Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > can it get infected?

can it get infected?
variozin
Aug 18, 2007, 03:16 PM

since couple of days i have noticed net surfing quite slower than before. Web pages are taking much time to upload than before. Are there any possibilities that it got infected by virus or some kind of spyware?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2007, 03:46 PM

No. With a Mac, slow browsing is never a reason to worry about anything like a virus or spyware. In fact, there are neither out "in the wild" waiting to infect you. (That doesn't mean you should go around clicking on everything in sight while you surf, but at least you won't "catch something" if you go somewhere that's not terribly nice.)

However, a good thing to try is to turn off EVERYTHING between the wallplate that your Internet connection comes into the house through and you, including your computer. Leave it off for a few minutes. Then turn it on, one device at a time, starting at that wallplate and working to the computer. Give everything at least a full minute to come on and finish starting up properly. Most of the time, slow surfing has more to do with consumer network equipment not being built to "mission critical" standards-the microcomputers in these boxes suffer from memory leaks, stuck process loop problems and other issues, and a reboot is just about all you can do to fix 'em.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

variozin  (op)
Aug 19, 2007, 10:13 AM

thanks for an elaborate explanation. does it have anything to do with preference files of any app. Because recently I removed windows media pref files in-order to remove WM player from my mac completely.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2007, 11:22 AM

I don't think so, but I can't totally rule that out. Have you done the restart thing I mentioned?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 03:00 PM

Safari has been known to have problems with its user/library/safari/icons file filling up beyond belief and slowing the world down. It should be emptied and made read only and then locked. sam

variozin  (op)
Aug 20, 2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
Safari has been known to have problems with its user/library/safari/icons file filling up beyond belief and slowing the world down. It should be emptied and made read only and then locked. sam
Dear SVass,

thanks for your information. Please guide me how to do the same i.e. making it read only and locking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules