Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GTA: San Andreas Kicks Ass!!!

GTA: San Andreas Kicks Ass!!!
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:52 PM

I got this game at 7:00 tonight and just stopped playing(it's now almost 11:00). All I can say is that so far this is by far the best game I have ever played, and it seems that the farther you get in it the cooler it gets. Does anyone else have this yet or plan to get it???

ambush
Banned
Oct 25, 2004, 10:55 PM

My friend will get it. No PS2

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2004, 11:05 PM

yea ill probably go pick that up tommorow

im more eager for GT4

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 11:38 PM

have it ordered but will pick it up some time next week, cash is tight

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Beewee
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:26 AM

Does it clip as much as GTA or crash as much as Vice City?
The 1st one (ignoring all of its design and programming flaws) was fresh and new. The 2nd was an over hyped prequel of a sort with better acting. I'm just wondering if this one is better than its 2 predecessors or is it just another rehashed GTA with a different city, different cars, and different hookers to beat up?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
No PS2
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Myrkridia
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 02:51 AM

I'd rent it, but probably not buy it.
GTA3 was great for the series' first 3D appearance, but there haven't been any real
gameplay improvements since then. Increasing the size of GTA Vice City was just stupid, and I can't believe the developers didn't think to put bikes in GTA 3, seeing how they ALL had em before that.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:35 AM

My friend got his advanced copy tonight. San Andreas is much better than Vice City!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 06:47 AM

argh! I hope they release an Xbox-version soon..

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
argh! I hope they release an Xbox-version soon..
Highly unlikely.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Highly unlikely.
Why? GTA3 and VC sold quite a bit on the Xbox.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Highly unlikely.
Might be a lot sooner then you think.
Who reads this???

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:52 AM

I can't believe they disabled the airplane in GTA3 and you can't shoot down the jumbos with the RPG.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Might be a lot sooner then you think.
i thought they had an agreement with Sony that they would release PS2 first then X amount to time later they would do XBOX and PC

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
i thought they had an agreement with Sony that they would release PS2 first then X amount to time later they would do XBOX and PC
they did. rockstar signed a deal with sony that prohibited them from releasing a gta game for xbox or pc on the same day as it is set to come out on the ps2.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 26, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Why? GTA3 and VC sold quite a bit on the Xbox.

Mike
I think he mean the SOON is doubtful. If anything it might come out in 8 months but that is not worth waiting for, get it for PS2 now if you can.

anywho, it is getting great reviews. IGN called it the best ever PS2 game and gave it a score of 9.9.

Yes it still have graphic problems but they can't really do anything about that with the limited hardware that it runs on.

"Hello, what have we here?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 11:42 AM

i never really minded the graphics, in my opinion graphics don't make the game, its the game play that makes the game, and the game play of the last 2 GTAs have been amazing.

I actually just hooked my PS2 back up and started playing Vice City again, and still love it.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
IGN called it the best ever PS2 game and gave it a score of 9.9.
bold statement by IGN. i'm interested to play it. i am a gta fan but i am interested to see what is making them say "the best ever PS2 game." guess i'll have to pick it up ^^

as2
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
From what I heard on the radio yesterday time X between PS2 and XBox is 12 months.

Got a while to wait, but fable (awesome game) and Halo2 should keep be amused till then.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2004, 02:51 PM

IGN called it the best ever PS2 game and gave it a score of 9.9.
How can they call it the best game ever for the PS2 and still not get a 10.0 like Final Fantasy X?

Anyway, I'm sure it's a great game.

Mike

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 04:38 PM

The cimamatic (SP?) camera is ace (if a tad useless), really well done, the 'chopper' one looks just like a news copter type TV shot
:ossible Spoiller::
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
Base jumping with the parachute is especially cool. you can only use the chute once though. info on where to find it here

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Might be a lot sooner than you think.
Than'd

cold_reality
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 04:41 PM

How can they call it the best game ever for the PS2 and still not get a 10.0 like Final Fantasy X?

Mike
IGN is a bunch a "yes" men. They are completely biased and just hype and over hype any game that comes out. I go by extended plays 5 star review. A 2 star game can still get a 7.0 - 7.9 from IGN. IGN does have more reviews but I think thats the problem...burned out from playing too many video games.

...completely against political racism!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 04:48 PM

Mike
Even stranger they say it still stutters and has pop-in graphics and the total equals 9.9?

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 06:00 PM

The reviews leave me wondering. It sounds like RockStar mixed GTA3 with a dating sim and an RPG and released it as this. For those that have it, what do you think of the new gameplay elements?

My copy should come in the mail this week, I ordered online from Gamestop after listening to a stressed out EB games rep scold me over the phone for not pre-ordering when I called to ask if they had a copy in stock.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
I ordered online from Gamestop after listening to a stressed out EB games rep scold me over the phone for not pre-ordering when I called to ask if they had a copy in stock.
ahah i plan on that happening with halo 2 in two weeks. i love doing it because i can only imagine how many people call in and ask if a game is in stock that has been sold out for months. btw i do have halo 2 on preorder

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 07:09 PM

Mike
If it's better than FFX, that isn't saying much to me. Still I'm tempted to get it, but I'm trying to hold out and save money for the games I really want (WoW, Metroid 2, Halo 2, KOTOR 2, etc). MGS 3 will be the first PS2 game I've bought in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time! The crappy thing about working is that I can afford all the games I want but I don't have any time to play them... *sniff* bygone college days...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
The reviews leave me wondering. It sounds like RockStar mixed GTA3 with a dating sim and an RPG and released it as this. For those that have it, what do you think of the new gameplay elements?
Not got to the dating bits yet, but the eating & gym parts are more along the lines of them taking the 'the more you run the more running you can do' bit from the old games and expanding it. It doesn't really intrude much (eating gives you a bit of a health kick, going to the gym enables you to fight better, and you can run in there instead of just around the streets) and I haven't noticed his hair 'growing'

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 07:21 PM

just picked it up about 2 hours ago, the game is crazy, but i had to take a brake.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

Drive by on a bicycle ......

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 08:01 AM

Where has all this negativity come from? It looks pretty amazing to me.

You'd think people would learn about game review scores by now as they've always been the same. Getting 9.9 doesn't mean a game is 1% off being perfect, or that it's 1% less good than Final Fantasy X. You might as well say it's not quite as good as a game that got 10 in 1986 by that token.

It just means that when you're flicking through the magazine, or running your eye down the game list, you know that they think this game is very very good. It's also not an average of graphics, sound, etc. so giving it 9.0 because of graphics glitches would be a bit churlish if you believe it deserves more.

Unfortunately it's not out in the UK till Friday (British developers and all!) so I can only go on what I've read. It seems like a return to the semi-realism of GTA3 which is good. I found Vice City too cartoony with the garish colours and so on. I didn't really find the 1980s styling that believable, but I think I'm in the minority there...

SA expands on all the little sub-games, diversions and general atmosphere building which is what really appeals to me about the series. I can't wait to explore the little towns in the country, enter local races, earn money truck driving, take the train or plane from city to city and so on.

Although I enjoy the missions, it's more an exercise in unlocking different areas for me.

Like I say, I can't wait..

Chris

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
If it's better than FFX, that isn't saying much to me. Still I'm tempted to get it, but I'm trying to hold out and save money for the games I really want (WoW, Metroid 2, Halo 2, KOTOR 2, etc). MGS 3 will be the first PS2 game I've bought in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time! The crappy thing about working is that I can afford all the games I want but I don't have any time to play them... *sniff* bygone college days...
I'm not debating if FF X is better than SA, I'm saying that if they give FF X a 10.0, why do they give SA a 9.9 and call it "the best gave ever for the PS2"?

Put ANY game that they give a 10.0 to and my point still holds true. FF X is just the first one that came to mind.

Mike

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

Anyone get nauseous playing these games? I was alright with GTA3 - I can't last 10 min on VC and I get a huge headache.....

not sure if its the graphics or what...but I get it with RPGs (GTA, Medal of Honor, etc...).

I guess I'll stick to sports games..

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 10:43 AM

I'm not debating if FF X is better than SA, I'm saying that if they give FF X a 10.0, why do they give SA a 9.9 and call it "the best gave ever for the PS2"?

Put ANY game that they give a 10.0 to and my point still holds true. FF X is just the first one that came to mind.

Mike
I understand. But IGN has held that absolute scores aren't really the way they compare games, so there you have it. But personally what I meant was that a site that gave FFX a 10.0 isn't very credible in my eyes, I thought FFX was horrible.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by macroy:
I get it with RPGs (GTA, Medal of Honor, etc...).
medal of honor and gta are RPGs??

not to be a nit-picker but i am just wondering if these are considered RPGs to some of you guys. to me they are not maybe the new gta though i haven't played it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
I understand. But IGN has held that absolute scores aren't really the way they compare games, so there you have it. But personally what I meant was that a site that gave FFX a 10.0 isn't very credible in my eyes, I thought FFX was horrible.
Oh, so you're the one

Mike

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 02:10 PM

any info on what the "secret vehicle" is in SA?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
any info on what the "secret vehicle" is in SA?
Wish it was a Segway but since it takes place in the 90's I doubt it.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 02:36 PM

Is it worth buying a second hand PS2 for this game? I have no PS2 or Xbox, but I do have a PC. I've been watching the videos on IGN and it looks amazing, especially jumping from planes etc.

One thing I do like is the way your gang shoots at other gangs while doing drive by's (sp?).

Reminds me, I need to complete Vice City again...

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Is it worth buying a second hand PS2 for this game? I have no PS2 or Xbox, but I do have a PC. I've been watching the videos on IGN and it looks amazing, especially jumping from planes etc.

One thing I do like is the way your gang shoots at other gangs while doing drive by's (sp?).

Reminds me, I need to complete Vice City again...
I think they changed the controls for drive by's.

Anywho, the PS2 is worth getting for Ratchet and Clank 2 alone.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I think they changed the controls for drive by's.

Anywho, the PS2 is worth getting for Ratchet and Clank 2 alone.
What the hell is that, I heard the IGN guy mention that. Never really heard of it.

wowok1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 09:44 PM

I don't have a PS2 but will get one due to this game and another game called The getaway. Anyone heard of it? It's set in London and it's very similiar to GTA.

Does anyone know if the PS2 supports USB keyboards? I hate using those game console gamepads. Not nearly enought keys.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by wowok1234:
I don't have a PS2 but will get one due to this game and another game called The getaway. Anyone heard of it? It's set in London and it's very similiar to GTA.

Does anyone know if the PS2 supports USB keyboards? I hate using those game console gamepads. Not nearly enought keys.
The Getaway 2 is out in Novemeber.

I enjoyed the first game. It's got a limited lifespan compared with GTA, but it's a really enjoyable game to work through as a kind of film.

The thing that impressed me most was the way the city and the indoor areas fit together as a continuous world - no loading, changes of camera or anything. It's a beautiful game, technically (for a PS2)

Chris

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by wowok1234:

I liked it, but then its not the kinda game you could play for months and months (like GTA). It was too realistic for my tastes .

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by brandon420506:
I got this game at 7:00 tonight and just stopped playing(it's now almost 11:00). All I can say is that so far this is by far the best game I have ever played, and it seems that the farther you get in it the cooler it gets. Does anyone else have this yet or plan to get it???
Is it true that you can only be a black guy?

dillerX
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:27 AM

just got it.

it rocks. will be up all night now.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by CollinG3G4:
Is it true that you can only be a black guy?
Is that a problem?

But no, you can also play as a little sissy girl.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 09:37 AM

overrated overhyped derivative crap

gta3 was the high point cos it was fresh and new , this feels a lot like the tomb raider sequels

same ideas rehashed ad infinitum

*yawn*

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 11:48 AM

Impression after about a day and a half of play:
Good, Bad, Ugly...

Good:
The controls are much tighter. The variety of missions like breaking and entering and stealth stalking help make the overall experience more varied than what was available from the last two games in the series. The world is huge and the environments are well done. The main character can finally swim. Radio stations and good voice acting help make the game world immersive. Some changes make sense, like getting rid of Tiki Idols and replacing them with the ability to spray over a rival gang's tag. Eating food to replenish health makes more sense than finding medkits. There are many mini-games and vehicle-specific missions.

Bad:
The early missions require some work building up statistics before they can easily be passed. You'll have to spend some time early on building up stamina and cycling skills, then more later working on strength and vehicle control. This gives you a good excuse to check out the game world, but felt like a time sink.

Ugly:
Graphics glitches. Ugly edges on objects. A lot of harsh language, which works in the game setting but may not be appropriate if you have kids/parents/easily offended significant others within earshot.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 05:10 PM

Got this game a few days ago.

I still like GTA3 the best, Vice was OK but this one seams better.

what I really don't like is the graphics. The PS2 is really showing its age as the framerate is horrible if you have the slightest action on stage. The colouring is also strange very orange and high contrast.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules