules here. It may not be the right thing to say, but I do have the right to say it.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 7, 2007, 05:58 PM

play nice folks.

and clearly her name is Sadie, Julia or Martha. or Bill.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
play nice folks.

I have my money on Sadie.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
play nice folks.

Half of what I say is meaning less...
but I say it just to reach you...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2007, 10:44 PM

Her name just HAS to be "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da." It's all it can be!

I personally like the "Cinerama" proportions of the current sig picture guidelines. On the other hand, I have to wonder at all the "my Mac collection" text sigs I see. I'd rather see one line of interesting stuff -about the member- than four lines of cataloging of the member's Mac holdings. I like the quotes, the interesting links, the subjects I never would have though to look into, and so on. And on the picture side, I think a small rectangle makes us have to be more creative-and we all seem to succeed pretty well on that score. For example, Railroader's picture is of an amazing building, Demonhood's is of a Jawa-from a con or something I guess, theDreamer's... darn interesting whatever it is-something about a symphony I think, and of course Dakarʒ's "Venture Brothers" makes me want to figure out just what "the Venture Brothers" is. It's all very interesting and at the same time keeps us from becoming signature-bound like so many of the UGLY forums around. We're supposed to be about content, not someone boasting about things like their parrot's latest word list or that sort of foolishness. And I think the current size picture pushes us to think hard about what we want to use to symbolize us.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 8, 2007, 07:06 AM

Your sig is to simple and boring.
"too" I and it was quite fitting when I added it.
It's a homage to Beatles White Album.

You really are working on a different level here.
I got it as soon as I read the sig's name.
That stole their sound from American culture.

Buddy Holly, Elvis, the Delta Blues... Chuck Berry... all inspirations to the Beatles. With the first few mentioned the Beatles, Stones, etc wouldn't have existed.

Having said that, copying these groups were part of the English culture in the 60s.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 07:03 PM

n00b

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2007, 11:11 AM

u r

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2009, 02:29 PM

This is why it would be really cool if we could include gif's in our signature.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
This is why it would be really cool if we could include gif's in our signature.

This is why we ban them. Frankly, you CAN use a gif picture as your signature. Just not an animated gif. Not only would animated signatures slow down the forums (we won't host them, so every user has to fetch the sig pictures for each and every poster in each thread they look at), but animated gifs like that would drive people crazy. That one is annoying enough, but there are others I've seen on other boards that are intentionally disturbing, at least visually.

Finally, do you realize that you dredged up a thread that's almost two years old JUST to post your annoying fly gif?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules