Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme Keeps on Blinking

Airport Extreme Keeps on Blinking
parasbuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2011, 12:16 AM

hi folks... the light on our Airport Extreme continuously blinks Amber. I've tried resetting it by unplugging it and it'll stay Green for a couple of days and then goes back to the blinking Amber again. I've tried it a number of times and the same outcome. I have not noticed any major performance issues... recently got 29Mbps download and 700kbps upload on my Mac Pro in another room. So it's more of an annoyance than anything.

Any suggestions on how to debug this thing and get it to stay Green?

Thanks,
Paras.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2011, 05:04 PM

When it starts blinking amber open Airport Utility (in the Utilities folder), choose the extreme in the left column, and click manual setup. This should take you to a summary page where it should tell you the status of the device, with a colored ball next to it. (Green or amber or red) Click on the colored ball and it will tell you why the extreme isn't happy, and we should be able to go from there.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2011, 04:27 AM

Rather annoyingly, Apple have set the light on these to blink amber when the device is not working correctly OR if a software update is available. Since you are detecting no performance issues I would suspect that the device is asking for a software update.

Personally I would rather Apple set the device to say blink green for updates as I've lost count of the number of clients that have called me thinking there is an immediate issue with their device.

As AK says, Airport Utility will tell you what's wrong but I would expect a software update will fix the light.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

parasbuy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2011, 09:00 AM

yup.. you guys are right. it needed a software update... agree with the annoyance, the blinking amber is just overkill.

thanks a lot, guys.
Paras.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2011, 09:33 AM

That one got me a while back. First my Extreme started flashing, making me think I didn't have connectivity when I did, so I dug a bit with AirPort Utility and saw "software update needed." Updated and all was well. So when my Express started flashing, I went to AU first, and yep, another software update.

I think it's good that these things let you know "something needs attention," but I think it should use a different indication for "something is borked" and for "something needs updating." Especially since Apple tells us that the flashing amber light means "something's wrong."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules