Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > General bag question

General bag question
canadian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 02:43 AM

I will be buying a bag tomorrow for my 13" macbook.

When a manufacturer specifies a certain size, how much extra room do they allow? If I were to get a "small" sized backpack (for 13.3" computers it says) will this allow enough room for a "glove" or rebound sleeve too? Or should I get one size larger?

Thanks

canadian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 01:47 PM

What will fit better?

One is made for a 13.3" laptop, the other is made for a 15.4" laptop.
Which will be better for a 13" MB?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 02:25 PM

well the macbook is 13" so i would say the 13.3" bag. seeing that 15.4" is macbook pro size

canadian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 06:54 PM

I got the 15.4 size so there would be plenty room with a sleeve. Hopefully this isn't a mistake.

variozin
Jul 30, 2007, 12:09 AM

so how is our macbook doing in your 15.4" bag? Do you keep extra stuff in it to make a fit. I am also looking for a back pac for my MB. Mostly available are for 15.4" laptops. I just think if I buy any of those I will stuff in a cleaning cloth. Or just keep the MB along with its sleeve that I currently have.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2007, 12:29 AM

I have a medium Timbuk 2 laptop messenger, which fits up to 15.4, with my Macbook, and I've noticed no problems at all. It really only is like .75 an inch on either end, very little.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2007, 10:13 AM

Why not just buy a sleeve that fits your laptop perfectly (e.g., the Waterfield Design sleeve at SFBags - WaterField Designs - Page Redirection), and then use whatever backpack/bag you want? That way the laptop is protected, you can have as large or as small a backpack/bag as you want/need, and mostly, it does not scream "Laptop inside -- steal me!".
Mary

canadian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2007, 08:01 PM

I bought a sleeve that fits the MB perfectly, so it will be protected...

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Why not just buy a sleeve that fits your laptop perfectly (e.g., the Waterfield Design sleeve at SFBags - WaterField Designs - Page Redirection), and then use whatever backpack/bag you want? That way the laptop is protected, you can have as large or as small a backpack/bag as you want/need, and mostly, it does not scream "Laptop inside -- steal me!".

variozin
Jul 30, 2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Sleeves like I have wont protect against shocks. dedicated laptop bags have thick pads all around (specially on the base, which is very needed), so I wonder if MB just with a sleeve inside a back-pac will be safe enough.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 10:54 AM

The waterfield sleeve is padded all around. As much padding as any laptop bag I have ever seen. I regularly use mine in a standard backpack for traveling, and often in just a tote bag when I want to bring it to work.
Mary

Forum Links
Forum Rules