Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dual display on older MBP's?

dual display on older MBP's?
scotto12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2009, 02:06 PM

hi, total newbie here.

i am currently on a PC, but i want to switch over and purchase a macbook pro before i complete school (multimedia design / animation.) i have read about the new MBP's having dual display capabilities, and i am wondering if the older MBP models have the same capabilities. (because i am looking at possibly buying a used or refurbished older-model 15" MBP to save some money.)

my specific question is: can i use the laptop's screen to hold all my tool palettes while using my external 20" monitor as my main artboard / stage? i am currently using flash, illustrator, and photoshop, and i will soon be getting into autodesk maya.

even my big monitor gets pretty crowded with tool palettes, so i'd love to split it into two screens. but i'd also love to not have to pay 2 grand for a brand new MBP. (my student discount at apple only knocks $100 off the price.) so... any recommendations on the older models? i would appreciate any insight or experiences about this subject that anyone would care to share.

thanks!

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2009, 02:54 PM

Every MBP can do this, yeah.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2009, 03:04 PM

All MacBooks/MBPs, as well as any PowerBook made since 1998 or so, can do dual screens. iBooks cannot (some can with hacks).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2009, 03:39 PM

You have support for pretty much any external DVI (or VGA) display. With the external display connected you have three options to chose from:
- use both displays with mirroring (the external mirrors the internal)
- use both displays with spanning (both displays show separate images but are 'virtually connected')
- closed-lid mode (only the external display is on)

scotto12  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2009, 04:23 PM

okay.

thanks guys, that answers my question. you have been most helpful.

cheers,
scott

SVass
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
All MacBooks/MBPs, as well as any PowerBook made since 1998 or so, can do dual screens. iBooks cannot (some can with hacks).
A minor correction to avoid confusing the newbie.

Some year or two year old Mac Book Pros have a defective video processor that will NOT work in closed lid mode if they run Leopard 10.5.2 or later. Apple will repair them for free through June of next year.
sam

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 18, 2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
Some year or two year old Mac Book Pros have a defective video processor that will NOT work in closed lid mode if they run Leopard 10.5.2 or later. Apple will repair them for free through June of next year.
sam
Damn, that sucks. Do we know exactly which models are affected by this?

imdipped
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2009, 10:59 PM

I have a June 2007 MBP manufactured in Dec '07 with the bad (GeForce 8600M GT) graphics. I am waiting for it to fail but so far no indication that it will. I am running a 19" monitor in closed lid mode using Leopard 10.5.6.
( Last edited by imdipped; Jan 19, 2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added Leopard 10.5.6)

Urkel
Jan 19, 2009, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Every MBP can do this, yeah.
Every PC notebook can do this too.

I'm not trying to push him either direction, we were all students at some point and being tight on cash isn't fun. The guy obviously is on a budget so he should be aware that this isn't a unique Apple feature and there's a ton of different computers that can fit his budget and needs and they aren't all Macs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 06:19 AM

True, but that wouldn't be switching to Mac, now, would it?

rageman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2009, 11:24 AM

I have a June 2007 MBP manufactured in Dec '07 with the bad (GeForce 8600M GT) graphics. I am waiting for it to fail but so far no indication that it will. I am running a 19" monitor in closed lid mode using Leopard 10.5.6.
If you are buying used, be aware of this. I have the same graphics card in mine (bought used) which hasn't failed, but I feel like its a ticking time bomb. I use two displays most of the time (mbp+external).

Forum Links
Forum Rules