Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My MacBook Pro 1.83

My MacBook Pro 1.83
Mitsucreep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 05:47 AM

I bought a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro from the Apple Store last week. I upgraded from a PowerBook 1.33 GHz 15" PB. The machine is very nice. So far, I have had no problems with functionality of the unit. No whining or speaker issues. No stuck pixels. The performance is good. Photoshop CS runs as fast or faster than my 1.33 PB. Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

I have a few questions for the forum. My screen is very bright and impressive. However, at the bottom of the screen there seems to be a slight horizontal dark haze. In the lower right hand corner at the end of this horizontal dark haze, there is an anomaly in the illumination. If anyone has seen the bottom of a PSP screen, the effect is similar. You would have to be looking for this to even notice it. I am very critical, especially when I first make a purchase such as this one. Hopefully my description is suffice for someone with a similar problem to identify what I speak of. Has anyone else experienced this? I am debating whether or not to contact Apple or possibly go to the Apple Store and get their opinion on the matter.

Also, the DVD drive is odd sounding. It doesn't sound as smooth as my PB. It reminds me more of my old 1G Ti which ultimately turned out to be a lemon and ceased functioning. Is this common? It is rather obnoxious sounding.

Lastly, I am curious if anyone's system install discs that came with the machine were sealed at the time of purchase. Mine were not and they were ever so lightly scratched when I opened them for the first time as if they had been used before. Can anyone think of why this would be so?

BTW - Hello everyone. This is my first post, but I am a long time lurker.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2006, 07:58 AM

I got my 1.83 on thursday morning and I've heard the magic whine, but only when running on battery. When running Photo Booth it stops, so I guess I can live with it, but worried that Photo Boot would drain the battery faster than it need to do.

I did notice the haze too, until I found the perfect angle on my screen, now every corner, every side is clear and bright. So see if you can find a perfect angle for your screen. I not, that you might have to talk with Apple.

The CD/DVD-drive is a lot louder and noisy on mine, but had no problems burning disks and it about the same noise I'm used to from my old 1GHz TiBook and that drive never broke, it was the monitor that died.

The envelope with the disks were not sealed either, but the black box that came with the manual (ok, whatever) and the warranty papers and the disks were sealed, so I don't see why worry about the envelope itself.

Welcome to the forum!
/Petra

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2006, 09:23 AM

Take another look at the box your computer came in and notice the round plastic seal. Are there two--one on top of the other? This might be hard to notice if you're not looking for it. If there are two seals then yours was a return that was reshipped. When I purchased my PB a few months ago there were two seals. When I opened the box the computer was scratched all over and had clearly been used. I called the Apple store and at first they would not return the machine but after pointing out the double seal and the cosmetic damage they made an exception. I wouldn't have cared about a used computer had it been in new condition.

I wouldn't worry about the disks not being sealed as long as they work. I think you should definately call Apple and ask about your drive and screen issue though--get it resolved while you are still within your 15 day return window.

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 09:27 AM

The whine is worse for me when on power supply power....

Mitsucreep  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the response fellas.

I am thinking of taking the unit to the Apple Store and letting them have a look. The screen issues are so subtle I really don't know if I should risk the exchange. When I sent my PB to Apple because of the "white spots" problem, I received a new screen that had a dead pixel right in the middle. Unfortunately , in my history of owning Apple laptops I have only had one perfect screen and that was my 240c Duo. I would hate to exchange this unit and end up with one with other issues.

In reference to the install DVD's. Cyberpet, are you saying the black box that says "Designed by Apple in California" was sealed? Mine was not. The discs inside have obviously been used because one of them has what I call "cat scratches" that are typical when using slot loading drives. I am curious as to their use.

One more small issue I would like to discuss is external CRT's. When I hook the unit up to my Dell 19" CRT, the pictures seems ever slightly blurry. I just doesn't seem as crisp as my old PB was. It's not terrible by any means and it may just be my imagination. Has anyone else experienced this? Like I said, I am being extra critical but it is better to resolve issues such as these now than wait till I am fully moved in on the new machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules