Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > disk eject failure

disk eject failure
variozin
May 23, 2007, 01:40 AM

Recently I experienced a strange situation. I inserted a corrupt RW CD, and nothing came up on the desktop, so I opened disk utility, and it couldnt read the disk and beach ball kept rolling. I pressed the eject key, nothing happened. I waited and presses the key again, but no response. I opened the disk utility again but nothing worked. Then I left the machine for a while. After about 5 mnts more A message popped
"the disk in not readable by this computer" with eject option. So, finally it was ejected.

This incident left me with a need to have a emergency eject alternative, if all fails.
anything available??

Nivag
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 05:41 AM

if you restart the Mac with either the mouse button, track pad button or the eject key held down, this will force the optical drive to eject any media that is inserted. (unless it's not a full size disc, in that case you'll need to either open the optical drive or try and fish it out)

variozin  (op)
May 24, 2007, 08:56 PM

So, if I press the eject key for say 10 seconds, the disk will be forced to eject, even if it is in the middle of reading?

And what do mean by restarting with the mouse button, or track pad. Is it something different from usuall shut down command? I always go to the apple menu., select shut down and finally OK.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 09:01 PM

he means hold the left mouse button (or the trackpad button on a laptop) when the computer is starting up and the drive will be forced to eject the disk
Signature depreciated.

variozin  (op)
May 25, 2007, 12:38 AM

WOW.. Thanks for clearing the confusion..

Forum Links
Forum Rules