Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Philmont

Philmont
fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 03:09 PM

Any former/current scouts here?

I'm an Eagle Scout and just got off the trail (7/20) of Philmont. I was on Trek 709-A-04 (Itinerary 14). Including all our side hikes, we did about 70 miles, climbing Trail Peak, Mt. Phillips, Big Red, Bear Mountain, Black Mountain, and the Tooth of Time.

Any other former Philmont trekkers/staff?

It was an absolutely incredible experience and was wondering if anyone else had any experiences to share.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:32 PM

I never went to Philmont, but I did do a 50 mile trek through Northern Tier. It was the most fun I have ever had!!! Glad to see another Eagle Scout here.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 03:38 PM

I married an eagle scout who went to Philmont and had a great time.
BTY- He IS ALWAYS prepared!

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I never went to Philmont, but I did do a 50 mile trek through Northern Tier. It was the most fun I have ever had!!! Glad to see another Eagle Scout here.
I've done Northern Tier twice, as well. Awesome experiences both times.

Only thing I haven't done is Seabase...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by fromthecloud:
I've done Northern Tier twice, as well. Awesome experiences both times.

Only thing I haven't done is Seabase...
I think my brother is doing Seabase soon. It might be this week or next, I cant remember. I liked NT so much that I plan on driving up there and going canoeing with my wife one of these days. Very cool!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 03:58 PM

Another Eagle Scout here. Never went to Philmont but have done some Backpacking on the AT. Part of the troop that was the first to hike the entire trail over a number of years.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 04:41 PM

yay Eagle Scouts. Never made it to Philmont.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 04:47 PM

There are quite a few Eagle scouts here on the forums. Nice to see.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 06:02 PM

I just got back also. I was 701-E2 Trek 26
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 06:54 PM

I'm an eagle. I wasn't even a scout when I went to Philmont, though. Maybe 10 years old. It sucked big time. On our hike to lover's leap, one of the leaders got sick, so we didn't get to go out there. Then when we went to shoot bows and arrows, they didn't have the key to get into the storage area, so we sat and listened to some unprepared stories. I don't even remember what they talked about.

My experience at Philmont wasn't the greatest. But we did make ice cream, so that was fun.

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by willab:
I just got back also. I was 701-E2 Trek 26
Awesome. What area were you in?

Our trek was mostly South Country with some Central. On day 7, we went over Phillips.

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 02:14 PM

Awesome. What area were you in?

Our trek was mostly South Country with some Central. On day 7, we went over Phillips.
I think we were south and central also. We did Phillips on day 7 as well. Which side of Phillips did you climb?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

I'm an Eagle Scout... was at Jamboree 2001... Anyone else go that year?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
I'm an Eagle Scout... was at Jamboree 2001... Anyone else go that year?
Same here. I was in subcamp 12. Crossroads of America Council.

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by willab:
I think we were south and central also. We did Phillips on day 7 as well. Which side of Phillips did you climb?
We started from Clear Creek and then went over and camped at Red Hills.

Our trek was:

7/09 � Base Camp
7/10 � Lover�s Leap Camp
7/11 � Urraca Mesa Camp
7/12 � Bear Caves Camp
7/13 � Agua Fria Camp
7/14 � Beaubien Camp
7/15 � Beaubien Camp
7/16 � Crooked Creek Camp
7/17 � Clear Creek Camp
7/18 � Red Hills Camp
7/19 � North Fork Urraca Camp
7/20 � Base Camp

chatwood2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 04:59 AM

I was there about 6 years ago I guess - loved the trip. I don't remember exactly what trek but we did do camp at the tooth of time, had a 2nd dry camp, did a few days in the valle, hiked baldy, and got rained on almost every day.

We also had a day off trail, got lost for about 2 hours because the USGS maps were wrong (fence in completly the wrong spot), but we fared pretty well - another group who was doing the same trek at the same time as us got lost for a few days and was eventually spotted on some ridge by a guy in a fire tower, they were out of food at that point.

Have they increased the meal size? We were a group of 9 so got food for 12, but even with the extra 3 portions we were still very hungry after every meal.

Never made it to eagle scount, I got to star and spent the rest of my scouting life helping to run the troop and enjoying the outdoors (philmont, backcountry canoeing in maine, seabase, hiking on the AT, biked the C&O canal, and a few years to bowman).

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by chatwood2:
I was there about 6 years ago I guess - loved the trip. I don't remember exactly what trek but we did do camp at the tooth of time, had a 2nd dry camp, did a few days in the valle, hiked baldy, and got rained on almost every day.

We also had a day off trail, got lost for about 2 hours because the USGS maps were wrong (fence in completly the wrong spot), but we fared pretty well - another group who was doing the same trek at the same time as us got lost for a few days and was eventually spotted on some ridge by a guy in a fire tower, they were out of food at that point.

Have they increased the meal size? We were a group of 9 so got food for 12, but even with the extra 3 portions we were still very hungry after every meal.

Never made it to eagle scount, I got to star and spent the rest of my scouting life helping to run the troop and enjoying the outdoors (philmont, backcountry canoeing in maine, seabase, hiking on the AT, biked the C&O canal, and a few years to bowman).
Food sizes have changed. When you went they were packaged in groups of four servings. Now they are packaged in servings of two, but none of us went hungry. We had leftover food almost every meal.

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 02:33 PM

I'm an Eagle that's been to Philmont but I can't remember a thing about it!

It's been like 16-17 years since my hike there. Don't remember the itinerary but _do_ remember the number 21 in there somewhere. And, as someone previously mentioned I, also, did Mt. Baldy. Neat. Barren.

I just remember the little things: daily rain shower, momma and baby bear(s), homemade root beer--or was it sassafrass (sp?)--at one of the camps.

Anyway, it was fun.

Uber

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 07:03 PM

ex-Scout. Not an eagle scout. Went to Philmont a lot in my day. My dad and uncle are scout leaders (not my dad anymore).
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 07:32 PM

We started from Clear Creek and then went over
Same here, but we camped at Comanche Peak Camp.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 03:48 PM

My kinda thread!

I'm an Eagle Scout, class of 2001.

I went to Philmont the summer of 2001 w/ 3 other guys from my Troop and about 10 other guys that were awesome. It was such a blast...I HATED the first day and the stinch of New Mexico, but once I let the beauty sink in I loved it. I would never, ever, do it again but one time was incredible. If I went again I probably wouldn't appreiciate it as much. To any Scouts thinking about going, do it, you'll always remember the memories...it really is an experience you'll never get anywhere else.

Be warned, the zero tolerance to not throwing ANY food scraps away is harsh...having to chug leftover turkey slop is pretty hardcore

EDIT: Any cool stories from your treks? The craziest thing that happened to us was we stopped at a camp (forget the name) site with a NICE stream beside it, so we all washed clothes (everything we had) that night in the stream. We then hung them over our tent poles for the night. I awoke in the morning, stuck my head out of my tent, and my face hurt. I looked at the thermometer...25 degrees F. EVERYTHING was frozen block solid. We had haul frozen pants and socks for about 3 hours...about noon it was 105 degrees F...insane!

Forum Links
Forum Rules